Unhealthy obsession with eastcoast rover site - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old December 13th, 2007, 10:14 AM
Tawayama
Michael Slade
No Land Rovers

Mike -

Do your thing, take your time. It'll be worth it, and they can wait.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 13th, 2007, 11:24 AM
Ragland
Robert Ragland
1994 Defender 90

Mike,

While you made the effort to move, did you ever think of picking a locale more convenient for your customers (who lives year round in Maine)? No more than a days drive anywhere east of the Rockies. How about around the gulf coast, splitting the difference between the large Texas and east coast markets? Heated seats for those brisk June mornings would become a distant memory.

Maybe a satellite operation? Somebody up there must be sick of the cold. Truth be told, between Houston and Maine, you could really clean it up.
Old December 13th, 2007, 11:51 AM
pcscharfe
pcdefender
D90/NAS 110

Thumbs up 3 Things

Mike,

Thanks for taking the time to humor our need for more and more ECR. Some day we'll all be able to bring our D90s in for the royal treament, until then--a lot of respect and lusting on this forum...

1.) Larger Pictures = the ability to see the details up close really makes a difference. As Ryan suggested, the way that Expedition Exchange has their photos set up is great--just click to see a much larger image.

2.) Search Feature = I cant tell you how many times I've revisted the projects pages trying to find the one with the "on-board air setup" or the "heated seat upgrade".... I would love a search feature.

3.) Products = Sliders, skids, brake lines, exhaust.... When the truck needs an upgrade and ECR is 3000 miles away, it would be great to know your products are still available.

*Maybe Chris can setup an "ECR Products" section on the forum that contains individual threads on each of the products you offer. The first post on each thread is your caveat emptor about the product, what's included and what's not when placing an order through ECR. The remaining entries would be D-90 Source users' experiences, install pics, tips, trouble shooting, praise, etc..... Just direct your mail order customers to the appropriate thread. Just a thought...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 13th, 2007, 12:04 PM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
Just Defenders, nothing else.
D-90 Source Vendor

Never thought of moving for many reasons. The first being selfish... I love Maine, can ski/board, have my boat in the summer, no crime, my kid grows up safe and sound on my farm, near his grandparents etc. etc. Before ECR, I lived all over the world, and Maine ranks high for me. It isn't for everyone and for those from Maine that is one of the things that makes it a great place to live.
The second being the staff. I started ECR, but the reason we are who we are is the people that work with me. These aren't just run of the mill mechanics, you can't find guys like this on every corner and like me, none of them want to move either.
We can't start a second version because then I would really be stretched too thin. I don't want to be flying around checking in to see is operation #2 is up to snuff. It would never work. Operation #2 would likely drag down the reputation of #1. It isn't worth it when all you have do is make one call and a transport truck arrives at your door and collects your truck and then delivers it back to your door when we are done. It doesn't matter where we are.
We get Defenders from the west coast all the time and all over the east coast too.

It sounds like a sales pitch, but its true... I never wanted to run the biggest Rover shop (but that happened anyway)... just the best (or the best I could do is a better way to put it) and the crew I have is the reason I have what I have. They can't be as easily duplicated as people think.

I agree, we need to work on the mail order side of things and we will now that we have the space.

Getting too big too fast is a death nail in this industry. Look at those guys that made the Eleanor Mustangs down in TX... Unique Performance. They went into it big time, and have just filed. They are broke... they had the backing of Foose and Shelby too, how they messed that up I'll never know.

The reason ECR works is a total fluke. The right place at the right time, the right guys... I don't know, but I'm not going to mess with it too much.

I do not check PMs. Call or email if you need something.

ECR is not a parts source. We are not in the mail order business.
Old December 13th, 2007, 12:33 PM
Ragland
Robert Ragland
1994 Defender 90

Mike, I was joking. Obviously, Maine is home. Guess I should not feel too bad, RDS is just an hour away.
Old December 13th, 2007, 01:55 PM
94Rover
KCB
NONE

I just want ECR to one day start restoring RR Classics again. My 94 needs a British Racing Green repainting and sorting of small mechanical issues. Ah to dream and see it on the update page. Fantasy.
Old December 13th, 2007, 04:22 PM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
D-90 Source Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94Rover
I just want ECR to one day start restoring RR Classics again. My 94 needs a British Racing Green repainting and sorting of small mechanical issues. Ah to dream and see it on the update page. Fantasy.
Sadly I do not see RR Classics in our future.
With as many people that are about to legally import rusty and nasty 1983-1984 110s and such I think we will be busier than ever with Defender repairs, LHD conversions, re-powers, etc.

I finally got A-Z parts done and filed!!! I have a serious headache...

Old December 13th, 2007, 04:25 PM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

Hey Mike. Feel free to send me any parts you need an installation manual for. I'll gladly install them on my truck and write a manual for you!

JK. I mean I certainly would but, I know you aren't in business to give away parts! haha
Old December 13th, 2007, 04:42 PM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
D-90 Source Vendor

Ya never know... it may come to that.

Still more stuff to put away...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04107.JPG
Views:	128
Size:	141.9 KB
ID:	11370   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04105.JPG
Views:	148
Size:	147.5 KB
ID:	11371  

Old December 13th, 2007, 04:53 PM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

Look at all those nice new parts!
Old December 13th, 2007, 05:47 PM
defender1844
Amit Likhyani
95 D90 Soft Top Estoril Blue 6.2 LS

Mike,

I would love to see information on your aluminum hard top. I am not far away from trashing my fiberglass hard top and sending you my '97 D90 soft top for that upgrade. But some detailed pics would get me through the interim time.

It would also be cool if you would ship your 4.6 pursuit motors. I have a Land Rover mechanic who will do the install at my garage.

The LED lamps look really cool. I am just waiting for my stock ones to break. I'll be sending in my odometer and ordering kick panels soon. I can deal with your terms on mail order parts.

Amit
Old December 14th, 2007, 01:36 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
V8engines.com is also a source for built rover motors. RPI has a good reputation to my knowledge.

Having installed a few ECR parts, I can't imagine how install manuals would help, since everything has pretty much been simplicty itself, but I guess some folks want detailed notes. I mean, regular fuel and brake lines dont come with instructions, why would stainless ones? And if you can't figure out wiring, you probably shouldnt be hacking into your tail lights anyway.

That being said, Mike, if you want help with install notes or that sort of thing, let me know, I'd be more than happy to assist.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old December 14th, 2007, 07:54 AM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
D-90 Source Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC
Having installed a few ECR parts, I can't imagine how install manuals would help, since everything has pretty much been simplicty itself, but I guess some folks want detailed notes.
Oh the stories I could tell... you would not believe how "stupified" some customers want this stuff, right down to each nut and washer and a list of tools needed. They want IKEA style instructions on mechanical parts. One main reason I head away from mail order is that you sell one part that you maybe make 15 dollars on, and then you have to hand hold that customer for days and numerous phone calls.

On another note...
After putting away our lettered inventory over the last few days I see that we have far too many RR Classic parts. We will be selling off all these items for what we paid for them, so if you have a Classic check the ECR site in a few weeks. All parts are new Genuine, nothing used, sorry.

Old December 14th, 2007, 09:54 AM
Nomar
Jeff B
RR HNTR,RR LWB Tdi

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECR
over the last few days I see that we have far too many RR Classic parts. We will be selling off all these items for what we paid for them, so if you have a Classic check the ECR site in a few weeks. All parts are new Genuine, nothing used, sorry.
I'll keep that in mind!
Old December 14th, 2007, 10:21 AM
tkavan01
Trevor K
94 d90 #1304

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECR
Oh the stories I could tell... you would not believe how "stupified" some customers want this stuff, right down to each nut and washer and a list of tools needed. They want IKEA style instructions on mechanical parts. One main reason I head away from mail order is that you sell one part that you maybe make 15 dollars on, and then you have to hand hold that customer for days and numerous phone calls.

On another note...
After putting away our lettered inventory over the last few days I see that we have far too many RR Classic parts. We will be selling off all these items for what we paid for them, so if you have a Classic check the ECR site in a few weeks. All parts are new Genuine, nothing used, sorry.
oh dear god ikea instructions, please no...
Old December 14th, 2007, 10:41 AM
themaxx
Ade
94 ST

Registry
Mike, you should tell everyone that the instructions only come in Japanese.

If you have a couple ECUs for a LWB laying around, please let me know.

Thanks
PS...instructions with it would be nice.
Old December 14th, 2007, 11:38 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Problem solved
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ikea ECR.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	46.7 KB
ID:	11377  

Old December 14th, 2007, 11:43 AM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
D-90 Source Vendor

Not THAT is funny!!!!!!!!!!!

I think soda just came out of my nose.

Old December 14th, 2007, 02:21 PM
tkavan01
Trevor K
94 d90 #1304

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC
Problem solved
that picture brought images to mind of that british guy in a corset with his wang stuck up the rrc's tailpipe....
Old December 14th, 2007, 02:47 PM
oldscratchggf
nate
95 d90

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkavan01
that picture brought images to mind of that british guy in a corset with his wang stuck up the rrc's tailpipe....
why you gotta go there?

as for mail order- refer people here to figure out installation initially. then surely detailed answers will become quite rapidly available, if they aren't already on here. This site has held my hand through many little projects.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat