Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old January 9th, 2008, 09:14 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Unholy alliance?

Definitely a different direction for ECR, though I appreciate that its important to offer what people want to buy.

http://www.eastcoastrover.com/kahnrangeroversport.html

http://www.eastcoastrover.com/kahnrangerover.html

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 9th, 2008, 09:57 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
cant like it !
Old January 9th, 2008, 10:25 AM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
R&B will be the undoing of our society.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 9th, 2008, 10:31 AM
lynchee
Dennis Lynch
94 D90 #699

Maybe the will be on 'Pimp my Ride' on MTV
Old January 9th, 2008, 11:53 AM
oldscratchggf
nate
95 d90

those are hideous. That last pic of the RR reminds me of Scion for some reason.

sorry, Mike.
Old January 9th, 2008, 12:36 PM
Treuwer
Trae Reuwer
94 D90

I don't understand, it's not April 1st yet...
Old January 9th, 2008, 12:43 PM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
Just Defenders, nothing else.
D-90 Source Vendor

Too many customers complaining that we don't do anything for their newer stuff. You gotta roll with the changes and offer things to all customers and follow the market. Its a test to gauge the interest as that UK company approached us to do their US vehicles.

We have no plans to stop or slow down Defender work.

This is a business, if I only did what I personally wanted then it would be just a hobby.

I didn't expect it would go over well with the Defender faithful.

I did show those images to a lot of people before I posted them, and in most cases women loved them, so it might be a way for folks to make the women happy then they can have a RR Sport and their Defender too. I personally like women in Defenders, but that is hard to pull off sometimes.

I do not check PMs. Call or email if you need something.

ECR is not a parts source. We are not in the mail order business.
Old January 9th, 2008, 12:47 PM
Ragland
Robert Ragland
1994 Defender 90

Well...that's just...not me. But its not my operation, so I won't say too much.

Perhaps the new shop will clear through the backlog allowing for such new work. Why not Classic RR or Disco I refabs, though. I guess this is more simple, straighforward install with a predictable element on the work.
Old January 9th, 2008, 12:56 PM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
D-90 Source Vendor

Try to look at it in a positive way...
If we sell a bunch of RR Sport body kits then maybe we make enough money to keep expanding the Defender shop with new equipment, new products and such making the Defenders better and better.

Ford, and soon Tata, have been dropping production of 100s of parts we need to keep these NAS Defenders going and we are having to have more and more stuff made instead of bought. Something has to pay for all those development costs and I rather have it be Range Rover Sports than have to resort to just giving up on parts I feel we need.

Old January 9th, 2008, 01:01 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Frankly, as long as its a quality product, there's nothing to be ashamed of. Not my taste for sure, but also not my budget. A lot of people that buy a 100k car want to spend a lot more money to make it even more costly and personalized. Fortunately, these are a lot more euro than hip-hop. This sort of excess has been popular in European tuner houses alot longer than huge wheels have been the rage in LA.

Frankly, all I care about is more frequent updates to the site Mike!

Old January 9th, 2008, 01:10 PM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
D-90 Source Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC
Fortunately, these are a lot more euro than hip-hop.
That is the only reason we even agreed to flirt with this company. It has a little style and although it is bling it didn't make me puke when I first saw the stuff like most body kits do.
Its not my bag either baby, but if it is still a Land Rover and ends up making some money then I'll gladly apply the money whore brand to myself.

We got the same sort of reaction when the Disco 1s started showing up on the ECR site. The Series guys got all bent out of shape, "Thats not a real Rover!"

Old January 9th, 2008, 01:12 PM
Ragland
Robert Ragland
1994 Defender 90

The way LR is heading, Mike, you probably do need to offer products like this. I wonder about companies like Rovers North and AB will fare in ten years or so. Once all but a handful of enthusiasts are still driving their Discos and early RRs, the market for DIY LR parts and mods will shrink. The LR3 is just not the upgrade truck a Discovery could be from a parts perspective.

Worse, the whole vehicle for years and years notion is out the window now. I'd be afraid to own a new LR past the warranty. Lease 'em and forget 'em. Nobody will be calling up ECR in ten years enquiring about LR2 refab work. The badge is really the only thing in common now.
Old January 9th, 2008, 01:19 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECR
Its not my bag either baby, but if it is still a Land Rover and ends up making some money then I'll gladly apply the money whore brand to myself.
I imagine it will be pretty good money! A lot less labor intensive than disassembling a D90. Looks like you just bolt on someone elses custom parts.

Old January 9th, 2008, 01:26 PM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
D-90 Source Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragland
The way LR is heading, Mike, you probably do need to offer products like this. I wonder about companies like Rovers North and AB will fare in ten years or so. Once all but a handful of enthusiasts are still driving their Discos and early RRs, the market for DIY LR parts and mods will shrink. The LR3 is just not the upgrade truck a Discovery could be from a parts perspective.

Worse, the whole vehicle for years and years notion is out the window now. I'd be afraid to own a new LR past the warranty. Lease 'em and forget 'em. Nobody will be calling up ECR in ten years enquiring about LR2 refab work. The badge is really the only thing in common now.

I completely agree. I wish it were different.

Old January 9th, 2008, 01:26 PM
Dredd
Harlan Boone

Business = follow the money.

Best of luck ECR, thanks for everything you've done and continue to do for the D90 market.
HB
Old January 9th, 2008, 02:21 PM
DJ Menasco
DJ Menasco
#500/500

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECR
I personally like women in Defenders, but that is hard to pull off sometimes.

A woman in a Defender is a rare event, but definitely tres chic.

Personally I'm ambivalent. The aesthetics are somewhat appealing - I like the color scheme of the upholstery - but I don't like the stripe running down the hood. The stripe smacks of the Dodge lineup, which includes that awful Neon.

Overall I doubt it'll be an indelible stain on the marquee as many will likely show interest. It's nice to see ECR branching out. Perhaps it will bring more into the Defender fold and engender the “higher-ups” to reconsider bringing the Defender back; perhaps being the key word.
Old January 9th, 2008, 04:13 PM
pendy
jim pendleton
89'd90

Do those customers pay better? And not beg you to ship items when you give them away? I'm sure your 401K likes the idea. Good luck with it-I'm sure it will pan out well.

JP

Advice is only as good as the person applying it--
Don't make me give you bad advice!

Lemons or lemonaide, whatever your taste provides.
Old January 9th, 2008, 04:26 PM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
D-90 Source Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by pendy
I'm sure your 401K likes the idea.
JP
401K ???

Old January 9th, 2008, 04:29 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECR
Try to look at it in a positive way...
If we sell a bunch of RR Sport body kits then maybe we make enough money to keep expanding the Defender shop with new equipment, new products and such making the Defenders better and better.

Ford, and soon Tata, have been dropping production of 100s of parts we need to keep these NAS Defenders going and we are having to have more and more stuff made instead of bought. Something has to pay for all those development costs and I rather have it be Range Rover Sports than have to resort to just giving up on parts I feel we need.
OOOOOOH alright :~ Then again, you could make alot of cash by opening up your treasure chest of parts and selling those online!
Old January 9th, 2008, 09:46 PM
Monkeyboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECR
401K ???
He doesn't know what that means either

Geez, you guys are either going to convince me to (a) buy another one just to have around for parts, or (b) try to pry my wife out of ours to sell it before it becomes un-maintainable ... I did just see a white ST '97 for sale locally ... hmmmm

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat