US Seat Belt Laws - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old September 19th, 2010, 10:22 AM
Chris Vitale
Chris
'95 D90 ST 2.8L TDi #2050

US Seat Belt Laws

I am trying to uncover the requirements around seat belt regulations for driver as well as front and rear passengers, regardless of age, height and/or weight, while traveling in vehicles that date before a new law was passed.

"By 1964, more than half of U.S. states required cars to have seat belts in the front seat, but the rear seat belt was not even standard until 1968. However, the first law requiring the use of seat belts was not passed until almost 20 years later. The first seat belt law was passed in 1984 in New York state."

Site: Auto Seatbelt History | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/about_5081663_au...#ixzz0zz8dzsZj

Therefore, if I had a 1950 vehicle, can passengers, regardless of age, height and/or weight, travel all day long without a seat belt and be legal to do so? Also, what would be the last year a vehicle as well as occupants driving in the vehicle are not subject to the new regulations/

While I am fully aware of the principles surrounding this topic, I am mostly interested in the technicality of the subject.

------ Follow up post added September 19th, 2010 10:56 AM ------

Upon further research, I may have found the answer to my own question...

"Vehicles made before 1964 that were not manufactured with seat belts installed are grandfathered from the seat belt requirement."

Site: http://newyork.drivinguniversity.com...seat-belt-law/

Yet, what about pre-1964 vehicles that did come equipped with seat belts? When did land rover begin installing front and rear seat belts into their defender and series vehicles?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 20th, 2010, 12:43 AM
michael67
Michael White
110 Tdi

Chris,

If your car was not manufactured with seatbelts, your car is grandfathered. You see people drive around here in Texas in 50s era convertibles without seatbelts all the time. However, if you've retrofitted seatbelts into an older car, you may get a ticket if you're not wearing it.
Old September 20th, 2010, 03:43 AM
DMSLongLake
Dave Sherwood
1994 D90 ST

Registry
Varies by state. I also have read that there are laws proposed to requite them to be retrofitted in pre-1964 vehicles (Wisconsin...)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 21st, 2010, 07:58 AM
Chris Vitale
Chris
'95 D90 ST 2.8L TDi #2050

Thanks Michael and Dave.

I am also curious with regulations surrounding the inward facing folding seats in the cargo area. Seems that these seats mostly come with lap belts. Not sure if lap belts alone are legal and if so, at what age, weight and height grants one to legally to use the lap belt alone.

I am not paranoide about this subject, I have just never understood what the regulations are.

Thanks for your help.
Old September 21st, 2010, 08:49 AM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
I put inertia reel lap and shoulder belts in all my Series vehicles. I also put them in my Volvo 122 which was the only other vehicle I've had that didn't come wtih them. Are you saying you don't want to run seatbelts?
Old September 21st, 2010, 10:08 AM
GYM
Gary
97 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMSLongLake View Post
Varies by state. I also have read that there are laws proposed to requite them to be retrofitted in pre-1964 vehicles (Wisconsin...)
Hmm, so those pesky tiller-steered 1901 Curved Dash Oldsmobiles would finally be safe to drive.
Big Brother looking out for us.
Old September 21st, 2010, 10:51 AM
tweak
Darich Runyan
'04 Disco

As said previously, it appears to be by State. Here is a link to a nice summary for VA.

http://www.vsp.state.va.us/Safety_AntiqueVehicle.shtm

Section 46.2-1092 pertains to seat belts but makes no reference to jump seats.
Old September 21st, 2010, 02:49 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Pre 64 no belts required so who is to say if they were actually fitted or were removed? My 1959 does not have belts and appeared to not ever have them. My 51 did not have them either. My 1964 dormobile did.

I think I said this in another thread yesterday.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat