UK Vehicle Crime Conference and JLR - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old September 4th, 2015, 09:22 AM
down_shift
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3

Registry
Interesting post this morning re: keyless thefts of new LRs and the ever constant Defender thefts in the UK. It mentions Defenders are stolen to be stripped of parts to feed the demand here stateside. Let's do our part not to feed this into fraudulent system.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-836948737.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	336.7 KB
ID:	128762   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2258704917.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	354.7 KB
ID:	128763  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 4th, 2015, 09:41 AM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
JLR blames OBD, what a joke.

I'd take JLR seriously if they knew what they were talking about. The comment about the Defender is interesting.
Old September 4th, 2015, 09:44 AM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
Thanks for sharing.

ISIL and al qaeda can go F*ck themselves...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 4th, 2015, 09:58 AM
down_shift
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3

Registry
Just a question and not directed to anyone.
When "new take off" complete Defender bodies or wings, doors, cabs, tubs, seats, interiors, etc. arrive stateside and sold here on the forums, what measures are taken to assure these parts are not stolen? I am not talking about the clearly used ROW and NAS parts or the NTO parts from the contractor in Alabama (?) who are converting and armoring new Defenders.
Old September 4th, 2015, 10:12 AM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

The demand for Defender parts is not a US problem, its a worldwide problem due in part to the lack of meaningful redesign of the Defender since 1983 (or if you prefer the Series II).

US Defender demand is tiny in comparison to ROW, and JLR's blame the US stance merely backs the mistaken and misguided corporate stance as evidenced by their support for the erroneous seizure of vehicles by Homeland Security.

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old September 4th, 2015, 10:52 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
As someone who has handled large shipments of used parts to the US I can assure you it would be quite difficult to import stolen parts to the US via conventional, ie- cost effective, methods. This was the subject of many uninformed accusations/ comments from some members here in the "Homeland Security took my defender this morning thread".

1) If you put land rover parts in a container, US Customs/Operation Atlantic is going to have a look.
2)If you don't have commercial receipts for every single parcel in your container an investigation is undertaken. If your paper work isn't airtight and provenance not clear, you loose your freight.

Some members of this forum often find it appropriate to comment on the imported used body component prices being asked by some of the vendors on this site. The only point of reference they seemingly have is ebay UK. Costs can easily triple upon arrival before customs lets you have your freight, and there is no guarantee the items have not been damaged/destroyed by customs or the exam warehouse employee's.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old September 4th, 2015, 12:51 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by down_shift View Post
Just a question and not directed to anyone. When "new take off" complete Defender bodies or wings, doors, cabs, tubs, seats, interiors, etc. arrive stateside and sold here on the forums, what measures are taken to assure these parts are not stolen? I am not talking about the clearly used ROW and NAS parts or the NTO parts from the contractor in Alabama (?) who are converting and armoring new Defenders.
In the 'old' days the vin swapped puma trucks ... Who was asking about provenance of the 'donor' vehicle. Given the profit margins slapping a VIN number on a stolen truck and exporting it for a massive profit seams a pretty lucrative scheme.

I suspect many people chose to ignore this probability and justified the cost as a craftsman created rebuild rather than the more likely criminal with a grinder and vin stamp punches.
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old September 4th, 2015, 01:43 PM
Rugbier
Gustavo
110 Tdi - 110 N/A - D3 HSE - RRS SC

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by down_shift View Post
Interesting post this morning re: keyless thefts of new LRs and the ever constant Defender thefts in the UK. It mentions Defenders are stolen to be stripped of parts to feed the demand here stateside. Let's do our part not to feed this into fraudulent system.
What a crock of doodoo

Newer land rovers with security systems will require a new computer to be started if stolen

So either you have a new Land Rover and steal a new Land Rover to use your computer or you are a moron

As for parts, wiping the re-key will not stop the breakage business as they probably never use the computer

------ Follow up post added September 4th, 2015 01:50 PM ------

X 1,000,000

I remember when you imported my perfectly legal 110 , ( 4-5 yrs ago ) the authorities at the port in the UK acid washed the frame to verify it was 100% on the up n up as the dealer I bought it from in the UK was under investigation for alleged stolen parts, they looked at everything before the truck was allowed to be loaded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Douglas View Post
As someone who has handled large shipments of used parts to the US I can assure you it would be quite difficult to import stolen parts to the US via conventional, ie- cost effective, methods. This was the subject of many uninformed accusations/ comments from some members here in the "Homeland Security took my defender this morning thread". 1) If you put land rover parts in a container, US Customs/Operation Atlantic is going to have a look. 2)If you don't have commercial receipts for every single parcel in your container an investigation is undertaken. If your paper work isn't airtight and provenance not clear, you loose your freight. Some members of this forum often find it appropriate to comment on the imported used body component prices being asked by some of the vendors on this site. The only point of reference they seemingly have is ebay UK. Costs can easily triple upon arrival before customs lets you have your freight, and there is no guarantee the items have not been damaged/destroyed by customs or the exam warehouse employee's.
Old September 5th, 2015, 07:37 AM
Willh
Will Hedrick
Use to own NAS #96, #1778, & #1008

Registry
Even now the U.S. Customs inspection protocol has shifted. For instance, one cannot ship a new take-off bulkhead now unless it still has the original vehicle's VIN tag still attached to the brake booster. This was not the case two months ago.

Hmm, I wonder what happened two months ago to prompt this change in U.S. Customs policy.........

Please feel free to visit my website at:

Quote:
Willh is the F'n man! Defender of the Defenders! - Overlander
Old September 6th, 2015, 12:42 AM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

It sickens me to see the ineptitude of the people in charge of enforcement....

What year did they stop mounting the vin on the brake booster?

What other bs do we need to be aware of now?
Old September 6th, 2015, 07:13 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
...sounds like JLR hasnt got a clue.

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...len-64723.html

-Jeff
Its perfect ... they get to make one for everyone stolen and not recovered!
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old September 6th, 2015, 07:59 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

New v NTO v Used

Interesting discussion.

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat