Transmission help - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old February 17th, 2015, 07:41 PM
down_shift
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3

Registry
As your shop is performing the rebuild, they should be able to diagnose the issue and its cause, supported by photographs and a written opinion. That could help in any recourse you might take. Good luck. Please keep this thread updated with your findings.
What failed on your original transmission? Provided there is no egress of water, these are robust.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 17th, 2015, 07:48 PM
WeBeCinYa
WeBeCinYa
94 ST #84

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by down_shift View Post
As your shop is performing the rebuild, they should be able to diagnose the issue and its cause, supported by photographs and a written opinion. That could help in any recourse you might take. Good luck. Please keep this thread updated with your findings. What failed on your original transmission? Provided there is no egress of water, these are robust.
Yes, the issue will be determined through this rebuild. I will update. Original tranny slipped bad after it was hot. I look forward to getting this one on the road soon.
1991 Range Rover Classic (sold)
1995 Range Rover Classic (sold)
2006 LR3 SE (sold)
Old February 17th, 2015, 08:20 PM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeBeCinYa View Post
Yes, the issue will be determined through this rebuild. I will update. Original tranny slipped bad after it was hot. I look forward to getting this one on the road soon.
Again I ask since you have no opinion except multiple shop hearsay that differ and you don't know the facts yourself, then how is it you are sure (with no margin for error) that Roverland Parts supplied one or more bad transmissions???
You warned members by mentioning their name specifically, but your allegations lack merit based on the facts you present.
I would ask you specifically to hold your finger pointing until you are 100% sure of the facts involved, which are not known at this point in time.
Then if the facts point to Roverland Parts specifically, then by all means blast away!

In WWII, before the facts were known, the Japanese were convinced that the USA only had one A-bomb and were certain the Soviets dropped the second A-bomb on Nagasaki based on intelligence reports.
A few days later the Japanese learned it was not the Soviets who destroyed Nagasaki.

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

"What's with this death wobble, Uncle Douglas, I can't keep it in 1 lane?"
UD: "Just Power through it man!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 17th, 2015, 08:51 PM
Viton
Deaf Ember
Smart 4x4

Throughout this entire discussion there has been no mention of the governor valve/housing or the spacer
(critical component) on the rear of the transmission. This device can make some weird shifting actions if not properly installed.

There are some very valuable information & leads in the following thread of mine on the entire Zf 4HP22.
http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...ad.php?t=46854

You may want to download some of the listed files onto your own hard drive for future reference.
Especially the pictures of the valve body as these are not widely distributed (trade secrets).
Old February 20th, 2015, 06:56 PM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viton View Post
Throughout this entire discussion there has been no mention of the governor valve/housing or the spacer (critical component) on the rear of the transmission.
True...
This is only 1 of 100 or more possible fault scenarios.

Please note, it has not been determined that any component of the rebuilt transmissions were faulty.

There are no facts presented, only hearsay from 2 different shops.
One who might have installed 2 perfectly good rebuilt transmissions incorrectly or might have installed two incorrectly rebuilt transmissions correctly (less likely).

And then there is a second shop that is going to tear down the second transmission that was installed by the first shop to determine what the real problem was (assuming this second shop is qualified to find the fault).

The sad part is that Matt has to deal with 3 transmission installs and a fault diagnosis after number 2, but before number 3 install.

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

"What's with this death wobble, Uncle Douglas, I can't keep it in 1 lane?"
UD: "Just Power through it man!"

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat