Triathlon, Diabetes and Kids - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old April 6th, 2011, 08:12 PM
1995 D90
Triathlon, Diabetes and Kids

I was recently selected to represent Insulindependence in the Rocky Mountain Region as a Triabetes Captain in 2011-2012. Over the course of the next year, I will be helping Insulindependence expand its impact in my area by spearheading programming opportunities for the local diabetes community.

Triabetes is Club of Insulindependence (iD), a 501c3 nonprofit organization that enables successful diabetes management through peer-supported fitness and recreation programs. iD is addressing issues associated with diabetes and the helping improve the quality of life for thousands of individuals by through its unique and life-changing experiential diabetes education programs. The mission of Insulindependence is to inspire people with diabetes to set personal fitness goals; educate them on adaptive management strategies through hands-on experience; and equipping them to explore their individual capacities.

In August of this past year I was diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes. At the time I was training for the Ironman World Championship in Kona, Hawaii. I was 8 weeks out from my race at the time of diagnosis. During those first few weeks of learning about Diabetes I connected with this wonderful organization, Insulindependence. What they do for the Diabetes community is amazing.

I am asking for your help to further their cause - both in donations and in passing this message along to people you may know. I have learned in the last 8 months that so many people are told what they can’t do and how Diabetes is going to limit their lives. I live everyday knowing about all of the things you CAN do with Diabetes. I finished my first Ironman in Kona and have several other triathlon events this year. Part of my support crew for my Ironman race came from members of Insulindependence and the 2010-2011 Triabetes Captains. Here is a link to some of the amazing Captains and the documentary on my journey

Over 24 million Americans suffer from diabetes (representing roughly 8% of the population), and it is estimated that one in ten health care dollars is spent on diabetes-related care (CDC, 2008). I have been living with Type 1 diabetes for 8 months, and I have choose to control my diabetes through active living and exercise.

As part of my journey over the next year, I will be attending Insulindependence University (iDU), a volunteer leadership training program hosted by Insulindependence for Captains like myself. iDU will prepare me to mentor a type 1 child, lead local fitness events for the diabetes community, and understand more about living successfully as an athlete with diabetes.

One of my commitments to Insulindependence this year is to come up with financial resources that will cover the cost of my attendance at iDU. I hope you’ll consider helping me reach my personal fundraising goal of $4,000 by making a tax-deductible gift to my campaign. You can choose to be an Ultraman with a $320 donation, Ironman with $140.60, Half-Ironman with $70.30 or a Marathoner with a $26.20 donation!

To make a donation to my campaign, please visit the Triabetes website , where you’ll find a link under the “Captains” tab on the main page. You may also send a check to:

7770 Regents Rd #113390
San Diego, CA 92122

Please remember to see if your company will match your gift! And feel free to share this information with your friends, family and co-workers.

Thank you for your consideration, time and support. With our help, Insulindependence will continue to revolutionize diabetes management in the United States.

Old April 6th, 2011, 08:35 PM
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team
Stay strong... Sounds like you will be a great inspiration to others!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat