Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old March 14th, 2009, 06:47 AM
tomaco1
T.mac
83 110

Registry
US to UK exchange program?

What about finding a site like the D90 Source in the Uk thats dedicated to a truck/car from the US? A little ""Quid pro Quo" (sp) If they need parts from a US dealer/junkyard/whatever we could help them, and if we need something from the UK they could help us.
I just love to Quote Hannibal Lecter!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 14th, 2009, 07:39 AM
discoinjapan
Michael Bruzga
93 D1/ 94 D90 ST/96 D1

What's the difference from ordering from a supplier over there?

Just saying

Actually it would cost more since they would have to pay VAT.
Old March 14th, 2009, 08:31 AM
tomaco1
T.mac
83 110

Registry
I'm talking about 2nd hand, little stuff, ebayuk, craigslist, junkyard. Just an idea
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 14th, 2009, 09:42 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Good idea!
Old March 14th, 2009, 09:52 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I have been able to buy trucks and parts where international bidders where blocked or the seller of a part won't ship it outside the Uk. There are a couple of guys on this board who will handle that for you as necessary- just another hurdle when dealing with some Brits.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old March 14th, 2009, 11:28 AM
Buyrovers
Chuck Leimone
1984 Land Rover 110 Soft Top

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryland 110
I have been able to buy trucks and parts where international bidders where blocked or the seller of a part won't ship it outside the Uk. There are a couple of guys on this board who will handle that for you as necessary- just another hurdle when dealing with some Brits.
x2.

C-
Old March 14th, 2009, 12:57 PM
61rover
John Crouse
'93 NAS D110 (#8) / '61 Series II

Registry
UK Parts

I've been on a UK parts binge. The exchange rate was at 1.38 this week. I remember when it was 2.4 and higher. This won't last forever.
Old March 14th, 2009, 06:38 PM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by 61rover
I've been on a UK parts binge. The exchange rate was at 1.38 this week. I remember when it was 2.4 and higher. This won't last forever.
Yeah, me too! I bought my winch bumper and swing away tire carrier as well as a number of smaller items recently because the exchange rate was so favorable.
Old March 14th, 2009, 10:27 PM
D90DRC
D Cantrell
1997 D90SW

Why is it such a problem for some of the Brits vendors to ship internationally?

I found George at Rover Down South can get you most any thing Land Rover... Id rather help out our US vendors... Besides 9 times out 10 the dam Brits wont return a call or email

Follow-up Post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 61rover
The rates are the best ive seen in many years, but the dam shipping charges kill any real value...
Old March 17th, 2009, 09:39 AM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
Sometimes. But that has not been the experience of myself and others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D90DRC
The rates are the best ive seen in many years, but the dam shipping charges kill any real value...
Old March 17th, 2009, 09:45 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Ren Chings 90 would be a good example. International bidders blocked- got that handled. Then refuses to deliver it anywhere- got that handled as well. Shipping- especially vehicles is @ an record low level right now due to the global economy. The shipping companies are more than willing to wheel and deal in order to get the little business they can as we saw Wallenius drop their quote by over a 100gbp.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Old March 17th, 2009, 10:27 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
I've always been nonplussed by UK vendors that don't return emails or phone calls. Seems if you can't drop by the shop, then they've got no use for you.

Old March 17th, 2009, 10:37 AM
landrovered
S. Smith
72 Series III 109 Diesel

If I get one response out of ten from UK vendors then I am impressed. They have the worst customer relations, it can be very frustrating.
Old March 17th, 2009, 10:48 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Tell me about it. Waiting to hear back from a seller on ebay.co.uk but have low expectations...
Old March 17th, 2009, 10:57 AM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

Quote:
I found George at Rover Down South can get you most any thing Land Rover... Id rather help out our US vendors...

Yeah, George is great, but he doesn't carry everything. If there is something I can't get from the dealer I generally call him because I'd also rather support him and Stephen than RN (plus they are usually a little cheaper), but they don't carry accessories like swing away tire carriers, winch bumpers etc.

Shipping used to be a deal breaker, but when the exchange rate dropped, US vendors didn't lower their prices to discourage importation. For example, AB still charges a bloody fortune for stainless hardware you can buy pretty inexpensively from Stig's and have shipped here.
Old March 17th, 2009, 11:19 AM
landrovered
S. Smith
72 Series III 109 Diesel

George...

Boy that is a loaded subject. I enjoy paying to be cursed at, really I do.
Old March 21st, 2009, 09:30 PM
D90DRC
D Cantrell
1997 D90SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgalpin
Tell me about it. Waiting to hear back from a seller on ebay.co.uk but have low expectations...
eBay and the UK lately most of the sellers I aks will not ship to the US... I don't know what going on with that...

Follow-up Post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by landrovered
George...

Boy that is a loaded subject. I enjoy paying to be cursed at, really I do.
Ive never had a bad experience dealing with George. But if that happened to me that would be my last dime in his wallet. I don't give second chances to rude customer service, on the other hand I don't want your money if your a rude customer.....
Old March 21st, 2009, 09:38 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
The day George stops having fun running RDS is the day he closes the place. If you're being cursed at, then you're already a customer, and for all intents and purposes a friend.

Old March 22nd, 2009, 06:34 AM
diesel_jim
Jamie Austin
1992 110 Td5 CSW & 1989 MB G-Wagen

Quote:
Why is it such a problem for some of the Brits vendors to ship internationally?
Yeah, i wonder why that is too... they're losing out on lots of trade just because they're too f-kin idle to go to the post office or sort out a courier.

Whenever i sell stuff on ebay, i don't care where it gets sent to... the buyer pays the postage anyway, and i have to take it to the post office regardless of if it's going 10 miles down the road or to Australia.

If any of you guys have hassle getting stuff sent over from here (UK) then, as i've offered before, feel free to get items sent to my home/work address and i'll forward it on to you.(although posting a whole truck might need some planning...

Quote:
I've always been nonplussed by UK vendors that don't return emails or phone calls. Seems if you can't drop by the shop, then they've got no use for you.
I get the same problem when emailing UK companies here... why bother having a snazzy website or email address if you just ignore it. people say "well, just phone"... yeah, I could do that, but I choose to email, and obviously "they" are willing to accept emails so why not answer?

Although not all vendors are like that... Devon 4x4, Ashcrofts, Gigglepin and evans(Protection & performance), to name a few, are exceptional in getting back with in-depth replies... not one liners like "ring 01234 23223244!"
Old March 22nd, 2009, 10:47 AM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

I had one person tell me the following.

Go take a piss you F%^&*

All I did was ask what the reg date was on a 110 that I was looking to buy

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat