Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Closed Thread

Old February 10th, 2012, 02:53 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

One suggestion that is currently being considered is the ability to have the person starting a for sale thread choose to lock a thread or not. If they want comments they can keep it unlocked if they don't they can choose to lock it. Fair and reasonable for everyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij
I plan on pointing out all the flaws in any paying sponsored vendors' products repeatedly.

Is that permitted?

Old February 10th, 2012, 03:06 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Yes, what I am hoping to avoid is having britpart or bearmach junk as a sponsor and then when I say things like, that part is crap, buy genuine (in the general discussion or chit chat) those threads get deleted.

Or say, Safari Gard never ships stuff you pay for or RoversNorth stole badger's soft top design and made an inferior copy or .... etc.
Old February 10th, 2012, 03:09 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij View Post
Yes, what I am hoping to avoid is having britpart or bearmach junk as a sponsor and then when I say things like, that part is crap, buy genuine (in the general discussion or chit chat) those threads get deleted.
Why do you think that would happen?

The site rules are the same as they have always been and nobody has done anything other than to enforce those rules.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 10th, 2012, 03:12 PM
evilfij
evilfij

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90 View Post
Why do you think that would happen?

The site rules are the same as they have always been and nobody has done anything other than to enforce those rules.
It is what happens on other boards with paying sponsors.

You have a sponsor paying $100s of dollars (or more) a month and sees negative posts about their stuff. They call the admin and say delete that shit or I stop paying.

Guess what happens?
Old February 10th, 2012, 03:15 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:

You have a sponsor paying $100s of dollars (or more) a month and sees negative posts about their stuff. They call the admin and say delete that shit or I stop paying.

Guess what happens?
They stop paying.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old February 10th, 2012, 03:37 PM
evilfij
evilfij

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanwind View Post
They stop paying.
Not in my experience, but YMMV.
Old February 10th, 2012, 03:45 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
I just don't think we should convict folks of a crime they have not yet committed. If it does happen, then hey - we can all play judge, jury, and executioner. And I'll be the first person to find something else to do with my time. Until then, I'm willing to give the moderators/owners a chance to do the right thing....which they have done so far in my opinion.

And after all, they also doubled my/our PM storage . Gets my vote.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

Old February 10th, 2012, 03:45 PM
popeohana
Jeremy
94 Arles ST

Registry
Quote:
On some other (non-rover related) forums I am a member of, I have experienced very heavy-handed mods in favor of advertisers that evilfij is referring to. On one board, mentions of advertiser's competitors are edited out of posts. I really hope D-90 does not go down that road.
Old February 10th, 2012, 03:50 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Sorry? Has there been a change in sponsors or how they pay into this site from when Chris owned it?
Old February 10th, 2012, 03:54 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
These posts would be way more useful over in the original thread Andy R created regarding changes and questions that may or may not come to this site.
Old February 10th, 2012, 03:54 PM
evilfij
evilfij

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90 View Post
Sorry? Has there been a change in sponsors or how they pay into this site from when Chris owned it?
A change was announced or at least a contemplated change was announced.

Anyway, better to get views out before a change as to what we would not like to see than try to complain/change/jump ship later.
Old February 10th, 2012, 03:56 PM
Andy R
Andy R
Site Team

Quote:

Or say, Safari Gard never ships stuff you pay for or RoversNorth stole badger's soft top design and made an inferior copy or .... etc.
As long as you are stating facts, it's not an issue. If claims are made which are not factual the vendor can claim that defamatory comments have damaged their business and if a court decides in their favor we will comply with any orders to remove information.

We will always take into consideration our members needs over any paying vendor. Vendors will be paying for advertising, not special treatment. That being said, one form of advertising is the ability to post deals, specials, etc inside a sponsor/vendors forum. Since those are advertising threads, they will have the same rules as the classifieds section.

Thanks for the feedback on some of those vendors. I have a lot to learn about the various people who provide products in this niche and will make every effort to try and work with quality vendors.
Old February 10th, 2012, 04:21 PM
Rugbier
Gustavo
110 Tdi - 110 N/A - D3 HSE - RRS SC

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanwind View Post
I just don't think we should convict folks of a crime they have not yet committed. If it does happen, then hey - we can all play judge, jury, and executioner. And I'll be the first person to find something else to do with my time. Until then, I'm willing to give the moderators/owners a chance to do the right thing....which they have done so far in my opinion.

And after all, they also doubled my/our PM storage . Gets my vote.

Jason,

You might want to reconsider the statement...

One od the mods, deleted post, the Owners endorsed the move, that does not seem right in my book.

And I am certain, the newly acquired powers will indeed turn them onto Disco Mike any time.

It appears we are going the route of ExPo, pad in the back to attrocities on modifications or complimenting a POS sale, otherwise you are a Thread Terrorist
Old February 10th, 2012, 04:26 PM
evilfij
evilfij

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy R View Post
As long as you are stating facts, it's not an issue. If claims are made which are not factual the vendor can claim that defamatory comments have damaged their business and if a court decides in their favor we will comply with any orders to remove information.

We will always take into consideration our members needs over any paying vendor. Vendors will be paying for advertising, not special treatment. That being said, one form of advertising is the ability to post deals, specials, etc inside a sponsor/vendors forum. Since those are advertising threads, they will have the same rules as the classifieds section.

Thanks for the feedback on some of those vendors. I have a lot to learn about the various people who provide products in this niche and will make every effort to try and work with quality vendors.
Ok, you can ask the people who have been around, I am by no means a trouble maker, I just want to do what I can to keep this place great.

And as long as the standard for removing criticisms is a court order, I can live with that.
Old February 10th, 2012, 04:37 PM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy R View Post
We will always take into consideration our members needs over any paying vendor. Vendors will be paying for advertising, not special treatment.

Riiiiiight. You are either a fool or a liar. Your primary goal in buying D90 Source, I assume, was to turn a profit. Seeing as you don't own a Defender, I don't believe that you're simply altruistic and only want to help the community. You're here to make a buck...and that's fine. This is the free market and you can run this site how you wish. You have the benefit of over a decade's worth of knowledge stored in these databases and it will always be worth something, even if everyone leaves.

It's obvious to many of us who have been here a while at things are changing. It starts with banning Dan, then it will be person who calls a vendor's product a piece of shit in the General forum, and next thing you know, you're banning members for calling another member's truck a hack job.
Old February 10th, 2012, 04:50 PM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris snell View Post
Allow the board to self-moderate. This is the way D90 Source has been historically and in my opinion, it should remain so.
Good words Chris but the members are the ones that have always had the control of that self-moderating direction and its the members that influence the direction of things like that. Sadly, over the past 2 years, members apparently have forgotten how to self-regulate and use the ignore button when something irritates them and found its better to complain to let someone else handle it which turns into the problem of the moderators.

So unless people get their acts together and start learning how not to be offended by any little thing someone says and to start using the Ignore button if there is someone they dont want to see posting all the time, and not find it easier to just expect the site team to do it for them, then no, it wont ever be like it used to be until the members start acting like they used to and handle it.

Hopefully that made sense

Please email one of the current MODs if you need assistance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lriwater: As you know, most wives don't like Series trucks due to the ride and lack of creature comforts. Girlfriends seem to like those, but some sort of magic happens during the wedding ceremony.
[/size]
Old February 10th, 2012, 04:56 PM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugbier View Post
Jason,

You might want to reconsider the statement...

One od the mods, deleted post, the Owners endorsed the move, that does not seem right in my book.

And I am certain, the newly acquired powers will indeed turn them onto Disco Mike any time.

It appears we are going the route of ExPo, pad in the back to attrocities on modifications or complimenting a POS sale, otherwise you are a Thread Terrorist
If it bothers you that much Gus, while I would hate to see you go, you are welcome not to come to the site anymore to get away from these heinous wrong doings. Although I might add, my policy of deleting posts that I or the moderators felt were tanking a Classified listing, has been in place long before you ever came here and were occasionally enforced since you have been here. Why now is this such a sore point with you after 5 years?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lriwater: As you know, most wives don't like Series trucks due to the ride and lack of creature comforts. Girlfriends seem to like those, but some sort of magic happens during the wedding ceremony.
[/size]
Old February 10th, 2012, 04:57 PM
DMSLongLake
Dave Sherwood
1994 D90 ST

Registry
I am fascinated by the need of people to place constraints on services they get free of charge.

Current Rovers:
1994 D-90 ST #734
2006 LR3
2016 RRS

Past Rovers:
1997 Disco I
1988 Range Rover 40th Anniversary
1999 Disco II
1995 D-90 ST #2731
1997 Range Rover 4.6 HSE Vitesse
2003 Range Rover HSE
2008 RRS
2013 RRS
Old February 10th, 2012, 05:03 PM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMSLongLake View Post
I am fascinated by the need of people to place constraints on services they get free of charge.
I know... How dare I NOT run MY web site I've provide for over 11 years free of charge the way THEY want me too.

Quote:
[/size]
Old February 10th, 2012, 05:04 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris snell View Post
Riiiiiight. You are either a fool or a liar. Your primary goal in buying D90 Source, I assume, was to turn a profit. Seeing as you don't own a Defender, I don't believe that you're simply altruistic and only want to help the community. You're here to make a buck...and that's fine. This is the free market and you can run this site how you wish. You have the benefit of over a decade's worth of knowledge stored in these databases and it will always be worth something, even if everyone leaves.

It's obvious to many of us who have been here a while at things are changing. It starts with banning Dan, then it will be person who calls a vendor's product a piece of shit in the General forum, and next thing you know, you're banning members for calling another member's truck a hack job.
I'm not seeing the connection between threatening someone's family and people bitching about vendor products, classified listings, or other members trucks.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

Closed Thread

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat