Truck Build Up/diesel swap - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old August 2nd, 2006, 11:21 PM
WestTexasDefender
Sam Allen
'97 LE #234

Truck Build Up/diesel swap

I'm about to send my truck down to Rover Accessories(they've just moved to Austin) to have them redo the interior and do some custom work on the outside. I'm usually a diy kind of person but I haven't had nearly the amount of time my 90 needs and I want it ready by November in time for hunting season and at this rate that may be next November. I'm wondering what you guys think I should do to it. My ideas for the interior are a custom dash, new seats or recover the seats, electric windows and maybe some more storage. For the outside I'm thinking of a tire carrier that would hold jerry cans and make a bracket of some type to where fishing rods would slide into. Another thought I've had and I might end up doing this on my own is making a blind that collapses on the roof rack with two pedestal seats on top. As for offroad work I'm putting lockers, heavy-duty driveline components and lift with bigger tires. I don't want anything huge because I want it to still be a comfortable daily driver. And maybe a diesel conversion and what I'm wondering is should I put this off till next year or do it now because it would be more beneficial for other parts like reworking the gearing and driveline parts.

What diesel would all of you recommend, I know a lot of you have the TDI and some with the International, my family has a heavy duty truck shop that specializes in Cummins and I could probably, depending on the engine, get it at cost and have them do the install, which would make it a whole lot cheaper, so that could be a whole other project.

Let me know what your ideas are and what you think of mine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 5th, 2006, 01:18 AM
WestTexasDefender
Sam Allen
'97 LE #234

come on somebody has got to have some ideas or suggestions on what i should do
Old August 5th, 2006, 01:36 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
I dunno man - its hard to say because I think most people's mods here are born of some sort of necessity (except fot those of us who are guilty of gratuitous modification - whicf of course is _not_ me ).

All your ideas sound great, but I'm not sure that the lack of any of them are show-stoppers for hunting. I dont know enough about your needs to provide any sort of intelligent reply to you - I'd just be flapping my gums about what I did.

With respect to what diesel you should get, well, I think one that bolts in from the factory (300tdi) or close (2.8 TGV) is best since anything else would be a complete custom job. A complete custom job sounds like a maintenence hassle to me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 5th, 2006, 08:20 AM
Gkase
George Kase
1983 110 200Tdi CSW LHD

I agree with Jim...it's hard to say about the interior and exterior/driveline modswhich usually come out of personal preference and utility. The blind on top sounds interesting for hunters...as to the diesel, I just did a conversion and now that all is said and done the 300Tdi is a bolt in with existing tranny and xfr box, the two areas which offered some degree of difficulty were figuring out the wiring loom (simple now that it is done but baffling beforehand) and welding in new engine mounts (again, simple once you've understood the relatively easy setup procedure)...Rovers Down South sells new 300Tdi engines and kits...the diesel heads on the list here were, as always, a huge help so it is a doable thing. Good luck and let us know what you end up choosing.
Old August 5th, 2006, 02:09 PM
WestTexasDefender
Sam Allen
'97 LE #234

Ok that's basically want I wanted to know because I've heard rumors that the 300 TDI is not all it's cracked up to be but since so many people have them I just wanted to check before I did anything. And I plan on getting most of the stuff I can from RDS because the stuff I've ordered so far has turned out to be good and he's real helpful. It's not like I'm gonna send my truck out and get it just completely custom it's just the interior right now is real raggeed out for the PO. And as long as it's there I might get a few things done. And the blind is kind of an idea I've had because the 90 is so tall and would just be awesome to be able to drive to a spot you normally couldn't get to and hunt out of a defender and will probably just end up doing that myself.

I guess the real big questions I have is if I get him to rework the gearing what ratios should I do. And whatever gearing and driveline mods I do for my engine now would that be suitable for a 300 TDI or the 2.8 like Jim said.

I was planning on doing this stuff this year and then the project next year would be a diesel but this may give me an excuse to do it now.

Thanks
Old August 5th, 2006, 02:47 PM
Gkase
George Kase
1983 110 200Tdi CSW LHD

Some of the other guys might better respond on off road gearing...I use my D90 to haul stuff and to get through the snow when I have to and street and highway driving...very little off road...so I left the gearing all stock as it came with my V8...works great...I see you have a 97, does that mean it has an Auto transmission? if so, don't know anything about whether that would bolt up easily to a diesel or not.
Old August 5th, 2006, 02:55 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Several people have mated the 2.8 to the autobox and found it very suitable. There might have been some re-valving work in the tranny - I dont recall. I have no love for automatic trannies so its the last thing I would ever do unless my left leg fell off.
Old August 5th, 2006, 05:01 PM
WestTexasDefender
Sam Allen
'97 LE #234

That is a good point I didn't really think of the auto and manual. I would prefer sticking with an auto because when I go hunt it's about a 5 hour drive out there and when I'm hunting I have to go real slow to scan the brush and stop quick which is sort of hard to to with a stick, at least it is with my willys.

As far as performance and gas mileage is the tdi better that the 2.8?
Old August 5th, 2006, 05:55 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
2.8 is certainly better than the 300 by all accounts (and stats). I've heard lower mileage reported, though the diesels are seemingly quite sensitive to driving style. Personally, next time I do a truck I want to get a 300tdi with the variable turbo kit from allisport, so I can dial in performance when I need it and have normal 300tdi economy most of the time.
Old August 6th, 2006, 12:33 AM
Roverowner
Brian Love
95/Disco

My $0.02 -

I have the 2.8 in my truck and I couldn't be happier. It hooked up well to my Auto Tranny (regeared the xfer 4:1 for the tires).

no matter what you do, it will be your truck and your story....have fun.

Some people are like Slinkies ...
Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when
you push them down a flight of stairs.

1995 Discovery
Old August 6th, 2006, 10:39 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestTexasDefender
Ok that's basically want I wanted to know because I've heard rumors that the 300 TDI is not all it's cracked up to be but since so many people have them I just wanted to check before I did anything. And I plan on getting most of the stuff I can from RDS because the stuff I've ordered so far has turned out to be good and he's real helpful. It's not like I'm gonna send my truck out and get it just completely custom it's just the interior right now is real raggeed out for the PO. And as long as it's there I might get a few things done. And the blind is kind of an idea I've had because the 90 is so tall and would just be awesome to be able to drive to a spot you normally couldn't get to and hunt out of a defender and will probably just end up doing that myself.

I guess the real big questions I have is if I get him to rework the gearing what ratios should I do. And whatever gearing and driveline mods I do for my engine now would that be suitable for a 300 TDI or the 2.8 like Jim said.

I was planning on doing this stuff this year and then the project next year would be a diesel but this may give me an excuse to do it now.

Thanks
IMO,

I agree that the 300 TDi is not all its cracked up to be. (oh the horror! ) Here's the thing about this engine: Its underpowered compared to new or even older stock trucks. I trailer my truck so its perfect for me with its great torque and with very low gears (6.2) it rips it up. But you mentioned that you want to go hunting I think, and camping I assume. If the purpose of your truck is to get you to and back from your trips with a full load of gear, kids, and possibly a dear strapped to the roof-rack, 135 horses just won't cut it.

I am not saying the 300 is not a great motor, it just leaves something to be desired. It hits 70 fine, but hits a wall of gearing and while it will go 80, its not good to run like that for a long time. In your case, if you have at cost Cummins, do it. Or at least, I would. Nothing beats a cummins. Of course there are big problems. Mating to a suitable t-case can be an issue. Fitment, mounts, harness, all these things will be hard. But in the end, you will have a cummins!

If you do go with the 300, its a very simple install. Let us know how the dash works out. I plan on ripping mine out soon too.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old August 8th, 2006, 06:46 PM
WestTexasDefender
Sam Allen
'97 LE #234

Well this is turing into a hassle. My truck won't start for one thing and I can't figure out what's wrong with it. If i do a diesel it won't be this year but it's starting to sound like i might just go with a cummins, thats just wishful thinking. buck you convinced me of not getting a 300 tdi, thank you, i didn't realize that it really isn't up to the stuff i'll be doing. One of my places I hunt is 2 hrs away the other is 5 and that one is 20,000 plus acres so getting me there and back from those is important. and that doesn't include kansas which is a 7 hour drive and any other place I might go. so is the 2.8 suited well for this kinda stuff or not.

All i think i'm gonna get done from RA is the dash and a few necessities like power windows, cut off switch, maybe rhino liner. I'm not to sure yet untill I got and talk with them.
Old August 8th, 2006, 08:15 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
What's clear here is you need to test drive someone's 300 tdi and/or 2.8 and make your own informed decision. For me, I reserved judgement until I test drove the 2.8 , and then I bought one. No regrets. By the way, IMO every ECU made for any engine should have their part numbers end in 666, as they are all made by the devil.
Old August 9th, 2006, 02:41 AM
mattarm
Matt
1993 D110

Anyone have anything to add on a non rover diesel in a Defender. I saw that Ryan put a GM in his 110 (http://apogee-eng.com/Assets/album_e...sion/index.htm) and wanted to know if anyone else had seen, driven or could comment on other options.
Old August 9th, 2006, 03:08 AM
pendy
jim pendleton
89'd90

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattarm
Anyone have anything to add on a non rover diesel in a Defender. I saw that Ryan put a GM in his 110 (http://apogee-eng.com/Assets/album_e...sion/index.htm) and wanted to know if anyone else had seen, driven or could comment on other options.
Ryan is putting a 2.8 TGV in the truck now. You could buy his old GM engine setup if you like.

JP

Sam just send the truck up here. I'll fix you up and get some prime hunting land reserved for you.

Advice is only as good as the person applying it--
Don't make me give you bad advice!

Lemons or lemonaide, whatever your taste provides.
Old August 9th, 2006, 04:13 AM
kevinumali
Kevin Umali

What made him want to change out that GM 6.5 for a 2.8TGV? Problems? Vibrations? or did he just get bored with it?
Old August 9th, 2006, 11:28 AM
pendy
jim pendleton
89'd90

I am not sure. He is going auto trans this time,

JP

Advice is only as good as the person applying it--
Don't make me give you bad advice!

Lemons or lemonaide, whatever your taste provides.
Old August 9th, 2006, 08:08 PM
WestTexasDefender
Sam Allen
'97 LE #234

Quote:
Originally Posted by pendy
Sam just send the truck up here. I'll fix you up and get some prime hunting land reserved for you.
That's is tempting, send me an e-mail and give me your thoughts i'm sending it to RA because they are knowledgable about defenders and they are close but the diesel I may get and have you put it in sometime next year. We are heading up there in a couple of weeks to try and find a lease around sedan, know of anything?
Old August 9th, 2006, 08:48 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestTexasDefender
That's is tempting, send me an e-mail and give me your thoughts i'm sending it to RA because they are knowledgable about defenders and they are close but the diesel I may get and have you put it in sometime next year. We are heading up there in a couple of weeks to try and find a lease around sedan, know of anything?
I can personally vouch for Pandy being just about the smartest rover diesel guy on the planet. Of course, coming from me, that doesn't mean much! Good luck with the swap.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old August 9th, 2006, 08:55 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Dear lord, forget about RA and send the thing to Pendy. I value a guy that spends more time working on trucks than preparing stuff for SEMA.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
diesel