Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old October 13th, 2015, 12:11 PM
LR Max
Thomason, Max
1973 Series 3 109

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkonik View Post
Ha you can easily travel 50 miles between fuel stops on the main UK and French highways....
Well we aren't there so shouldn't be an issue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 13th, 2015, 12:39 PM
meatblanket
Mike Simpson
1955 86 1986 ExMOD 110

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by LR Max View Post
Well we aren't there so shouldn't be an issue.
There are some places in the USA where that situation exists, to an even greater extent.
Old October 13th, 2015, 01:06 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I just finished a full nut and bolt build of a new NAS110. Wasn't even a question - 300tdi with a VNT turbo. Bulletproof and no electronics.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Semper Fi!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 13th, 2015, 01:12 PM
LuisC
Luis Constantin
98 Disvovery 1 LE

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by meatblanket View Post
There are some places in the USA where that situation exists, to an even greater extent.
Like St. George, Utah to Las Vegas. Or Corpus Christi to McAllen. Even Big Bend is challenging for fuel if you don't stop every opportunity.
Old October 13th, 2015, 01:27 PM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
97NAS for my DD and a Tdi early 110 for a completely different experience and change of pace.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old December 23rd, 2015, 11:37 AM
Buggy Chief
Tony
2006 Range Rover HSE

What is the best engine for a 110 to tow anywhere between 4,000 lbs - 8,000 lbs? I have a 2006 Range Rover HSE and it does well, but torque is not that great at heavier weights. Thinking of a Defender 110. Thanks in advance as am new to the forum and the Defender world.
Old December 23rd, 2015, 03:11 PM
Paul K
Paul Kennington
'85 Ninety V8 SW

Registry
I went through this, and ended up choosing the V8 option. Main reason is noise- the 200Tdi is better than previous engines but still noisy. You can reduce it but it's still loud. V8 on the other hand sounds wonderful. LS3 even better option.

FWIW, I put a 3.9 V8i in my Ninety SW, to replace the 3.5 Twin carb that was in there. I also swapped to automatic transmission. If I were to do it over, I'd go LS.
Old December 23rd, 2015, 03:19 PM
Jonesy
Craig
87 D110 (Ruby)

Registry
Well if you are towing, and hills or speed area concern then go LS V8, not rover v8, get some HP! If no hills...i.e. Florida....AND you don't want to deal with electric gizmos and relays, ECU's and such then 200/300TDi is the way to go....frankly they are not a great tow vehicle period. If you want the best of comfort, power, towing ability and longetivity....buy a Suburban.
Old December 24th, 2015, 08:28 AM
Mpfish82
Mike
'94 AA Yellow D-90 #690

Registry
Why question is out of curiosity because it has been discussed on the forum before. Has anyone put one of the new Ford diesels being used in the transit vans in a 110 or 90? I think it's the inline 3.5L tdci. If so how would you compare to the LS in terms of noise, smoothness, towing, etc.?
Old December 24th, 2015, 09:10 AM
Grover
Mike
Birmabright Bread Box/Swagger Wagon

Registry
Thumbs up

Rover EFI 3.9L V8, get in, buckle up, and hold on!

Old December 24th, 2015, 09:28 AM
Howski
Kevin
2002 Land Rover Discovery II

Registry
If you're not going to want A/C and it'll be limited to a trail rig a TDI is great. Mine probably wasn't tuned to its potential but it would get to be a pain after a few hours on highway trips to-from events. I'm sure the 33's did not help. The low end torque was amazing on the trail and fuel economy was great as well. All that being said, it's nice being able to hold 75 up a hill with the AC on with the V8. While they are more complex than a TDI, they are simple and you can do nearly all of the wrenching on them with ease. Gas is inexpensive enough now fuel economy doesn't matter a whole bunch, although range is limited if you've got a smaller fuel tank. I dismissed the RV8 initially after moving to a TDI but have come to appreciate it again
Old December 24th, 2015, 09:40 AM
BlackField
Oscar
D110

Ka24det
Old December 24th, 2015, 09:51 AM
Grover
Mike
Birmabright Bread Box/Swagger Wagon

Registry
Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to offend anyone, but I never understood why the TDI is put on a pedistel. Both the TDI and the Rover V8 can break. The electronics on an older EFI Rover V8 are stupid simple. I carry plenty of spares with me, I travelled many times over a 1000 miles one way without any issue. (I've had more problems with my D3 than my D90!) These V8 engines need to be maintained, and when they are maintained, they will serve you well.

Old December 24th, 2015, 01:45 PM
LuisC
Luis Constantin
98 Disvovery 1 LE

Registry
I went Tdi for two reasons. 25 plus MPG is a lot better than 13-14 MPG. And, one rainy day I was driving my 98 Disco and splashed though a puddle on Airport Blvd. Shut me down blocking traffic in the right lane.

Turned out that the crank sensor was dry rotted and cracked allowing water into the connection. Wouldn't have happened with the Tdi. No wires.
Old December 24th, 2015, 02:40 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
For towing 4-8k I would say something like a Ford/Dodge/Chevy truck might be the best move.

I would love to drive a GM LS/LT setup in a Defender. My experience with that engine in my Suburban has been very good for the past 120k miles. I am actually surprised car manufacturers don't just buy that engine and save on engine development costs. Seems like BAT has a different LS swap featured every morning.

Grover - the Rover V8 does a decent job and it's light but I felt when I had a problem with my 3.9 in my NAS 90 I wanted to punch myself in the face trying to fix it. Could just be me and my inexperience tho. When it did run well it was an good experience.

So far what I like about the OM617 is it simplicity and (knock on wood) that it will JUST run. I hope at some point to bring it up to 3.9 outputs. Scrubs is there now and hearing him describe it is like my kids talking about tomorrow morning. Smoke/smell the OM617 isn't bad at all. Noise and vibration are pretty bad now but I am still running bare panels and need to do some motor tuning.

Too bad we couldn't fit a Ford 7.3 into a Defender. I just bought a 2002 F250 for a father/son project and that 7.3 seems to be a good balance of power output, simplicity and noise. Too bad they weigh 1,000 lbs!
Old December 24th, 2015, 02:52 PM
spaeth
Craig Spaeth
93 RRC LWB 300TDI

I have owned both a V8 and currently a 300tdi. I don't see putting either of them on a pedestal as they both do what they do pretty well. My experience is with RRC's and in the US. My 300Tdi has AC that works very well and doesn't greatly affect power. I do believe the previous owner put a fair amount of money towards making that happen. I don't care as much about the mileage (19 around town 22-24hwy) but the range that gives you is great to me. Off road the Tdi is fantastic you can idle along in low range for days at a time and pull 20mpg even fully loaded. Mine will cruise 80 on the highway with very little problem and rolling hills are still in 65-70 range. The steepest parts of real mountain passes can drop to 45-55mph, but I am getting better at avoiding those. You do need to be aware of the EGT's all the time and this can be a pain. My Tdi has enough power that everyday merging and passing are not dangerous by any means but these activities do take some forethought that you may not need with the V8. I like that my Tdi only takes two wires to run and I have been slowly removing as many of the computers from my Rover as I can. I love the dull rumble of the Tdi on the highway but that is in an RRC with lots of sound deadening not in a Defender.

It seems money wise if you want a Tdi find a truck with a Tdi in it. This is what I did. If I was going to pay for or do a conversion I am pretty sure I would choose one of the LS or modern V8 engines. The cost to convert is about the same or less. The motors are bullet proof and parts are easily purchased here in the states. The mileage seems just slightly less than the Tdi but the power problem comes with trying not to end up with too much power. You also don't have to worry about finding fuel, although diesel is usually not that big of deal to find.

Hope this helps.
Old December 27th, 2015, 02:08 PM
Chip
Andrew
1994 NAS Defender 90

I think my sentiment towards this is similar to others. While the V8 and Tdi are alright, neither is great. I'd probably pick the Tdi if I had to choose between them for better fuel economy, but diesels are dirtier (perhaps environmental issues aren't a concern to you) and it probably wouldn't be that fun to drive on the road, but you're probably not going to want to go super fast in a Defender anyways. So as others have said, something like an LS would be much better. If you want something pretty darn good from the factory and you don't mind RHD look for a South African 2.8i with the M52 BMW engine. There could be a few in France, but if not you could probably find one in the UK as Rogers of Bedford imported some back in the day.
Old December 27th, 2015, 07:15 PM
smenzel
Sandro
1967 Series IIA

I've had both the Rover V8 and the TDi. They're both good at what they do but, for the money, I'd think long and hard about an LS. Power, reliability and I hear they even get reasonably good fuel economy.
Old December 27th, 2015, 08:02 PM
Greenbull
Mark Miller
1994 Defender 90NAS #1258

Registry
Thought the original question involved Land Rover v8 vs 200 TDI? I've seen all kinds of hybrid possibilities proposed. I am surprised no one recommends LR3/4 for towing, as they are rated top tow cars!

Anyway in general I love my 300 tdi vehicles, 95 classic and 94 defender, but for towing I have a 2006 Lr3, pulling our trailer 5-6000 miles over the big mountains, forgot it was behind us...

And yes I know it's a jag v8!
Old December 30th, 2015, 09:07 AM
vasily
Vasily
97 D90 SW

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howski View Post
If you're not going to want A/C and it'll be limited to a trail rig a TDI is great. Mine probably wasn't tuned to its potential but it would get to be a pain after a few hours on highway trips to-from events. I'm sure the 33's did not help. The low end torque was amazing on the trail and fuel economy was great as well. All that being said, it's nice being able to hold 75 up a hill with the AC on with the V8. While they are more complex than a TDI, they are simple and you can do nearly all of the wrenching on them with ease. Gas is inexpensive enough now fuel economy doesn't matter a whole bunch, although range is limited if you've got a smaller fuel tank. I dismissed the RV8 initially after moving to a TDI but have come to appreciate it again

I'm pretty sure I remember having a hard time keeping up with you on the highway and back roads...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
tdi, v8