Closed Thread

Old February 9th, 2012, 02:16 PM
DMSLongLake
Dave Sherwood
1994 D90 ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyRover View Post
I say un-ban as well, he's actually a good guy.
Really?

So he just plays an asshat on the internet?

Hard to believe...

That said...I don't care if he is banned or not...he has been on my ignore list for a year...

Current Rovers:
1994 D-90 ST #734
2006 LR3
2016 RRS

Past Rovers:
1997 Disco I
1988 Range Rover 40th Anniversary
1999 Disco II
1995 D-90 ST #2731
1997 Range Rover 4.6 HSE Vitesse
2003 Range Rover HSE
2008 RRS
2013 RRS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 9th, 2012, 02:42 PM
grnrvrs
Paul

Because his argumentative shenanigans overshadowed his relevant contributions (IMO), I say good riddance.
Old February 9th, 2012, 05:44 PM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
\
But let's be honest, there's a wide gulf between the ruthless deletion of any text which is slightly offensive and what goes on here. I think Dan and Departing90 were the only non spam accounts banned here in the years I've been moderating. There is little or no post deletion, and basically no editing.
It's a slippery slope, Jim. It's best to let the permanence of this site do the moderating. In other words, "D90 Source doesn't forget". Act like an asshole here and your name and reputation will forever be associated with your words, all Google-searchable. Allow the board to self-moderate. This is the way D90 Source has been historically and in my opinion, it should remain so.

This trend towards heavy-handed moderation is a disappointing development for the post-CvC D90 Source. I consider Chris a friend and I'm really glad that he was able to finally get some cash out of this site. That said, I'm really bummed that it's turning out the way it did. Now that D90 Source is being managed as a business, it's inevitable that ExPo-style moderation will become the norm, in order to please sponsors. We all know that the monetization of the tiny Defender community is a shaky business proposition and the new owners are going to have to work hard to make this thing break even. Mark my words, this will happen: someone is going to talk shit about a sponsor's product and that person is going to get banned and their post will be edited. This has happened time and time again in the for-profit LR forums.

Please don't let D90 Source go this way, guys. It was a mistake to ban a longtime member who has contributed much here. Don't fall down the slippery slope to ExPo suckdom.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 9th, 2012, 06:02 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

I for one vow to never buy anything from any paying vendor on D-90.com
Old February 9th, 2012, 06:31 PM
pendy
jim pendleton
89'd90

What kind of Shenanigans did he partake in here after he was banned?

Seems like he was testing the waters on getting banned towards the end of his days here. He was more outrageous then usual. I think he was testing the limits and had a hidden agenda. Trying to test some new internet regulations or some such.

But I am curious what he did behind the scenes after the hard core for sale post to ostracize himself from the moderators and staff here.

Advice is only as good as the person applying it--
Don't make me give you bad advice!

Lemons or lemonaide, whatever your taste provides.
Old February 9th, 2012, 07:40 PM
JFD
Julien Dalbin
05 Tdi 90

I have the "Ban Dan" shirt.

Let's print the Un-Ban Dan shirt, I'll take the first one ...
Old February 9th, 2012, 07:56 PM
ArmyRover
Bill Ski
83 110 "Frankenstein"

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMSLongLake View Post
Really?

So he just plays an asshat on the internet?

Hard to believe...

That said...I don't care if he is banned or not...he has been on my ignore list for a year...

Yeah really, one example is he sent Care packages of Rover magazines etc to my Soldiers and I when we were deployed.

Goose, everyone hates me anyways since I'm a Mod on LRO. I'm afraid I am a victim of douche by association on that one. Of course I only delete spam for the most part. It's rare I do any real moderation. To be honest unless there are threats of bodily harm I really don't care what is said.

Unknown Author

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
716-898-8153
Old February 9th, 2012, 08:32 PM
nikojo
John
D90 SW -- 2.8PS

Un-Ban.

It's simple, we are not all mindless drones.......and the ones that are, are beyond help.

If a poster has a point to be made, it's either a good point or not. They will likely be challenged and either they will defend their position or not. LET PEOPLE DECIDE FOR THEMSELVES. If they are asshats they will marginalize themselves.

I never understood why we need "protection". Short of dragging in children and families or getting otherwise personal, EVERYTHING else should be fair game. That includes "crapping" on my for sale posts if he calls me out or on vendors too.

Otherwise what's the point ?!?!?!

I want a fair and free exchange of ideas not some sanitized version.

Un-ban.
Old February 9th, 2012, 08:58 PM
Grover
Mike
Birmabright Bread Box/Swagger Wagon

Registry
Question

What did this guy do p!ss people off? Just curious...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old February 9th, 2012, 09:54 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikojo View Post
Short of dragging in children and families or getting otherwise personal, EVERYTHING else should be fair game.
The first half of this statement has more truth than you know.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old February 9th, 2012, 09:59 PM
Nomar
Jeff B
RR HNTR,RR LWB Tdi

Registry
I say Un-Ban Dan.

You know what they say, keep your friends close...and your enemies closer.
Old February 9th, 2012, 11:13 PM
SMac
Sam
NAS 97 D90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyRover View Post
Yeah really, one example is he sent Care packages of Rover magazines etc to my Soldiers and I when we were deployed.

Goose, everyone hates me anyways since I'm a Mod on LRO. I'm afraid I am a victim of douche by association on that one. Of course I only delete spam for the most part. It's rare I do any real moderation. To be honest unless there are threats of bodily harm I really don't care what is said.
I wholeheartedly agree with self correction, but a person is either a douche all the time or not at all. Just cause you may support some cause that benefits or interests you doesn't make you less douche-ie to everyone else out there that you piss on daily. General soapbox statement as I've no bone to pick here.
Old February 10th, 2012, 05:52 AM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
Worst thread ever
Old February 10th, 2012, 07:55 AM
disco dog
Tracy Dwyer
2002 D110 TD5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rover4x4 View Post
Worst thread ever
Old February 10th, 2012, 08:58 AM
Roverhound
Walter Dent
2000 D2

No, I think the worst thread ever is the one where the new owners introduce themselves, then swear that they always had an interest in Land Rovers even going so far as to say they are looking to buy one and people believed them.
Old February 10th, 2012, 09:46 AM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roverhound View Post
No, I think the worst thread ever is the one where the new owners introduce themselves, then swear that they always had an interest in Land Rovers even going so far as to say they are looking to buy one and people believed them.
Old February 10th, 2012, 11:48 AM
pendy
jim pendleton
89'd90

Wow

It is like a family reunion here. Airing out all the grievances.

What about my part of the inheritance? I deserve more !!!!!!!!!

Nobody get their fur up, just stirring the pot here.

Advice is only as good as the person applying it--
Don't make me give you bad advice!

Lemons or lemonaide, whatever your taste provides.
Old February 10th, 2012, 01:44 PM
enjoi1968
Blake Pendleton
98 D1

damnit, I missed all the shennigans. Now I'm going to have to do a bunch of searching to entertain myself?

lame.
Old February 10th, 2012, 01:48 PM
Andy R
Andy R
Site Team

Dan pushed the limits to see where the team would draw the line, unfortunately he pushed too far. The ban was just a temp ban until he decided to threaten a team members wife and daughter "See, now that you banned me, you started it. It will never end. Not with you. Not with your wife. Not with your daughter. Haven't you learned.." He then proceeded to post all kinds of shit on other websites including photos of this team member's teenage daughter. Unfortunately he burned the bridges on his way out...

Please keep in mind the same team is managing the site that has been in place for years. We recently expanded the team so we could get more input/opinions on how to deal with these tough, and thankfully rare, issues. Chris clearly stated his vision for the site when he created the Community Rules including the following:
  • Please be respectful to other users and avoid personal attacks. Respect constructive input or opinions of other forum members just as you would like yours to be.
  • Debates, cross discussions, and disagreements are bound to happen. Please try to remain calm should you find yourself in a heated thread.
  • Trolling, flaming, and attacks on other Members or Vendors, will not be tolerated.
  • Please do not hi-jack other members Technical or Classified threads.
IMO, it's about basic respect for other people. I know it's fun (and common) for a group of people who know each other well to talk shit, that's fine. When someone continues to push things too far, that's when they become much more disruptive than welcome.

Most of us, while we welcome perspectives on all sides of any issue, would not invite a frequently and apparently intentionally disruptive or rude person to a gathering of friends at our homes, nor to any other gathering of friends that they are hosting.
Old February 10th, 2012, 02:38 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

I plan on pointing out all the flaws in any paying sponsored vendors' products repeatedly.

Is that permitted?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat