Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old March 2nd, 2005, 04:37 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
Cool uhhh I hate to ask but...

WHat tire pressure are you folks running? I have the stocker size and was wanting to maximize longivity and get the best gas milage, I am not worried about comfort its a D-90. O yeah I searched and can remember some discussion about this topic but yeah. thanks folks.
Advertisement

Old March 2nd, 2005, 05:34 PM
jimmy salmon
jimmy salmon
94 D90 AA Yellow

i run with 28psi all round no matter what size tire
Old March 2nd, 2005, 05:59 PM
WhiteD90
Johnathan Tisdale
93 110, 90 RockRR buggy

I run with 6psi but that probably won't meet any of your criteria...little squishy in the turns.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 2nd, 2005, 06:16 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

I put more air in them when they get down to about 10, then I stop filling them someplace in the 25 to 30 psi range depending on how much of a rush I am in. But thats S not stock, and Jon's and Jimmy's ain't stock none either so you can't go by them. Fill them until they look good or until they pop, then drop the pressure a little, but for trail use, deflate until they fall off the rim, then inflate them a little.

If that doesn't make sense, then just pretend I said 28-32 psi is what the book says.
Old March 2nd, 2005, 06:45 PM
paulb
Paul / Boultbee
1994 D-90, Green #1576

OK, isn't the correct tire pressure written on the tire wall?
Wait wait wait, I have BF Goodriches 265 17R and I just looked at them.
It states never exceed 40psi but also states max load at cold to be 65 psi.

So which is it? Now I am confused for my road travel
Old March 2nd, 2005, 07:07 PM
Doug
Doug Walker
TVR5L-powered NAS D-110

40psi front and 44 rear on the highway. 20 front 23rear off road. 15 all around sand.

DW
Old March 2nd, 2005, 08:11 PM
flippedrover
Tyler
'94 D-90

I run stock size at 30psi all round
and you're the only bait in town.
You got fins to the left, fins to the right,
and you're the only girl in town.

Jimmy Buffett

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old March 2nd, 2005, 08:26 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
cool. 30-35 is what I used to run in the old tires. they had 47k miles on them and still had a safe amount of tread... I think i will stick with those numbers, just thought i would inquire
Old March 2nd, 2005, 10:30 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteD90
I run with 6psi but that probably won't meet any of your criteria...little squishy in the turns.
classic

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old March 3rd, 2005, 01:16 AM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

I came out of a "full service" gas station and noticed that my ride was a bit bumpy. I checked the tires and they were about 70 psi. Were they serious? Hell if I know. I run a bit more in back than front, usually about 30-35 rear, 28-32 front. True of all my rovers.
Old March 3rd, 2005, 11:57 AM
mrmuddy
John Cranfield
1989 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulb
OK, isn't the correct tire pressure written on the tire wall?

So which is it? Now I am confused for my road travel

No No No, the pressure on the side wall is the max safe pressure for the TIRE. Not for the vehicle.
With a lightly loaded vehicle the max pressure will result in a very small contact patch to the detrement of handling.
To determine your ideal pressure draw a wide chalk line across the tread and drive a few feet, adjust the pressure until the chalk rubs off evenly across the entire tire. This will likely be in the 28-30 Psi range.

John
Old March 3rd, 2005, 10:02 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

okay, now this is WAY too much. Fill up the tire, drive.

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old March 4th, 2005, 07:31 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
No no, the chalk method is insufficient. You must accurately calculate the precise area of the contact patch on all four tires, establish a coefficient based on your driving style and road surface conditions in your area, and perform complex multivariate anaylysis.

Speaking of analysis, if anal refers to your ass, and lysis is latin for "destroy" (as in electrolysis etc) is "analysis" when you destroy something with your ass?
Old March 4th, 2005, 04:42 PM
TwisteD90
Yousef Hamzeh
06 RR SC, 06 LR3, 94 D90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davis
I came out of a "full service" gas station and noticed that my ride was a bit bumpy. I checked the tires and they were about 70 psi. Were they serious? Hell if I know. I run a bit more in back than front, usually about 30-35 rear, 28-32 front. True of all my rovers.
Here comes another stupid question. Why would you run more air the back? My understanding is you've got more weight up front due to the engine thus more air upfront. I know in my Disco I ran 46psi in the rear and 30 in the front b/c I used to tow my D90 every where other wise I ran the same pressure front to back.

Follow-up Post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteD90
Speaking of 6 psi, how is your krawlers doing at that pressure? I used to run my MTR's at 6 also and they sucked, I found out they behave and grip much better at 10 psi. The reason I'm asking is I'm getting BL Krawlers soon along with new wheels so I'm trying to decide if I want a new double side beadlocks or I shouldn't waste my money and get regular wheels.
Old March 4th, 2005, 04:46 PM
Doug
Doug Walker
TVR5L-powered NAS D-110

Handling. I'm real finicky about how my truck handles on road, and I adjust tire pressure to get good tracking and response. I find higher rear pressure helps quite a bit. I've even been known to adjust by as little as a pound or two to see if handling improves. 40/46 seems to be about best for my 110 with 255/85/16 BFG MTs.

Doesn't the manual say more pressure in the rear? Remember, the rear axle is positioned closer to the weight center of the car, so the rear tires support more weight, including fuel tank which hangs beyond the axle!

Doug W.
Old March 4th, 2005, 05:07 PM
WhiteD90
Johnathan Tisdale
93 110, 90 RockRR buggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwisteD90
Here comes another stupid question. Why would you run more air the back? My understanding is you've got more weight up front due to the engine thus more air upfront. I know in my Disco I ran 46psi in the rear and 30 in the front b/c I used to tow my D90 every where other wise I ran the same pressure front to back.

Follow-up Post:

Speaking of 6 psi, how is your krawlers doing at that pressure? I used to run my MTR's at 6 also and they sucked, I found out they behave and grip much better at 10 psi. The reason I'm asking is I'm getting BL Krawlers soon along with new wheels so I'm trying to decide if I want a new double side beadlocks or I shouldn't waste my money and get regular wheels.
I had to run my mtrs at 10 also to keep them on the wheels since I didn't have beadlocks. The krawlers perform unbelievably well at 5-6psi...ask the guys who saw them last week in NM. To take true advantage of that tire you need to run them on beadlocks at low low pressures. I don't think you will need double beadlocks unless you are going to the 39 krawler which I have heard has had inner bead rolling issues.

Tis
Old March 4th, 2005, 05:27 PM
Doug
Doug Walker
TVR5L-powered NAS D-110

Check this out -- innerliner 'beadlocks':

http://www.eco4wd.com/products/hardw...unproducts.htm

Doug W.
Old March 4th, 2005, 07:54 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwisteD90
Ahhh,

So thats why you were so pissy about the BL earlier. I see. Tiz's truck was amazing, for the 3.5 minutes I actually saw it. If you trailer everywhere, why not just get the RL?

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old March 5th, 2005, 10:27 AM
mrmuddy
John Cranfield
1989 90

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC
No no, the chalk method is insufficient. You must accurately calculate the precise area of the contact patch on all four tires, establish a coefficient based on your driving style and road surface conditions in your area, and perform complex multivariate anaylysis.

Speaking of analysis, if anal refers to your ass, and lysis is latin for "destroy" (as in electrolysis etc) is "analysis" when you destroy something with your ass?

You are of course quite correct and for this purpose I installed a glass covered service pit in the driveway so that I can accurately measure the contact patch of each tire. There are hose connections for each wheel within the service pit so that adjustments can be made to exactly match all tires regardless of actual pressure. This allows compensation to be made for individual construction differences of the tires.
My next project is to develop an accurate and reliable meter to gauge the precise level of BS in posts to forums

Jophn
Old March 5th, 2005, 02:48 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat