Veterans Day - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old November 12th, 2007, 10:31 AM
Rod Hayward
Rod Hayward
95 D90 Green #2288

Veterans Day

My humble thanks to those on this board who served, or are currently in harms way.

"We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm"

W.C.
Advertisement

Old November 12th, 2007, 11:59 AM
themaxx
Ade
94 ST

Registry
Happy Veterans Day!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod Hayward

"We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm"

W.C.
Not to take anything away from this post, buddies of mine were in a heated debate recently enough about that same quote. One swears up and down it's George Orwell's quote and the other says Winston Churchill.

It reminds me of Jack Nicholson's quote from A Few Good Men:
Son, we live in a world that has walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with guns. Whose gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinburg? I have a greater responsibility than you could possibly fathom. You weep for Santiago, and you curse the marines. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know. That Santiago's death, while tragic, probably saved lives. And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, saves lives. You don't want the truth because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that wall, you need me on that wall. We use words like honor, code, loyalty. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punchline. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said thank you, and went on your way, Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a weapon, and stand a post. Either way, I don't give a damn what you think you are entitled to.

Old November 12th, 2007, 12:08 PM
jimmy salmon
jimmy salmon
94 D90 AA Yellow

* "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
o Alternative: "We sleep safely at night because rough men stand ready to visit violence on those who would harm us."
o In his 1945 "Notes on Nationalism", Orwell did state that, for the pacifist type of a nationalist, the notion that "Those who ‘abjure’ violence can only do so because others are committing violence on their behalf." is impossible to accept. "Notes on Nationalism"
o Notes: allegedly said by George Orwell although there is no evidence that Orwell ever wrote or uttered either of these versions of this idea. They do bear some similarity to comments made in an essay that Orwell wrote on Rudyard Kipling, when quoting from one of his poems.
+ "Yes, making mock o' uniforms that guard you while you sleep" - Rudyard Kipling (Tommy)
+ "I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, then questions the manner in which I provide it." - Jack Nicholson (A Few Good Men)
o Alternative: "We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." - Winston Churchill (miscellaneous quotation, no date)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 12th, 2007, 12:18 PM
themaxx
Ade
94 ST

Registry
So WC then...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat