Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
yeah they already have a zf figured out with a paddle shifter no less

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 4th, 2013, 07:35 PM
navydevildoc
Neill Thornton
1984 D90 300 Tdi / 1965 Series IIA
Site Team

Registry
Well it's worth noting that the official Certificate of Conformity has not hit EPA's site yet. So until you have the "golden ticket" this is all pie in the sky.
Old April 4th, 2013, 07:39 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
"Have a little faith baby"

Dividing Creek Imports

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 4th, 2013, 07:44 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Douglas View Post
yeah they already have a zf figured out with a paddle shifter no less
Quote:
Price: 4335.00

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old April 4th, 2013, 07:50 PM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoronos View Post
Looks like Twinkam in the UK is selling ECU replacements that are supposed to vastly simplify installation of CDI (DuraTorqs included) engines into other cars.

http://www.twinkam.co.uk/shop/page/8?shop_param=
This is rather amazing. It blows me away how these companies successfully reverse-engineer and recreate something as complex as a vehicle ECU. It must be a ton of work and I wonder how they can be profitable from the effort. Even those third-party LR ECU readers/glitchers amaze me. Someone is going to town with a logic probe and essentially recreating the firmware for the original device.
Old April 4th, 2013, 07:54 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90 View Post
Yep- thats why my intention is to try the getrag.

Dividing Creek Imports

Old April 4th, 2013, 07:58 PM
navydevildoc
Neill Thornton
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
"Have a little faith baby"
Not to stir the pot but ask Aaron how much his faith is helping him right now.

A Defender retrofitted with an EPA compliant Puma is going to be someone's cash cow.
Old April 4th, 2013, 08:04 PM
ini88
Daniel Marcello
Alloy+Grit Creative Director

ebay.uk
1994 Defender 90 #916
1967 Lancia Fulvia
1974 Alfa Romeo GTV
Old April 4th, 2013, 08:29 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by navydevildoc View Post
Not to stir the pot but ask Aaron how much his faith is helping him right now.

A Defender retrofitted with an EPA compliant Puma is going to be someone's cash cow.
Come on Neil !

It's more likely that EPA's list isn't up to date was what I was implying.

I doubt Ford would have published the changes made to attain US approval, and already have these puppies in production, specs posted on their website, and taking orders for delivery this summer without approval. Which is why I made the "negative waves" inference.

From wikipedia:

3.2 Powerstroke
The 3.2 L Powerstroke is an inline five cylinder engine that will debut in the U.S. Spec. Transit for model year 2014. The engine is a modified version of the Ford Duratorq 3.2 L diesel engine that has been adapted to meet emissions in the United States. To aid in economy, emissions, and reduce NVH, it has a high pressure common rail fuel injection system and Piezo injectors that can spray up to five different injections per compression event. It has a water cooled EGR system to reduce the temperature of the exhaust gas before being recirculated through the intake. A unique feature to the emissions system is that the Diesel Oxidation Catalyst (DOC) and the Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) have been combined into one singular unit as opposed to the tradition two separate units. Exhaust treatment continues with Selective Catalytic Reduction (SCR)which is done by the injection of Diesel Exhaust Fluid in the exhaust to reduce NOx. The engine features a variable geometry turbo which allows for intake air flow tuning on the fly to increase power and fuel economy. The engine also features a variable flow oil pump to avoid wasting mechanical energy pumping excessive amounts of oil when it is not needed. It has cast aluminum, low friction pistons with oil squirters to keep them cool during heavy load conditions, a die cast aluminum cam carrier to stiffen up the valve train and reduce NVH, and to increase low end durability, the crankshaft is cast iron and the connecting rods are forged. The block itself is an extra rigid, gray cast iron with a closed deck.[8] Although official power figures for the 3.2 Powerstroke are not out yet, the Euro Duratorq 3.2 makes 200 HP and 350 ftlb of torque. It is expected that because so much of the engine has been gone through to meet U.S. emissions that the new engine will have around 250 hp and 400 ftlb of torque.

400 lbs of torque !

Dividing Creek Imports

Old April 4th, 2013, 08:37 PM
navydevildoc
Neill Thornton
Site Team

Registry
Hahaha... oh I know. Trust me with all my 300 Tdi woes a new puma sure sounds nice. It would even be CA legal.

But until I have that awesome piece of paper in my hand..... :D
Old April 4th, 2013, 08:41 PM
ipgregory
Ian Gregory
'97 D90 ST #1008

Registry
Quote:
From wikipedia:

3.2 Powerstroke
The 3.2 L Powerstroke is an inline five cylinder engine that will debut in the U.S. Spec. Transit for model year 2014. The engine is a modified version of the Ford Duratorq 3.2 L diesel engine that has been adapted to meet emissions in the United States. To aid in economy, emissions, and reduce NVH, it has a high pressure common rail fuel injection system and Piezo injectors that can spray up to five different injections per compression event. It has a water cooled EGR system to reduce the temperature of the exhaust gas before being recirculated through the intake. A unique feature to the emissions system is that the Diesel Oxidation Catalyst (DOC) and the Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) have been combined into one singular unit as opposed to the tradition two separate units. Exhaust treatment continues with Selective Catalytic Reduction (SCR)which is done by the injection of Diesel Exhaust Fluid in the exhaust to reduce NOx. The engine features a variable geometry turbo which allows for intake air flow tuning on the fly to increase power and fuel economy. The engine also features a variable flow oil pump to avoid wasting mechanical energy pumping excessive amounts of oil when it is not needed. It has cast aluminum, low friction pistons with oil squirters to keep them cool during heavy load conditions, a die cast aluminum cam carrier to stiffen up the valve train and reduce NVH, and to increase low end durability, the crankshaft is cast iron and the connecting rods are forged. The block itself is an extra rigid, gray cast iron with a closed deck.[8] Although official power figures for the 3.2 Powerstroke are not out yet, the Euro Duratorq 3.2 makes 200 HP and 350 ftlb of torque. It is expected that because so much of the engine has been gone through to meet U.S. emissions that the new engine will have around 250 hp and 400 ftlb of torque.

400 lbs of torque !
Based on that do I read it right that we wont be able to use Euro versions then? Have to get US versions due to all the changes to the US version to get US approval? We'd need US ECUs as well wouldn't we as the Euros are EOBD?

Does Ford US have a program like GM does selling drop in crate engines?

Ian
Old April 4th, 2013, 08:50 PM
navydevildoc
Neill Thornton
Site Team

Registry
Well, EU emissions are catching up to US and even California in some respects, so it's only a matter of time before they need all of this on their EU line as well.
Old April 4th, 2013, 08:50 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipgregory View Post
Based on that do I read it right that we wont be able to use Euro versions then? Have to get US versions due to all the changes to the US version to get US approval? We'd need US ECUs as well wouldn't we as the Euros are EOBD?

Does Ford US have a program like GM does selling drop in crate engines?

Ian
Ian- let em release the engine onto the market before jumping on the crate engine availability, but I like your enthusiasm. Kind of balances Neill's pessimism out.
We obvoiusly will have to see whats different. Since its common rail presumably a lot of the changes are in computer management.

Whats cool about this particular engine is that it mates up where a 2.4 was and its already being done on the other side of the pond.

Dividing Creek Imports

Old April 4th, 2013, 09:11 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
from a South African forum I follow.

apparently the 3.2 is a direct bolt in and will spin all 4 tires in 4 of 6 gears if you are into that sort of thing

http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...d.php?t=136202

Dividing Creek Imports

Old April 4th, 2013, 09:13 PM
ipgregory
Ian Gregory
'97 D90 ST #1008

Registry
Quote:
Ian- let em release the engine onto the market before jumping on the crate engine availability, but I like your enthusiasm. Kind of balances Neill's pessimism out.
We obvoiusly will have to see whats different. Since its common rail presumably a lot of the changes are in computer management.

Whats cool about this particular engine is that it mates up where a 2.4 was and its already being done on the other side of the pond.
I think its pretty damn exciting and I have a truck project that I am already 'considering' the engine options for. Pricing is going to be a consideration of course once it shakes out and we know it. But if this works out the way we hope then I hope its not likely to be much worse than where people have paid a 1st born for a 20 odd yr old asthmatic, 4 banger that can't get out of its own way most of the time.

Watching this like a hawk!!

Neill, my concern with the EOBD/OBD set up is in the test station. If you plug an EOBD ECU into a US Federal Test Computer does it know its an EOBD ECU and not a US one? Will it pass? Not sure anybody has tried this yet have they? Maybe some TD5s have tried it over here possibly?
Old April 4th, 2013, 09:18 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipgregory View Post
I think its pretty damn exciting and I have a truck project that I am already 'considering' the engine options for. Pricing is going to be a consideration of course once it shakes out and we know it. But if this works out the way we hope then I hope its not likely to be much worse than where people have paid a 1st born for a 20 odd yr old asthmatic, 4 banger that can't get out of its own way most of the time.

Watching this like a hawk!!

Neill, my concern with the EOBD/OBD set up is in the test station. If you plug an EOBD ECU into a US Federal Test Computer does it know its an EOBD ECU and not a US one? Will it pass? Not sure anybody has tried this yet have they? Maybe some TD5s have tried it over here possibly?
I don't get the concern if you are installing a US certified engine into an "exempt" truck.
Time to start looking for a lhd puma bulkhead/dash/hvac system and floors.

Dividing Creek Imports

Old April 4th, 2013, 09:31 PM
ipgregory
Ian Gregory
'97 D90 ST #1008

Registry
Quote:
I don't get the concern if you are installing a US certified engine into an "exempt" truck.
Time to start looking for a lhd puma bulkhead/dash/hvac system and floors.
Who says it has to be exempt?

This is new enough it should theoretically be able to go into pretty much any Defender/D1/DII/LR3/RRC/P38 in the US as it stands as long as you dot all the i's and cross the t's on emissions stuff and work out the wiring if it needs it (space allowing as well of course). I don't see why you need the exemption umbrella as long as its emissions legal?

Not saying its going to be easy on some of the later stuff of course but somebody will work it out no doubt.
Old April 4th, 2013, 09:31 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Exploring the interweb, there looks like two different version of the MT6 with very different gear rations. The Mustang edition with street gearing and the Land Rover/Transit edition with deeper first etc. Max torque rating for the MT6 is 383ftlbs, which the Mustang V8 exceeds slightly and the 3.2Tdi a little more.
Old April 4th, 2013, 09:41 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LAND-ROVER...#ht_4130wt_986

Dividing Creek Imports

Old April 4th, 2013, 09:55 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Quote:
What gearbox comes with that one? If the target audience for the eBay ad is puma owners why would it come with a gearbox? Is it the same?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
defender, diesel