Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Closed Thread

Old February 10th, 2012, 05:21 PM
Roverhound
Walter Dent
2000 D2

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanwind View Post
I'm not seeing the connection between threatening someone's family and people bitching about vendor products, classified listings, or other members trucks.
The alleged threatening. Just because Andy said it, doesn't make it true. I've seen Dan make fun of lots of people but I have never seen him actively threaten someone.
Now if you are Canadian or one of those pussies who voted for Obama...

But I digress, Andy, how's the truck search going?
Advertisement

Old February 10th, 2012, 05:28 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roverhound View Post
The alleged threatening. Just because Andy said it, doesn't make it true. I've seen Dan make fun of lots of people but I have never seen him actively threaten someone.
Now if you are Canadian or one of those pussies who voted for Obama...

Well, Andy's text was a quote. And I know first-hand those were the exact words used. Make of it what you will, but that doesn't make it alleged.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old February 10th, 2012, 06:01 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Yeah, there were screenshots of the "alleged" post from the other forum re-posted up here in the "moderators?" thread that were taken down after the post itself was taken down from the other forum. Gustavo may still have the screenshot, but I don't think it needs perpetuating.
Advertisement

Old February 10th, 2012, 06:26 PM
cellulararrest
Chris Snyder
1994 D90 #614 | '07 L322 SC

Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post
Yeah, there were screenshots of the "alleged" post from the other forum re-posted up here in the "moderators?" thread that were taken down after the post itself was taken down from the other forum. Gustavo may still have the screenshot, but I don't think it needs perpetuating.
I can make your post say whatever I want and take a screenshot. A screenshot means nothing.

edit: added alleged screenshot
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	josh_shot.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	81.1 KB
ID:	47348  
Old February 10th, 2012, 06:52 PM
Andy R
Andy R
Site Team

Quote:
As I posted in my original announcement:
Quote:
I do plan to buy a Defender but I am not exactly sure when. With a 2 year old, 3 month old, drama happening on at least one forum daily it's hard to find time for a resto project right now. I might actually look for a newer Defender down here in Brazil but the exchange rate sucks so that's not an option in the immediate future. Hanging around here will help me get educated so when the time is right I should be able to make a smart decision.
I have been reading threads and admiring some of the amazing projects people have worked on. Snell's YouTube video of that time lapse build makes me jealous. I wish I had the time for a project right now but unfortunately I don't. It's amazing how much work having 2 kids two years old and under is. I suspect I won't be able to get a Defender for a couple years but when I do get in the market I will be well educated thanks to this place.

Feel free to call me a liar and question my ethics without knowing me. I am fine with that because I truly know what my plans and can't wait to own a beautiful Defender. I think it's great that I can own websites on topics I enjoy and make a few bucks along the way.

I also understand that some people are skeptical and feel "sold out" when a change of ownership happens. After seeing what some of the big forum companies do to the sites they acquire, I would be skeptical too. I am damn proud of the way we manage forum communities and feel that we do a better job then almost anyone out there. Our team here is comprised of some outstanding guys who I am honored to be associated with. I have nothing but faith that we will handle issues in a fair and reasonable manner.
Old February 10th, 2012, 08:05 PM
Rugbier
Gustavo
110 Tdi - 110 N/A - D3 HSE - RRS SC

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisvonc View Post
If it bothers you that much Gus, while I would hate to see you go, you are welcome not to come to the site anymore to get away from these heinous wrong doings. Although I might add, my policy of deleting posts that I or the moderators felt were tanking a Classified listing, has been in place long before you ever came here and were occasionally enforced since you have been here. Why now is this such a sore point with you after 5 years?
\

Chris,

Doesn't bother me, I just hate hypocrisy, lies, bullshit and small penis people with the thought they are a stud, so I call that out when applicable.. Are you saying I should leave or surrender values ( that you use to display I might add ) ?

I am shocked that that offer came out of you, but I am not a quitter.... and at the risk of sounding like Dan, either people will have to ignore my ON SPOT remarks , or let a Super Heroe delete my account

Or

Do what I do best in my life...play the most desirable game in our Land of Capitalism and offer Andy to walk away for a profit. ( assuming the full transfer has taken place and all due diligence settled )

Andy...?
Old February 10th, 2012, 08:43 PM
GaryBaxter
Gary Baxter
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugbier
\
Do what I do best in my life...play the most desirable game in our Land of Capitalism and offer Andy to walk away for a profit. ( assuming the full transfer has taken place and all due diligence settled )

Andy...?
Now that's putting your money where your mouth is. I've totally enjoyed this forum under Chris's supervision and don't begrudge him for selling to Andy. Andy seems like a nice guy looking to make a profit but I'd be willing to invest in a consortium of owner/members to keep the ads away. Anybody passionate enough to lead such an effort?
Old February 10th, 2012, 08:50 PM
JFD
Julien Dalbin
05 Tdi 90

Dam you guys ! what about the Un-Ban Dan shirt ?
Old February 10th, 2012, 08:51 PM
Andy R
Andy R
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugbier View Post

Andy...?
Thanks but no thanks... As Chris mentioned in his announcement, I had been interested in this community for 6 years when he finally came around to selling. If my only motive was profit, then this place would already be covered in ads. Like it or not, I am here for the long haul...
Old February 10th, 2012, 08:53 PM
Andy R
Andy R
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryBaxter View Post
... to keep the ads away.
I already posted that all members who were registered before the change of ownership announcement was made will be grandfathered and will be able to keep their experience at this site ad free. The only people who will have to see ads are new members and guests.
Old February 10th, 2012, 09:00 PM
Roverhound
Walter Dent
2000 D2

Andy, what other forums do you own?
Sorry, I still don't buy in to your interest in Defender or anything Land Rover. That's fine, you bought this and other sites to make money. That's great. But please don't insult the members of this forum by pretending to be an enthusiast.
Old February 10th, 2012, 09:01 PM
GaryBaxter
Gary Baxter
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy R
I already posted that all members who were registered before the change of ownership announcement was made will be grandfathered and will be able to keep their experience at this site ad free. The only people who will have to see ads are new members and guests.
Yes, I remember that but believe the introduction of ads will eventually lead to a diminished experience for all of us. It's your site and your decision but I did want to express a willingness to lay out some cash to keep that from happening. Since you're committed to the site, welcome to the community.
Old February 10th, 2012, 09:02 PM
NomaD110
Christian
1993 Defender 110

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris snell View Post
Don't fall down the slippery slope to ExPo suckdom.
I think ExPo is a great site. It's my homepage actually.
Old February 10th, 2012, 09:07 PM
Andy R
Andy R
Site Team

Quote:
Andy, what other forums do you own?
I got into forums by starting one on Airstream Trailers (link) when I was restoring an old 1961 Airstream I bought to make a mobile office (wifi was readily available then). I am not pretending to be an enthusiast. My family has owned Defender and Discovery IIs and I look forward to having my own one day. If you don't believe me, fine.

Quote:
Since you're committed to the site, welcome to the community.
Thanks for the welcome.

We have been down in Brazil for the past couple months and heading back to the States next week (gotta pack). So if you don't see many responses from me it's because I am busy, not because I don't love your abuse.
Old February 10th, 2012, 09:38 PM
Rugbier
Gustavo
110 Tdi - 110 N/A - D3 HSE - RRS SC

Registry
Quote:
Now that's putting your money where your mouth is. I've totally enjoyed this forum under Chris's supervision and don't begrudge him for selling to Andy. Andy seems like a nice guy looking to make a profit but I'd be willing to invest in a consortium of owner/members to keep the ads away. Anybody passionate enough to lead such an effort?
I thought my post was clear of my intention to lead the effort, and as I have spent most of my life managing TICS, REITs and the likes, it will be my pleasure if to make it " Consortium "

------ Follow up post added February 10th, 2012 09:45 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy R View Post
Thanks but no thanks... As Chris mentioned in his announcement, I had been interested in this community for 6 years when he finally came around to selling. If my only motive was profit, then this place would already be covered in ads. Like it or not, I am here for the long haul...

Andy,

Once a WISE MAN Told me ( that wise man it is a friend as well ) and I quote :

" IF YOU ARE GETTING SOMETHING FOR FREE, YOU ARE NOT THE CUSTOMER, YOU ARE INDEED THE PRODUCT BEING SOLD "

And, I like you, I am a businessman that offers an easy out, with some coins in the pocket ( actually your own words " NOTHING WRONG WITH MAKING A BUCK " that is an offer that happens once; often in my career I was not such a nice guy, always smoked my cigarettes waiting for the kill that allowed me to buy a decayed item for a lot less that was once worth.

But then again, I think they teach that on B-101
Old February 10th, 2012, 10:03 PM
SMac
Sam
NAS 97 D90 SW

Hostile takeover looming...
Old February 10th, 2012, 10:49 PM
roverguy
Robert
1995 RRC

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisvonc View Post
I know... How dare I NOT run MY web site I've provide for over 11 years free of charge the way THEY want me too.
While I am thankful, I do feel that this website would be nothing without us and our posts. We are the website, and without us, the website wouldn't have nearly as much info or worth.
2000 DII (SOLD)
Old February 10th, 2012, 11:47 PM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

I have a feeling that Andy will hit Gus up in a year or so when Andy discovers how small and cheapfucked the Defender community actually is. When that happens, Gus, you know you can always host it on my servers.
Old February 11th, 2012, 05:57 AM
Andy R
Andy R
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugbier View Post
I thought my post was clear of my intention to lead the effort, and as I have spent most of my life managing TICS, REITs and the likes, it will be my pleasure if to make it " Consortium "

------ Follow up post added February 10th, 2012 09:45 PM ------

Andy,

Once a WISE MAN Told me ( that wise man it is a friend as well ) and I quote :

" IF YOU ARE GETTING SOMETHING FOR FREE, YOU ARE NOT THE CUSTOMER, YOU ARE INDEED THE PRODUCT BEING SOLD "

And, I like you, I am a businessman that offers an easy out, with some coins in the pocket ( actually your own words " NOTHING WRONG WITH MAKING A BUCK " that is an offer that happens once; often in my career I was not such a nice guy, always smoked my cigarettes waiting for the kill that allowed me to buy a decayed item for a lot less that was once worth.

But then again, I think they teach that on B-101
So now I understand your motive. Bully the new guy, threaten to burn the place down to destroy value and see if he will sell. As I already mentioned in this discussion the decisions we make will be made with the best interest of the members-at-large in mind. Alluding to sitting back and waiting "for the kill" so the value will decay tells me your intent is self motivated. You are basically saying if you can't buy this place you will ruin it, not very cool to the thousand of other contributors who have helped build this community. Based on my experience so far, and with all due respect, I don't think the right way forward would be to sell the site to you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by roverguy View Post
While I am thankful, I do feel that this website would be nothing without us and our posts. We are the website, and without us, the website wouldn't have nearly as much info or worth.
I agree 100%. The members are what make online forum communities so special. That's why I wont sell out to sponsors and why I won't sell the community for a quick profit to someone who is threatening to damage the place if I don't.

The last few days we had around 380 members swing by yet only a dozen or so even post in these drama threads. Essentially the majority of the members come for technical discussions about their trucks and could careless about how the community is managed because they are respectful to each other and rarely break any of the rules.
Old February 11th, 2012, 06:41 AM
disco dog
Tracy Dwyer
2002 D110 TD5

WOW! Look at all the shit that came from "BAN DAN" !! He's still the culprit and banned too! Dan smile yourself to sleep tonight. I like cool tee shirts as much as anyone, but I think now a bandana should be this sites new logo. (insert picture I wish I had here)

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat