UPS Blows - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old December 27th, 2013, 12:34 AM
asetliff
Adam Setliff
2A 109 Four Door 07 RRSC

Define Greed? Bitching about not getting materialistic items by Christmas? How about the thousands of guys in brown that got shipped to Dallas to work 80-90 hours a week for three weeks, worked every day but Christmas and started back today to satisfy greed.

UPS ramps up numbers every year for Christmas. They got hit when they were already running at max capacity. They hire seasonal help every year.

And yes this storm affected west coast to Arizona. When the Arizona drivers and managers got shipped to Dallas then your shit was late too.

Be happy you got to spend time with your friends and family over the holiday. I'm sure plenty of kids would have traded some shitty present to see there dad home from work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by byrnecc View Post
This whole ordeal really got under my skin. All of it resulted in UPS running a cost analysis and concluding that it'd be more profitable for them to risk missing shipments and dealing with the fallout rather than higher additional holiday staff to fulfill their shipments. Then their quote saying they won't ask their drivers to deliver on Christmas to give them a break is b/s. Its not the drivers fault and the drivers wouldn't have been put in that position had UPS just done what they do every year and get additional staff and trucks. All they really cared about was the bottom line, which is fine, but not when its at their customers' expense. All greed.

And yea USPS seems to be getting more reliable. When I order from Rovahfarm I started using USPS and I get my orders a day earlier sometimes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 27th, 2013, 12:40 AM
JoeMcD
Joe
1988 D90

Registry
I got a few packages from ups in a uhaul truck. I figured they must have rented trucks to deal with extra deliveries. I had no issues
Old December 27th, 2013, 01:30 AM
javelinadave
-
-

Adam, looks like we struck a raw nerve. Do you bleed brown?
As for the boo hoo away from home sob story there are dozens of us on the board who have missed births, deaths, first steps, first words, potty training, birthday parties, graduations, Thanksgiving, Christmas, etc while at work, deployed, etc..... Yes it sucks but it pays for all that's stuff, puts food on the table and sends kids to college. Oh, it also pays for Rovers.
UPS failed its customers. They failed their stock holders and they lost the respect of their customers.
If you do work for UPS, don't take it as a personal attack, shit happens. If you worked your first Christmas, welcome to the real word and your kids aren't ruined for life. Kids are very resilient.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 27th, 2013, 09:28 AM
asetliff
Adam Setliff
2A 109 Four Door 07 RRSC

Quote:
Originally Posted by javelinadave View Post
Adam, looks like we struck a raw nerve. Do you bleed brown?
As for the boo hoo away from home sob story there are dozens of us on the board who have missed births, deaths, first steps, first words, potty training, birthday parties, graduations, Thanksgiving, Christmas, etc while at work, deployed, etc..... Yes it sucks but it pays for all that's stuff, puts food on the table and sends kids to college. Oh, it also pays for Rovers.
UPS failed its customers. They failed their stock holders and they lost the respect of their customers.
If you do work for UPS, don't take it as a personal attack, shit happens. If you worked your first Christmas, welcome to the real word and your kids aren't ruined for life. Kids are very resilient.
No nerves struck here. No I don't work for UPS.

I'm sorry that UPS failed to deliver your materialistic items in time. Shit happens.

If your kids didn't get all their materialistic shit in time, welcome to the real world and your kids aren't ruined for life. Kids are very resilient.
Old December 27th, 2013, 09:50 AM
Nomar
Jeff B
RR HNTR,RR LWB Tdi

Registry
My wife mailed her mom a package on Friday Dec. 20.
Paid for 2 day air to Texarkana.
Nothing expensive or materialistic; just 7 lbs of stuff in a box so her mom would have something by Christmas in her nursing home.

The box sat in Roanoke VA for 3 days.
Attempted delivery was finally made on the 26th but supposedly the "office" was closed...so no delivery.
Maybe today.
It will be one week.

Real Rovers have round headlights!
Rent my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
!
Just a few miles from 4x4 access!
Old December 27th, 2013, 10:21 AM
javelinadave
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by asetliff View Post
No nerves struck here. No I don't work for UPS.

I'm sorry that UPS failed to deliver your materialistic items in time. Shit happens.

If your kids didn't get all their materialistic shit in time, welcome to the real world and your kids aren't ruined for life. Kids are very resilient.
I'm detecting lots of anger with your posts and your constant use of the word "materialistic" and the word "shit". I find your posts both inflammatory and condescending.
We were expecting consumable items to keep my daughters insulin pump operating. She is a type one diabetic and Medtronics uses UPS as their exclusive shipper. No part of her pump can be purchased at a local pharmacy, it's mail order or nothing.
Read up on type one diabetes and insulin pumps and then you can explain how materialistic she is and how risiliant she is without it. People count on UPS for on time medical supplies too, not just materialistic toys. And by the way, on March 11th, 2006 at 8:37 AM I was several thousand miles away from home when I got the call that my then 13 year old daughter almost died the night before. Her pancreas had stopped working and that she was now a diabetic. A date that I will never forget. Wanna know where I was sitting and what I ordered for breakfast that morning when my phone rang? I remember it all, it was the worst day of hers and my life.
Old December 27th, 2013, 10:25 AM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Take a read of an article in today's WSJ explaining why and how this happened.

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/...82432991595484

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old December 27th, 2013, 10:49 AM
UnfrozenCaveman
Keith Armstrong
Various

We've almost always got an extra day for Brown deliveries in Des Moines...don't ask me why, there's a good sized "hub" here.

But...we've been very pleasantly surprised this season with quick delivery by UPS / FedEx and USPS.

Who knows, maybe I was extra good this year and didn't realize it?
Old December 27th, 2013, 11:17 AM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
My complaint is not simply the late delivery, but the unwillingness of them to honour their delivery guarantees and refund the shipping charges. Everyone else was delivering on time

As to asetliff complaining about people working long hours, who really cares. That is the job they choose and they are getting paid to do it. If you are a shipping company and can't meet your delivery guarantee due to lack of staff, that is your problem.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old December 27th, 2013, 11:50 AM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

UPS is union, FedEx is not.

Dave I have two friends who are on pumps, get a back up as it saves trips to the hospital.
Old December 27th, 2013, 12:04 PM
javelinadave
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij View Post
UPS is union, FedEx is not.

Dave I have two friends who are on pumps, get a back up as it saves trips to the hospital.
I get one every summer when we travel, but that is only available for a 30 or 60 day rental period. They are $7000 each to purchase and they are only supported for 5 years so a backup isn't really an option. The issue we had was that every 3 days the site where the insulin is injected into the body has to be changed along with the resivour that holds the insulin in the pump. When you run out the pump turns into a paper weight. Because they are a prescription item you can't go out and buy any extras. We keep Lantus at home for cases like this but it all comes back to offering a service that you can't deliver. It is no different than if American Airlines sold 1000 seats on a flight that can only carry 150. It's bad business and 850 people are left pissed off and at the gate. Hope I don't sound "materialistic", I'm just trying to keep my daughter healthy and alive but that's just me.
Old December 27th, 2013, 12:19 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

I know my one friend has extra cartridges or whatever (not the whole pump). Not sure how she got them but I assume she asked nicely and the dr prescribed extra or stuck with the old one longer than she had to and created a backlog. Something to look into with weather events in addition to holiday shipping delays. I mean an ice storm can shut down everything for a week. Something to think about as a possibility.
Old April 23rd, 2014, 10:43 PM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

Not that they blow this time...but, it sure is good to come home and you have packages like this waiting!lol...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0080.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	115.0 KB
ID:	93511  
Old April 23rd, 2014, 10:45 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Larson View Post
Not that they blow this time...but, it sure is good to come home and you have packages like this waiting!lol...
Tactical underwear has arrived ?

------ Follow up post added April 23rd, 2014 10:47 PM ------

PS - if I wasn't such a cheap f*ck I'd totally get one of these:
http://hazard4.com/products/apparel/ponchovilla
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old April 23rd, 2014, 10:52 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
damn Bill- that's a thread I wouldn't have re-warmed.....

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Old April 23rd, 2014, 11:02 PM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanwind View Post
Tactical underwear has arrived ?

------ Follow up post added April 23rd, 2014 10:47 PM ------

PS - if I wasn't such a cheap f*ck I'd totally get one of these:
http://hazard4.com/products/apparel/ponchovilla
Yeah not quite...this is "other" stuff. My new tactical Kilt arrived this morning from Seattle...gotta get a post up with that! lol!! It's awesome!

------ Follow up post added April 23rd, 2014 10:03 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Douglas View Post
damn Bill- that's a thread I wouldn't have re-warmed.....

Eh...I did a search but this was the best I could do without starting anew...figured Dave could use the refresh...
Old April 23rd, 2014, 11:10 PM
roverman2010
John
1985 LR 90 200Tdi

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Larson View Post
Yeah not quite...this is "other" stuff. My new tactical Kilt arrived this morning from Seattle...gotta get a post up with that! lol!! It's awesome!

------ Follow up post added April 23rd, 2014 10:03 PM ------

Eh...I did a search but this was the best I could do without starting anew...figured Dave could use the refresh...
Did you get my box yet?

Still looking for that place where I can carry a paddle and get asked what's that.

JnK Services
FC101 GS FFR
57 LR 88" SXF 858
85 LR90
95 D1 Tdi
05 D3 HSE
97 XK8 BRG FHC For Sale
Old April 23rd, 2014, 11:10 PM
javelinadave
-
-

I shot a carbine match and some guy was wearing a tactical kilt. Nobody dare asked him if he was shooting "commando".
As for this thread, UPS has reproved themselves several times again as to not being the most punctual delivery service.
Old April 23rd, 2014, 11:14 PM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverman2010 View Post
Did you get my box yet?
I did sir, and thank you. It arrived just the other day...

------ Follow up post added April 23rd, 2014 10:17 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by javelinadave View Post
I shot a carbine match and some guy was wearing a tactical kilt. Nobody dare asked him if he was shooting "commando".
As for this thread, UPS has reproved themselves several times again as to not being the most punctual delivery service.
Yeah ya see no matter what...it's probably a good idea not to screw with anyone wearing a Kilt! lol...
Old April 24th, 2014, 02:56 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

No more UPS for me. They damaged an alternator I purchased. I submitted it for a claim and they proceeded to return it to the sender then rejected the claim.

I'm having a Zodiac aluminum floor shipped from Scotland via FedEx right now. Hopefully better luck with them. Tracking tells me it was first in Bishop, CA, next day at Stansted, UK and today at Memphis TN. Quite the route!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat