Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old June 14th, 2014, 03:29 PM
Clemson90
Justin Strange
None

Vin question. Quick turn.

Fellas,

Need help here pretty quickly. I'm in Italy about to purchase this Landy. Issues with the year model. It's listed as an 87 year but using the vin decoder it's not matching even though it's a turbo diesel. Vin is SALLDVAB8AA284531. The year says it's an 83-84 but they didn't actually have turbo diesel back in that year. Thoughts? The dealership is completely legit and car looks good. Just want to make sure for export.

http://www.autoscout24.it/Details.as...rc=st%7Csr&a=1

Please help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 14th, 2014, 03:39 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
That looks like something that would get all hung up at customs. I'd walk and look for something a bit more stock...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old June 14th, 2014, 03:55 PM
jafir
Jafir Elkurd
Flaky Green 198something ex-mod 90

Registry
I have no idea about importing anything, but I don't trust that VIN decoder for early vehicle model years. Microcat says it came with a Turbo.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	turboD.JPG
Views:	183
Size:	84.9 KB
ID:	96776  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 14th, 2014, 04:02 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
1987 could have been date of first registration (I've seen it happen before). Based on CalVIN (below) it does also show 2.5 turbo diesel (NOT to be confused with the Tdi...I don't recall exactly what years they did the 2.5, but they did have it for awhile before the Tdi came on the scene).

SAL Manufacturer code: Land Rover
LD Model: Defender (for early models: Ninety, or One Ten)
V Wheel base: 92.9 inch, but designated 90
A Body type: 2-door: Pickup, hood cab, truck cab, or soft/hard top
B Engine type: 2.5 litre diesel turbo (model 19J)
8 Steering and transmission: Left-hand drive (LHD), 5-speed manual (LT85, LT77, LT77S, R380 or other)
A Model year: 1983, 1984
A Assembly location: Solihull, UK
284531 Serial number
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old June 14th, 2014, 04:06 PM
jafir
Jafir Elkurd

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanwind View Post
Based on CalVIN (below) it does also show 2.5 turbo diesel (NOT to be confused with the Tdi...I don't recall exactly what years they did the 2.5, but they did have it for awhile before the Tdi came on the scene).
That's why I don't trust the models years that come up with that decoded. The Turbo Diesel came out in 1986, and that 90 came with it according to the VIN, but that website decoder says it's an 1983 or 1984. The only sure way to know when it was built would be to send away for the build info. http://www.heritage-motor-centre.co....-services.html
Old June 14th, 2014, 04:06 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quick search it does look like the 2.5 turbo diesel was '86-'90 from what I found on Wiki, not sure if it's accurate. BUT...I'd be more concerned about all the crap bolted onto this thing! Crikey!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	153.2 KB
ID:	96778   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	139.3 KB
ID:	96779  

'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

Old June 14th, 2014, 04:11 PM
Clemson90
Justin Strange
None

I've had friends who imported recently with mods. Engine. Vin. Chassis have to match.

Those vin decoders seem to give you a vehicle based on individual digits.

I'm hoping he typo'd the vin. Turbo diesel was NOT available in those years.

Additional thoughts?
Old June 14th, 2014, 04:13 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
What is ACTUALLY under the hood? I'd have him send you a photo of the vin on the brake booster & frame horn so you can see for yourself.

Then - just to CYA - I'd shell out for the Heritage Motor Certificate. I *think* you can get some immediate details, and not just have to wait for the paper certificate. I've done it before, but was only concerned with the paper cert but seem to recall you could get quicker info.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

Old June 14th, 2014, 04:28 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemson90 View Post
I've had friends who imported recently with mods. Engine. Vin. Chassis have to match.
I meant I'd be more concerned that the mods look bizarre...not that it'd matter at import .
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

Old June 14th, 2014, 04:33 PM
jafir
Jafir Elkurd

Registry
When did push button doors come out? 1988?
Old June 14th, 2014, 04:34 PM
Clemson90
Justin Strange
None

Pic attached. Looks like a turbo to me. Sent an email back to dealer to double check. What's bizarre about the mods?

Thoughts?
Old June 14th, 2014, 04:53 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by jafir View Post
When did push button doors come out? 1988?
Yes, '88 for push-button. That may be an upgrade that needs to be un-done.

------ Follow up post added June 14th, 2014 04:58 PM ------

Quote:
Pic attached. Looks like a turbo to me. Sent an email back to dealer to double check. What's bizarre about the mods?

Thoughts?
No pic came through?

As far as the mods, that front light bar (or is a roll bar?) for one. Comes WAY out from the windscreen, and either bolts to the checkerplate or goes through the top of the wing to attached to where? Strange connection spot/point. Same goes for that rear lightbar on the roof. Also just not crazy about all the bolt-on ladders, corner guards (that appear to be free-floating, I'm not sure they'd offer any real protection), and a very large (what looks like 4"+) lift on small mail-truck-looking tires .

However, these just aren't my "bag", but regardless all these can be un-done if they aren't yours either...but I'd start with the Heritage Certif and/or verifying the vin & go from there.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

Old June 14th, 2014, 05:12 PM
Clemson90
Justin Strange
None

There is the pic. I guess I'll wait to hear but this is looking to be too much work to do in Italy before September.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	260.5 KB
ID:	96782  
Old June 14th, 2014, 08:40 PM
broadstone
Chris
'84 CSW 90 '74 NADA III '97 CSW 110

Registry
My old LHD 90 with 2.5DT was built in March of 1987 and had the A for the date code. I knew the truck was original and the heritage trust cert. verified it was all original. I cannot remember where I read it, but I recall something describing how the A code was used up until 1987 on some trucks , but as far as why who knows. May have to do with the trucks being ROW and not UK(home market) spec. trucks, I would say yours is original.
Old June 14th, 2014, 09:57 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Additional thoughts?
Don't get carried away sparky, there is quite a bit more to it. Modifications are case by case and what gets in depends a great deal on the officer processing your entry. I have seen alloy wheels result in a seizure, replacement interior result in a seizure, suspension (garish obvious QT stuff) result in a seizure, brake up grades, replacement doors that aren't year appropriate etc. The letter of the law is "any" modification from how the truck was built can be considered a modernization and void the vehicles eligibility for a DOT waiver. Isn't this the second thread you have started asking about this particular truck ?

I'd suggest spending a few quid and getting in touch with the British Motor Heritage Museum archives dept for the exact build date and specs instead of trying to make an uninformed decision based on internet advice and free VIN decoders.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
vin