Virginia: Wilderness Topic of Meeting on George Washington National Forest - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old April 26th, 2010, 10:45 AM
The Dro
Dro
1988 Ninety

Registry
Virginia: Wilderness Topic of Meeting on George Washington National Forest

Wilderness Topic of Meeting on George Washington National Forest

Friday, April 23, 2010

The U. S. Forest Service is hosting a meeting at the Fairfax County Government Center, 7:30pm on Tuesday April 27th to receive public input on a new management plan for the George Washington National Forest.

Anti-gun Congressmen Jim Moran and Gerry Connolly succeeded in getting a meeting held in northern Virginia in hopes of rallying public support for setting aside land within the National Forest as wilderness. Wilderness can only be established by Congress, but areas identified for wilderness designation will invariably be managed as if they are wilderness. Wilderness designation prohibits the use of motorized and mechanized vehicles. Where public and hunter vehicular access is allowed now, would not be allowed in a designated wilderness area. The Government Center is at 12000 Government Center Parkway, Fairfax 22035 and the meeting will be in conference rooms 9 and 10. Efforts are being made to pack the meeting with environmentalists and anti-hunters.

Please take the time to attend the meeting and lend your voice in support of keeping the National Forest open to hunting and other recreational activities. Hunters need more access to huntable areas, not road closures and access restrictions.

Link: http://www.nraila.org/Legislation/Read.aspx?ID=5761

Please forward this to all OHV groups in the area.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 26th, 2010, 08:17 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Nooo!!!! I just got my 110, and wanted to head over there to run over some squirrels/etc. This is just not fair
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old April 27th, 2010, 07:22 AM
jefhuf
Jeff Huff
'94 D90 ST #655
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
MORE (Mid Atlantic Offroad Enthusiasts) is an organization that helps maintain a lot of the local mountain biking/hiking trails and they are joining in the fight against this as well...

http://more-mtb.org/index.php

I actually got an email about it from them this morning
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 27th, 2010, 08:52 AM
JFD
Julien Dalbin
05 Tdi 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanwind View Post
Nooo!!!! I just got my 110, and wanted to head over there to run over some squirrels/etc. This is just not fair

Damned, spilled coffee all over keyboard
Old April 27th, 2010, 10:57 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
United 4wd and my local club sent out an email yesterday too. I can't make it tonight though.
Old April 27th, 2010, 05:42 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Charles, speaking of this kind of thing, is there any light-wheeling activities going on around here in the near future? I actually was at the Britian on the Green carshow this past weekend in Alexandria and bumped into Paul Warren (owner of Car Doctors / Rover Doctors in Upperville VA) and he said he was thinking about organizing something laid back in the Highland Wilderness Area (http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/wmas/detail.asp?pid=28) which is similar to the GW area. On a side note, Paul was a really cool guy, surprised me how young he was but obviously has a good business model and YEARS of experience (though he doesn't look it).
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

Old April 27th, 2010, 05:53 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
I think I met Paul one time when I hitched a ride with Doug over to the shop. They all seemed very nice (and yes, young).

Runs down to GWNF usually tend to be spur of the moment type things. Someone will post up that they are going and others will sign up. In my case I'll need to plan ahead a little as I have too much on my plate already, but like a nice leisurely ride in the forest every now and then. I *may* be able to do a day trip on May 15th/16th if there is interest, although I might be going down overnight that weekend too (but would be happy to meet up with folks down there is I do).

Anyone else up for some light wheeling down in GWNF or the Highlands WMA (I don't know what trails are open there though)?

charles
Old April 27th, 2010, 06:09 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Actually I tend to operate pretty well on spur-of-the-moment as well (I work from home too, as I recall that you do). I'll put 5/15-ish on the radar in case you do a day trip....on a side note, someone recently mentioned that Land Rover Alexandria has a day event on 5/16 somewhere in The Plains to do some light wheeling so was thinking of tagging along with the 110 (so maybe 5/15 would work better for the "day trip"?).

Are there any trails/roads that you recommend in the GWNF over others? Haven't been through there yet (believe it or not), and if the mood (and time) strikes me maybe I'll do a scouting trip over there before the 15th.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

Old April 27th, 2010, 06:24 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
Flag Pole Knob is always a favorite. I am struggling to remember the names of other (open) trails, but Dictum Ridge, and Long Run come to mind. I'll see if I can find a good link to what trails are open. I have links to the park service maps somewhere too.

These are all near Harrisonburg off RT33.

charles
Old April 27th, 2010, 09:15 PM
jefhuf
Jeff Huff
'94 D90 ST #655
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Jason, when do you head north for the summer? sounds like you and I are looking for the same kind of trip but I won't be able to roll until at least the end of May...
Old April 27th, 2010, 09:44 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
We generally head up to Lake George around mid-June...where are you looking to go to? Let's definitely talk, our place is up in the Adirondacks of upstate NY, very scenic and I can certainly: a) give you a place to crash for the night, b) point you in the right direction for some good scenic tours. We typically go up there from June-August/September for a couple of months. Let's chat soon about this, if you roll up end of May maybe I'd be game for a roadtrip just to get the 110 up there (then come back and grab the "family" later for our summer relocation). Drop me a PM or a call at 703-973-4779.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

Old April 27th, 2010, 09:47 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
I think he means a GWNF run.
Old April 27th, 2010, 09:51 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Right...that did now just dawn on me. I'll blame it on the malted hops. So, to answer the proper question, I will be around until mid/end of June so a late run to GWNF is definitely doable end of May.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

Old April 27th, 2010, 11:26 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

It would be a shame to see it closed. I used to drive around in there all the time when I was at W&L.
Old April 28th, 2010, 02:55 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
Jason, Jeff, and anyone else interested, it looks like a friend and I are going down to GWNF for a day trip this Sunday. Email me if interested in coming along.
Old April 28th, 2010, 10:23 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Email sent (tentatively interested....though I was supposed to go to the Deutsche Mark car show that same day).
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

Old April 29th, 2010, 10:29 AM
jefhuf
Jeff Huff
'94 D90 ST #655
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Charles, I'm sure that I will chat with you via email before then but I can't make it this weekend. Working on Saturday and then taking care of the "honey-do's" on Sunday...
Old May 1st, 2010, 11:35 AM
SeattleRRC
Woody
1990 RRC SWB, 1994 D90 ST

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgalpin View Post
Jason, Jeff, and anyone else interested, it looks like a friend and I are going down to GWNF for a day trip this Sunday. Email me if interested in coming along.
I can't make it this weekend but would definitely like to go with you guys another time. The next two weekends should be free - I typically need a couple days notice to clear it with the social coordinator (wife).
Old May 1st, 2010, 11:52 AM
jefhuf
Jeff Huff
'94 D90 ST #655
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Woody, can you do a mid-week run? I think that may end up being the ticket for Jason and I sometime in the next couple of weeks and I'm sure we can probably talk Charles into playing too...I know he wants to see what the Series can do!
Old May 1st, 2010, 12:17 PM
SeattleRRC
Woody
1990 RRC SWB, 1994 D90 ST

A mid-week might be difficult for me right now - but keep me posted if you select a date.

Jeff, do you have your new truck yet?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
virginia