Transfer case question - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old October 4th, 2015, 08:47 PM
4x4newbie
Chad
None

Transfer case question

As a huge fan of the Defenders and Land Rovers in general, but not yet an owner or ever having driven one, I know I don't have much room to ask questions (although someone I know owns one!). However, I am generally curious about the transfer cases and how you're supposed to manipulate the "shifter" in the cab. I'm used to recent vintage trucks with basically a knob you turn to engage 4wd H and L, and I see the defender has the selector right behind the shifter.

So, looking at the LR one, it looks like it has Off and Lock o the left, and L, N, and H to the right. Where are you supposed to have it normal city driving? Then how does it progress from there?

Thanks for the education!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 4th, 2015, 08:56 PM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
NAS Defenders are AWD and the second selector is used to lock the differentials in either H or L in order to allocated equal power to both axels. You can further install differential lockers which will further equalize power to all 4 wheels.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old October 4th, 2015, 09:21 PM
4x4newbie
Chad
None

I've been digging through a lot of photos, mostly non NAS, since that's my best chance of buying one. I guess my question mostly revolves around the operation of the lever. So you say unlocked high for most use, is that to the right and all the way to the bottom? I guess you'd only use N when you want to be in neutral?

Must be that there's nothing to the left on the shifter, and you pick one of those three on the right. That was the part confusing me. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 4th, 2015, 09:29 PM
Z.G
Zack
300Tdi 95 D1

Registry
0-5mph ideally, rear right for unlocked high, forward left for locked low
Old October 4th, 2015, 09:34 PM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
Shifting to the left Locks the diffs. When from Locked to Unlock or visa versa Trans should be in N.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
transfer case