Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old June 6th, 2015, 12:44 PM
Jonesy
Craig
87 D110 (Ruby)

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjf View Post
The point of this or any forum is to discuss the good and the bad to help others. Posting isn't going to stop people from making bad choices as businesses or customers but at least with it out there we tried to help or stop it from happening again.
You don't get my point
Advertisement

Old June 6th, 2015, 12:49 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesy View Post
You don't get my point
Then explain it better as Jeff didn't get it either.
Old June 6th, 2015, 12:52 PM
mgreenspan
Matthew Greenspan
Land Rovers

Registry
Methinks he doesn't want anybody talking about anybody poorly because it drags the entire community thru the mud? That's pretty much the ultimate blind eye if that's what he was trying to convey.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 6th, 2015, 12:53 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
Are there any notes attached to why it was pulled/moved? http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...ad.php?t=29605 -Jeff
Doesn't look deleted to me.
Old June 6th, 2015, 12:53 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post
Can't open it.
Old June 6th, 2015, 12:55 PM
javelinadave
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post
Here is what the peanut gallery sees:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	100.3 KB
ID:	122411  
Old June 6th, 2015, 01:15 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

That thread exists but I suspect it was moved to an area of the forum only used by Mods and Admins.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3990326660.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	50.8 KB
ID:	122412  

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old June 6th, 2015, 02:08 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
last entry is this .. when the thread was closed.

The horse is dead and so is this thread now.
Soapy water / KY jelly, etc. is is basically a must. Yes, good idea to remove trim panels - only takes 5 more minutes to do so.
Car Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old June 6th, 2015, 02:23 PM
Jonesy
Craig
87 D110 (Ruby)

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjf View Post
Then explain it better as Jeff didn't get it either.

Ok here goes:

I believe that a lot of folks get hurt from bad practices, there is, and should be a place to advise others of things/people/businesses to be aware of.

I also believe. And have seen, too many businesses fail for one reason or another. Without ALL the details I don't think anyone knows but the person/s involved.

We ALL suffer every time a Land Rover support business fails.

That is it. Simply put. Sorry my first one was too cryptic.
Old June 6th, 2015, 02:49 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Quote:
Ok here goes: I believe that a lot of folks get hurt from bad practices, there is, and should be a place to advise others of things/people/businesses to be aware of. I also believe. And have seen, too many businesses fail for one reason or another. Without ALL the details I don't think anyone knows but the person/s involved. We ALL suffer every time a Land Rover support business fails. That is it. Simply put. Sorry my first one was too cryptic.
I understand but I disagree on the point we all suffer every time a Land Rover support business fails. In a case like this it makes the suffering stop.
Old June 6th, 2015, 03:25 PM
Roverenvy
Michael
1994 Defender 90

Registry
I agree with Barry. As someone who just suffered through his ULC build.....had a thread like this existed before I started with ULC 3 years ago I'd of made different decisions. At the time I did my research, and made my reference calls. Heck, I even flew to Atlanta to inspect the shop and do a face to face. Turns out that wasn't enough. Live and learn, shit happens. If one person lodges a compliant on the forum, and it's contrary to the communities experiences, then people respond and weigh in. If not, it's probably par for the course. Full disclosure and transparency is the only way to go. The good business will survive. The marginal businesses will suffer. The shitty vendors will be vilified and hopefully avoided!!
Old June 6th, 2015, 03:48 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roverenvy View Post
I agree with Barry. As someone who just suffered through his ULC build.....had a thread like this existed before I started with ULC 3 years ago I'd of made different decisions. At the time I did my research, and made my reference calls. Heck, I even flew to Atlanta to inspect the shop and do a face to face. Turns out that wasn't enough. Live and learn, shit happens. If one person lodges a compliant on the forum, and it's contrary to the communities experiences, then people respond and weigh in. If not, it's probably par for the course. Full disclosure and transparency is the only way to go. The good business will survive. The marginal businesses will suffer. The shitty vendors will be vilified and hopefully avoided!!
Even 3 years ago there was quite a bit of info regarding ULC and its reputation within the Toyota community. You did your research (quite complete I might add) and made an educated decision based on what you found. 3 years ago, ULC was likely a different business than they were 6 years ago. ULC was in business for quite a long time - they had good times, bad times, more good times (which was likely when you gave them your business), but it seems they had issues scaling the business in recent years, but continued their attempts at growth but were unable to keep other portions of their business operating efficiently...and here we are today.
Old June 6th, 2015, 04:12 PM
javelinadave
-
-

When I bought my motor from ULC I told David that I would only pay with my AmEx or no deal. I wanted the purchase protection from the credit card company if the deal went south. He ultimately agreed and I did get my engine but not without issues. A later purchase was made and the supposed to be included install hardware was missing. I called and got the phone tag run around. Ultimately I was told the go to a hardware store and buy my own hardware. For $3 worth of rivets he lost me as a customer.
As a former business owner (shut down as the two wars wound down) I could see the path ULC was going down. They became US reps for a dozen different Euro/African LR product manufactures and started importing trucks/trailers. A very admirable business model that if I didn't live on the wrong coast I would go run with myself.
The problem I witnessed was that David tried to be all things ULC and was spread way to thin. His office people couldn't make decisions without consulting him first and from some of the truck rehab threads it sounds like he had trouble hiring/retaining good help. A promise is a promise and if you promise a project to be done in 6 months and it's not then the promise is broken and so is the shop. I hope he gets his shit straightened out and makes everybody whole again. If not I see a HUGE opportunity for somebody to build a business out of his path of debris and broken promises.
Old June 6th, 2015, 04:20 PM
vasily
Vasily
97 D90 SW

Registry
So I have no horse in this specific race but as a new forum member and Defender owner someone who has subpar wrenching ability, this makes me think I should just save up and get in line at ECR. Yes, it will be top dollar but at least I'd avoid this mess.
Old June 6th, 2015, 04:27 PM
Talleyrand
John
1998 Defender 110 CSW 300Tdi

Registry
Quote:
The only thing I can say is that all of this just hurts the community. All the bad business practices AND all the name calling and bitching on a public forum. All that is happening is people are getting hurt: - people loosing money and in some cases trucks - people losing businesses - the community losing support and tech know how I see it all just sliding away for the good of no one.
^^^^^ This

Also agree with Josh that ULC was in business for a while and obviously went through both good and now bad times. It is really regrettable and sad to see. I think there is a difference between this kind of situation and other guys out there just looking to screw uninformed buyers and make a fast buck. I don't like slinging mud but we all know who fits the second category. I hope ULC can sort out their clearly serious problems. Maybe they need to choose between doing rebuilds (a tough market niche) and selling parts/service. Am no expert but it seems to me that doing full on rebuilds properly takes some serious coin up front and the capacity to complete complicated work on schedule in a reasonable timeframe. I am full of admiration for the few rebuilders out there that do great work and have built a solid reputation in the community. My .02
Old June 6th, 2015, 04:40 PM
aquatiger
S
none

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talleyrand View Post
^^^^^
This
As a newbie, I couldn't disagree more with people saying that the bad information should be kept quiet. In fact, it was this thread that almost got me screwed out of $3,500:

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...ers-54964.html

A few people touting ULC as the mecca of good quality work and business dealings lead me to drop $3,500 on a Sankey trailer. Months later, and tons of phone calls later, nothing but promises "It will be here soon, got held up in customs"...

Then I come to find out that many people already knew that this place was speeding downhill without brakes. I was lucky enough get a refund from my credit card a few months ago, and the news of their bankruptcy is not surprising.

What hurts this community is the people in the know keeping important information quiet and letting the new guys get burned. It serves absolutely no purpose to hide opinions, and in this specific case anyone who questioned the business practices at ULC earlier was completely justified. Trimming the fat is a good thing for everyone.

------ Follow up post added June 6th, 2015 04:47 PM ------

Quote:

We ALL suffer every time a Land Rover support business fails.
Disagree. We are all better off when a poorly run business fails.

There are lots of really great service providers out there. And they will get a chance to fill in when the bad businesses fail, and they will grow really great businesses. ULC's business will go elsewhere, hopefully to someone really organized and deserving.
Old June 6th, 2015, 04:55 PM
LostChord
Brian
86 D110 SW

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by javelinadave View Post
If not I see a HUGE opportunity for somebody to build a business out of his path of debris and broken promises.
Exactly what I was thinking six months or so ago when Ceyon's nightmare was being heavily discussed....
Old June 6th, 2015, 04:58 PM
vasily
Vasily
97 D90 SW

Registry
Urban Land Cruisers Bankrupt - DD is a POS

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostChord View Post
Exactly what I was thinking six months or so ago when Ceyon's nightmare was being heavily discussed....

Isn't the shop in Atlanta? I'd imagine this would send more folks their way.
Old June 6th, 2015, 05:10 PM
madcowdungbeetle
Carter
1994 D90 on 37s supreme balla style

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquatiger View Post

What hurts this community is the people in the know keeping important information quiet and letting the new guys get burned. It serves absolutely no purpose to hide opinions, and in this specific case anyone who questioned the business practices at ULC earlier was completely justified. Trimming the fat is a good thing for everyone.
While I agree it would be nice, it's a double edged sword in small communities such as this. Just look at the history. Some people would say ULC is terrible don't give them your money, and then you have people who have had OK experiences come to there defense.

Then you have guys that have shops or do custom work (such as myself) who see a lot of this poor work/quality when you have someone, often a newbie, come along thinking they have a hot ride, and as soon as you get a closer look at it, you realize it's anything but, and the poor guy or gal has been steered horribly wrong by some other shop or seller and never knew. It sucks telling someone who has spent a lot of money and thinks they have a sweet ride that their truck is garbage and a ticking time bomb of mechanical and structural catastrophe.

As a vendor if you start posting up others poor quality work, then the inevitable shit storm happens all over again, only you may loose business as it appears your are badmouthing another vendor (small enthusiast community dynamics), so as a vendor you are ultimately better off keeping your mouth shut and let these things sort themselves out, as it appears to have in ULC's case. Unfortunately newbies and those not "in the know" get the raw end of the deal a lot of times. It sucks but that's the way it is.
Old June 6th, 2015, 06:29 PM
Nomar
Jeff B
RR HNTR,RR LWB Tdi

Registry
I tend to agree with javelindave.
I too, bought a motor and trans from urban.
No real issues to speak of... Been daily driving it since last summer.

I think he spread himself too thin.

I guess we'll see what ch 11 gets him...

Real Rovers have round headlights!
Rent my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
!
Just a few miles from 4x4 access!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat