Trying to decide which rig to buy - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old July 11th, 2014, 02:01 PM

1980 Series III 109 Diesel

Trying to decide which rig to buy

Hi all. I have wanted a Landy since college and we won't discuss how many years that's good. I'm looking at two different 110 two door rigs. My questions are is a left-hand drive worth considerably more in the states then right-hand drive? One is in really good shape really good hardtop but I don't particularly want hardtop. Is there a market to sell 110 hardtop for a two door and the rear door? Any opinions are appreciated. I'd like to make a Decision pretty quickly. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 11th, 2014, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbie View Post
Hi all. I have wanted a Landy since college and we won't discuss how many years that's good. I'm looking at two different 110 two door rigs. My questions are is a left-hand drive worth considerably more in the states then right-hand drive? One is in really good shape really good hardtop but I don't particularly want hardtop. Is there a market to sell 110 hardtop for a two door and the rear door? Any opinions are appreciated. I'd like to make a Decision pretty quickly. Thanks
Ok, voice recognition on my phone bites. Or maybe it's just my Southern accent. I'm trying to decide between three rigs really. An ex-mod RHD 110, a LHD Tithonus 110, or a 110 with a hardtop that is pristine. The first 110 is good shape but not particularly pretty but cheap compared to the other 2. If I got the hardtop I'd get rid of the top and go with the soft top that comes with. How much could I potentially sell the top for? I love the roll cage in the Tithonus.

I put a lot of love in my CJ7 and lost my rear when I had to sell it. So tell me - what's my best option? I'd like to get something before my husband spends all of my money on his boat!
Old July 11th, 2014, 08:53 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quick answer is 5-7k. The heater, dash and steering bits to convert a truck are expensive, $4k plus. The labor to do the job is 22-30 hours depending on the trucks condition, ie easily another 2-2.7k.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 11th, 2014, 08:57 PM

Thanks for the reply. Thing is I wouldn't want to convert the RHD to LHD. I'm just concerned about resale value in the future if I got in a money pinch. I think it would be cool to drive a RHD here.
Old July 11th, 2014, 09:08 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by newbie View Post
Thanks for the reply. Thing is I wouldn't want to convert the RHD to LHD. I'm just concerned about resale value in the future if I got in a money pinch. I think it would be cool to drive a RHD here.
I've logged about 100k on the wrong side of the truck and sometimes amaze forum members here when I jump out of a rhd truck and switch to left and then back with alacrity. Driving is a non issue but I sometimes get pissed with myself when I approach the wrong door because something else is on my mind...sucks getting old

Dividing Creek Imports

Old July 11th, 2014, 09:12 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Douglas View Post
I've logged about 100k on the wrong side of the truck and sometimes amaze forum members here when I jump out of a rhd truck and switch to left and then back with alacrity. Driving is a non issue but I sometimes get pissed with myself when I approach the wrong door because something else is on my mind...sucks getting old
But the real question is - do you always put the key on the correct side of the steering column? Or, probably more accurately, do you put the key on the wrong side of the steering column when hopping into a "regular" car?
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old July 11th, 2014, 09:25 PM

My current car just has that annoying push button start....comfy ride until all the electronics give me fits.
Old July 11th, 2014, 09:28 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanwind View Post
But the real question is - do you always put the key on the correct side of the steering column? Or, probably more accurately, do you put the key on the wrong side of the steering column when hopping into a "regular" car?
Lav I don't take the keys out of anything here. Hello-gods country....

Dividing Creek Imports

Old July 11th, 2014, 09:34 PM
Capt Milks
Mike
Defender V-8, Defender 2.25

From what I have seen a LHD will bring more than a RHD. A 4 door wagon will bring more than a 2 door. Hardtops are bringing more than soft tops currently.
Old July 11th, 2014, 09:38 PM

Thanks for the replies. The reason I want a 2 door is that I want to be able to take the top off. I'm a Florida native and we have a thing for convertibles. I'd store the top and rear door if I had a good place for them. My dobies use my old Acme hardtop from my CJ as a mini dog house.
Old July 11th, 2014, 09:56 PM
LuisC
Luis Constantin
98 Disvovery 1 LE

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Douglas View Post
It's funny, the things that take getting use to. It's been a long time since I drove from the wrong side. It makes for a great first date also. She thinks you're going to open the door for her on the right side and you're like, "are you driving or am I?"
The one thing I can never get use to in a RHD is the windscreen wipers going the wrong way. Everything else seems to be natural.
Old July 11th, 2014, 10:13 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuisC View Post
It's funny, the things that take getting use to. It's been a long time since I drove from the wrong side. It makes for a great first date also. She thinks you're going to open the door for her on the right side and you're like, "are you driving or am I?"
The one thing I can never get use to in a RHD is the windscreen wipers going the wrong way. Everything else seems to be natural.
That may be one of the funniest things I've read in a while.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old July 11th, 2014, 10:18 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Uncle Doug: even after living here for nearly 30 years when I'm stressed out have gone to the RH side of my car...

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat