Very Unique Item... - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old September 8th, 2005, 03:00 PM
norros
Nicholas Orros
1995 NAS D90 SW

Well color me shocked...

After taking CVC's advice and contacting Land Rover Enthusiast I am quite pleased for 2 reasons...

The first is that they were understanding of my problem and after sending them a link to this post on the D-90 Source they saw where I was coming from and are going to contact the 'seller' and hopefully get it all straightened out. I do have to send a 'full email' but I'll mostly copy what I need from this post.

The second is that he (one of the shareholders of the company, so I trust him more.. as opposed to the seller above who doesn't work for the magazine, he just writes articles every now & again).... knows a guy who's making REAL MODELS, metal one's, remote control one's...

THEY ARE INSANE ... Check out the pics. The only downside is the cost, which will run around 250 GBP... but just check out the pics and supposedly it's remote control. The guy from LRE that I spoke with said that they are going to have an article in the next issue or issue after that of this neat model.

In any case, JUST got the info and am going to email the 'builder' of this model/remote control D-90 and get the specifics, lead time & costs...

I of course, will probably be the 'test pig' again, which is fine ... But I might do it.

It was so funny... This guy was hearing me bitch (like I could do that right ? ) and then he was like ... "... Check your email..." and my tone completely changed... Guess you had to be there...

Anyway... here's the pics.

Nicholas Orros
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	defender4.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	62.9 KB
ID:	3764   Click image for larger version

Name:	defender3.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	3765  

Name:	defender2.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	77.8 KB
ID:	3766   Click image for larger version

Name:	defender1.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	70.6 KB
ID:	3767  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 8th, 2005, 03:04 PM
LRNAD90
Scott T
1995 Defender 90 ST

Registry
Please let me know when you have contact info on the metal r/c model, that looks very enticing!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old September 8th, 2005, 03:17 PM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

Nicholas.. I am all over one or 2 of those remote control ones. Keep me in the loop. I would be into one of the wood ones if the quality was like the originals.

Follow-up Post:

ok.. maybe one if they are 250GBP

Please email one of the current MODs if you need assistance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lriwater: As you know, most wives don't like Series trucks due to the ride and lack of creature comforts. Girlfriends seem to like those, but some sort of magic happens during the wedding ceremony.
[/size]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 8th, 2005, 03:47 PM
Glenn_Guinto
Glenn Guinto
94LWB; 99D1; 06RR S/C

Registry
Damn... those are the most perfect-looking scale model Tornado alloys I've seen. Some of the ones I've seen look so 'not proportion'. The model is cool too. Is that 1:18?

Speaking of foreign models, did you guys catch that one on eBay.de last week? Here is the link...

http://cgi.ebay.de/Land-Rover-Defend...QQcmdZViewItem

I emailed the guy about it and here is what he said...

"Hi,
my name is frank but my english is verry bad. I had build the land rover in scale 1:2 . The defender is a prototype and once of all. The car
goes to a land rover dealer in polland. When i going to build anymore, i don't can this in my garage. The price for a modell is to high. The people must pay 2000 dollar.
so long frank

Email: nicolefraune@aol.com"

That is a cool looking toy and am sure my son will be all over it!

Admin addition: Here are the pics from the ebay sale
Attached Images

Old September 8th, 2005, 03:51 PM
norros
Nicholas Orros
1995 NAS D90 SW

Isn't the detail remarkable ?

I have many questions about the materials used, lights working (?), doors opening, tire rubber (?), etc... If you guys who are interested can think of anything you really would like to know about this that I might overlook please let me know.

The Editor said he may even make them the way you want, he should for that price eh ?
But I'm guessing he may have a hard time on ST's since there's not too many soft tops over there, but he said the guy could probably make it if he had a picture.

So, the Editor (we'll call him) told me to email the guy now if I was interested because once the ad goes in the magazine who knows. But what I will offer to anyone interested is that I again will offer up myself to be the 'test pig' and if it goes well, great... and if not I'll just send it back. And I'll work out a deal with the guy (hopefully) where I'm put on the list for however many before the price goes awry. The Editor is the one who gave me that price because he said it costs the guy about 200 GBP just to build it, so hopefully he's fairly accurate. And I'll just give my slots out to you guys for however many ordered and you can deal with him once I get this all ironed out... Again, not looking for any money (trust me on this), just always on the lookout for 'Cool D90' things... some LR too, but mostly the D.

As always I will post any and all information I get here.

Nicholas Orros

Old September 8th, 2005, 03:51 PM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
Whoa. That kid-sized model is over the top...
Old September 8th, 2005, 04:00 PM
norros
Nicholas Orros
1995 NAS D90 SW

Yeah that is a neat kid sized model, if I only had children. Well Dave, 'Better get Pumping'

Here's the text translated off of eBay:

Country Rover Defender 110 station G4 Challenge, how it is right itself in concerning then rank!! Year of construction 2005 on a scale 1:2!!! Here a absulutes Unikat concerns, about which there is only one copy in the world. The car is about 2.30 m long and including the outside mirrors approx.. 1.07 m broad. The height amounts to with roof luggage 1.25 m. The vehicle is with clearance lights, taillights, Reflecktoren, low beam headlights, Rundumleuchten, 4 auxiliary headlights, ramming protection, Seilwinde(Attrappe), aluminum serrated sheet, roof luggage carrier, high-put air sucking in with Zyklon(Attrappe), windshield wiper (Attrappe)usw. equipped. The left (rear) door and the hecktuer are to be opened and make possible a Zustieg for an adventure up to a body size of 1,75m (in all weather). The model is a prototype. A small series production, which is not realizable however from space reasons with me, was planned. The main headlights, tail lamps, licence plate light, clearance lights and the auxiliary headlights are fully functionally, fed by 12 V a Bleiakku, that approx.. functions to 3-4 hr.. I give the battery charger in addition. We used (as one easily in the pictures to recognize can) a modified Mountain Kettcar as chassis, a which component of the auction is however not. The weight of the Karrosserie(GFK) amounts to approx.. 20 kg. This is a private auction: No warranty, no cancelling. Dispatch by forwarding business after installations possible. Naturally can I also an existing Grosskettcar (mountain, Dino etc..) modify against assumption of the costs and the body cultivate. The wheel base must to approx. 140cm be extended and the trace be widened.

Cool.

N
P.S... Glenn, I don't know what the scale is nor do I know the materials used on the wheels. I haven't heard back from him yet, just emailed him. I will post as soon as I know.

Old September 9th, 2005, 02:32 PM
Rover- Girl

I want one !!!!!!!! Red ( if possable ) ......damn they look good
Old September 9th, 2005, 03:28 PM
Glenn_Guinto
Glenn Guinto
94LWB; 99D1; 06RR S/C

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by norros
P.S... Glenn, I don't know what the scale is nor do I know the materials used on the wheels. I haven't heard back from him yet, just emailed him. I will post as soon as I know.

Based on the email he sent to me and the loose translation above, he claims it's 1:2 but I find it hard to believe. I think it's a little too small for 1:2. I also don't know if there is some kind of a motorized engine (or even a battery operated one, like the tycos), but I'd be interested to find out.

From what I gather, it's the only one he built and that he originally planned to build a series of production models but either he found out it's too time consuming, financially difficult or a combination of both. On his email to me, it will only be worth it for him if he gets $2K for each. -ouch!

Old September 16th, 2005, 12:56 PM
norros
Nicholas Orros
1995 NAS D90 SW

Ok...

I hope this answers questions from the D90 fanatics (like myself) who have emailed me or expressed interest about this model. I had to wait to get all of the information in order so I apologize for the delay.

And again, once I actually recieve the item, which should be pretty soon, I'll give you my impressions and then YOU can grab the ball from there ... The difference in price on whether I buy 1 or 10 isn't that much, and I really don't have the time to 'ship' it out to everyone so you'll have to 'wing it' like I did, contact the guy and go from there. But after you read the following information that he sent me, I think you're mind will be at ease if and when you decide to order yourself a model. I don't think this guy is a 'rip off' artist. And he gives all the information if you wanted to spend the time & make it yourself, that's pretty honest in my book. (But again... We'll have to wait and see right ?!)

I'm not making any money on this, just spreading the D90 love... He's finishing mine up very soon and when it's shipped I'll give you all the contact information because I'm not waiting over a year for this one like I did that freaking WOODEN MONSTROSITY.

My Email transcripts below:

FIRST EMAIL REGARDING THE DIFFERENCES BETWEEN A REGULAR RC MODEL & THIS ONE:

The differences between the model and the original rc toy are :

1 scratch built roof mounted driving lamps and work lamp ..fully working

2 scratch built expedition roof rack/ladder

3 scratch built bumber/winch with towing eyes/fairlead

4 scratch built steering guard

5 custom interior including ;complete reworking / scratch cubby box /scratch transmission tunnel gear selectors / scratch seatbelts/scratch mats/ scratch grab handle/scratch pedals/accessories/reworked facia with dials.

6 paint job /including weathering/highlighting and shading and mud /dust.

7 scratch built roll cage

8 scratch built snorkel

9 all expedition accessories incl scratch made towing strops/covered spare wheel/boxes/containers/fire extinguisher/bed rolls/tools /chains/ropes/ large canvass roll /pots /pans..national flag

10 jerry can conversion to rear door.

11 scratch built sand channels

12 tree sliders on rear tub

13 all landrover badging /adverts

14 door hinges

I have not got the final cost breakdown as yet, i am still waiting for an invoice from tamiya parts ...as some items are borrowed from their wild willy 2, and juggernaut kits ie clear lens covers, jerrycan, steering wheel.

I am hoping to get the cost down from 250 to 220 per unit plus postage , this is including the full custom interior and all working lights on the roof which i did not do on my model .

I hope this answers your questions , i will try to get hold of a pic of the original to show you, a very general breakdown is 60 for the rc kit approx 70 parts /materials and 90 for all the above work which is about 13hrs in total.

I will send another progress update to show you what i have done so far later today.

(this was a day or so ago...)

SECOND EMAIL REGARDING THE COST BREAKDOWN & PARTS:

The following is a breakdown of parts/materials to make the defender model.

1 Base rc car 57.99 inc next day postage from www.mailorderexpress.co.uk and type defender in the quick search.will give you a picture, and the full spec there.

2 Electrics ie wire/ battery connectors/switches/bulbs to wire up the 4 front roof lights and 1 rear work light 5.99

3 Paint 8 x pots of tamiya acryllic paint @ 1.50ea =12.00

4 Glue == 1x pot of plastic weld glue @3.99,though only a small fraction used = 0.20p
2 x tubes of super glue @ 2.99 ea = 5.98 + 0.20 ...6.18

5 Tamiya parts available at www.golstarstockists.com
tamiya parts bag p for 58256 juggernaut = 4.99 (light lens covers)
tamiya parts bag l for 58242 Wild W II = 6.50 (gear selectors/ steering
wheel/jerrycan + other parts
which are just binned) .
tamiya parts bag h for 58242 Wild W II = 4.99 (components used to make
part of winch and fire
extinguisher + other parts
which are binned)
tamiya sticker bag for 58252 Wild W II = 3.50 (used for stickers on the
expeditian kit and body )
tamiya parts total inc 2.50 postage = 22.48

6 plastic sheet = 1.09
7 plastic rod = 9.05
8 some expedition kit from www.hammerhelm.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk bedrolls/boxes/canteens metalcases/woodwn chest = 3.40 + 2.00 post = 5.40
9 Other fixtures fro dolls house shop frying pan 1.65
pot 2.30
travel case 1.99
rope 0.99
chain 3.00
total 8.95
10 Towing shackles from www.tankzone.co.uk (made in Aluminium, working ,and 4 of each)
11 12x tubes of smarties use the plastic lids to make the lamps 2.50 - let the nippers have
the smarties !
= 1.00

This is all i can think of , i might have missed some small items off, however i have not included in the total the use of my own oil paints , masking tape, brushes, electricity for hand held tool and compressor for airbrush, and time/petrol to get to local model shop thich is a 1hr 20min round trip.... ( have you seen the cost of petrol over here now ...0.98p per litre !!!! ).... thats why only the rich /famous or mad have V8s !!.......oh and all the agro from the Mrs for making a mess !!!!!!

A big part of the cost is the tamiya parts ..this is a 1.10 scale kit ,there is nothing at all on the market in this scale (trust me i have looked )to readily and cheaply use as accessories.

All the military stuff is 1.35 / 1.16 or 1.6 ...all way off , i challenge you to find a 1.10 scale jerrycan anywhere else !!!

This brings us to a grand total of 138.72 + 90 for me to build it =228.72 or 220 if you order more than one .

I think this is quite a reasonable price, bearing in mide it takes about 13hrs to make each one, what i am in effect doing is taking a low detail childs toy, and making it into a detailed model for landrover enthusiasts with many working and accurate features.

These models are uniqe , no-one else i know of does this conversion, and though you can buy model defenders at 1:18 scale they are half the size, no where near as detailed ,and do not have as many features as this, nor hand made .

Yours is the second one in the world !

Also they can be custom made for each client , specifying colour .spec and accessories and degree of wear/dammage /mud.

If you look in a modelling magazine and see how much a proffessional model maker will charge to paint one 1/35 scale figure (about 2.5 inches tall ! then it really shows what good value this is .

I hope this puts your mind at rest , i remember as you said you have been shafted before , but i assure you, as i said, i made the first one for personal pleasure , and have since found that other landy enthusiasts seem to like them too.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Oh, I did specify that I wanted mine in 'new' condition, not ruffed up or scratched up... Yes, it does look better (maybe) beaten up a bit, but I want to do the beating up to it. (you know what I mean).

I'll let you all know how it goes ... and I'll find out how much shipping is... I forgot to ask him about that.

Thanks,

Nicholas Orros
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	5a.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	58.2 KB
ID:	3834   Click image for larger version

Name:	6a.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	3835  

Name:	7a.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	3836   Click image for larger version

Name:	8a.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	3837  

Name:	10a.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	56.9 KB
ID:	3838   Click image for larger version

Name:	9a.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	3839  

Old September 17th, 2005, 08:58 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

WOW, he does a very nice job.
Old September 23rd, 2005, 12:09 PM
norros
Nicholas Orros
1995 NAS D90 SW

Update if anyone's interested...

The guy is emailing me a complete play-by-play on exactly how he is building it, with many detailed pics. I'd do a write-up if some are truly interested.

Nicholas
Old September 23rd, 2005, 12:46 PM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

I am. If these are as good as the original photos, I am down for one at least.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lriwater: As you know, most wives don't like Series trucks due to the ride and lack of creature comforts. Girlfriends seem to like those, but some sort of magic happens during the wedding ceremony.
[/size]
Old September 23rd, 2005, 01:34 PM
norros
Nicholas Orros
1995 NAS D90 SW

Chris,

Of course, I will post the maximum size that the D-90 Source allows... I do have 'slightly' larger pics as well.

In any case, I'm just going to write the 'good stuff' out of his emails since you probably don't want to hear about his hip problem and us discussing wedding realities... LOL.

Email 4 ----->

i have made some good headway over the weekend......the roof rack is finnished bar the small support struts , have added a neat trick - you turn on/off the 4 roof lights by moving the cooking pot forwards/backwards !

The tree sliders on the rear tub are on ,yours have been drilled and screwed on , as on mine with constant handling they kept breaking off, so yours should be a bit more robust.

Side runners are done

Steering guard is done

rear access ladder is done

With regards to the interior ,the seat belts/buckles are finnished and installed, i have added some control stalks to the steering column, cut out the dash cubby holes,and boxed them off from the rear, added the dash top ash tray, heater controls and fitted the foot pedals.

Am still waiting for the Tamiya parts to come in and the plastic rod to do the roll cage , when these arrive i can crack on with the painting...the bit i enjoy the most !

Email 5 ----->

All the construction is now complete , the roll cage is now done ........which proved to be a bit of a bugger, the difficulty is trying to bend one piece of plastic rod in four different directions, get it to fit the width of the car ....and be symetrical !!!! it took me most of the morning to get it right .................................. must have just been lucky on my one !!!!

The snorkel is done too, have also added the little transmission breather pipes which serious landy off roaders fit.

The winch, fairlead, light bar, and D shakles are also completed.

Have also finished the interior ,complete with map, spanner and tin of coke !...i have also highlighted the dial surrounds to give the chrome effect , painted in the heater controls....and given the cubby box a lock !

Off to the paint shop tomorrow for the main body ...the best bit !

Email 6 ----->

Today was spent in the paint shop......or the shed !

First off the model was oversprayed in flat green to highlight any areas in need of smoothing out, then rough areas painted by brush in thicker paint then rubbed down.

The model is then sprayed again in base coat of green.

Seams and creases are then sprayed in broad flat black.

Model is then oversprayed again in olive green letting the black show through,this gives the illusion of shadow over the Landy, the model will be toned down further with a wash of oil paints to give a more subdued finnish and definition to panel lines.

This process is done because if you actually took a real landrover, or any vehicle and shrunk it down to scale size it would not look real due to the way light and shadow plays over the smaller surface area.....thus the effects of light and shadow have to be created.

Will be having a day off tomorrow as i have to let the paint harden before i go any further

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Looks pretty cool so far... and it seems like he takes a lot of pride in his work.

We'll see right ?!

Nicholas Orros
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	alandy_10[1].JPG
Views:	124
Size:	197.4 KB
ID:	3900   Click image for larger version

Name:	alandy_15.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	48.1 KB
ID:	3901  

Name:	alandy_16[1].JPG
Views:	103
Size:	236.4 KB
ID:	3902   Click image for larger version

Name:	alandy_17[1].JPG
Views:	118
Size:	242.4 KB
ID:	3903  

Name:	alandy_18[1].JPG
Views:	126
Size:	238.9 KB
ID:	3904   Click image for larger version

Name:	alandy_19[1].JPG
Views:	116
Size:	205.5 KB
ID:	3905  

Name:	alandy_20[1].JPG
Views:	86
Size:	192.8 KB
ID:	3906  
Old September 23rd, 2005, 01:40 PM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

Damn, thats some fine looking work coming along. Is the top removable on the final version? That is kicking!

Quote:
[/size]
Old September 23rd, 2005, 01:45 PM
norros
Nicholas Orros
1995 NAS D90 SW

Yeah, it's coming along ... I doubt the roof on mine is going to be able to come off because it's going to be the 'expedition' equipped one with some extra's and in the email he states that you turn the headlights on/off by moving the 'cooking pot' on the rack (I think) so I'm sure there's some type of wiring there. So I doubt it. BUT... you can specify directly to him exactly what you want. He'll build it.

I'll take detailed pics when I actually recieve the D-model ... then you can make your decision.

Nicholas
Old October 6th, 2005, 06:45 PM
norros
Nicholas Orros
1995 NAS D90 SW

Well, I got it... It's pretty neat, definitely more of a model but it does go in 4WD or Turbo version 2wd that's just too fast for a D90 RC.

The rack comes off mine with the roof so you can install the battery pack. The front lights turn on and rear 'work light' comes on too if you want. The 4 lights on top of the windsheild work but he rigged it so it needs a 9volt battery to work, and I just haven't had a chance to go get one.

I'll take pics of it and possibly a short video from my Treo650 and can probably just email that to people who are interested. I'm beat right now and don't feel like doing it at the moment... Going to Gainesville tomorrow afternoon for Gator Growl (whatever) so I have to do a bunch of shit....

And for those who want to get one, just reply to this post and I'll send you the information to contact 'the dude'.

Nicholas

Old October 6th, 2005, 07:07 PM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

hook me up with the 411.

Quote:
[/size]
Old October 6th, 2005, 07:43 PM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

I would like the info as well please
Old October 10th, 2005, 08:11 PM
Heath
Heath Ahrens
1995/D-90

Wow... those are cool!
My girlfriend is from J-Berg South Africa.
I think we are going to visit after x-mas.
I should see if I can get one of those :-)
Where is this guy?
Does anyone have current info?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat