Transceiver Refresh - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old April 28th, 2015, 07:53 PM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

Transceiver Refresh

For all of you roaming monkeys out there that need a refresh...

This is a good article.Ultimate Radio Communication Guide: What to Look for in a Handheld Transceiver : ITS Tactical
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 28th, 2015, 08:03 PM
roverman2010
John
1985 LR 90 200Tdi

Registry
Yea I picked up a Beofeng duel banders a couple of weeks ago, not had much to play with it yet, but seems pretty solid.

Still looking for that place where I can carry a paddle and get asked what's that.

JnK Services
FC101 GS FFR
57 LR 88" SXF 858
85 LR90
95 D1 Tdi
05 D3 HSE
97 XK8 BRG FHC For Sale
Old April 28th, 2015, 08:04 PM
navydevildoc
Neill Thornton
1984 D90 300 Tdi / 1965 Series IIA
Site Team

Registry
Oh god. Wouxun and Baofeng. I should have known.

Please anyone considering a radio please pay the slight amount more for a quality product.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 28th, 2015, 08:22 PM
RBBailey
RBBailey
1965 IIa

Registry
I have the Boe-Fang and love it. Cheap-O, easy to use, and I've done simplex at over 20 miles with it. I keep it in my bag almost all the time.

1965 IIa SWB
1988 Saudi 110 (soon to be 300tdi)
Old April 28th, 2015, 08:25 PM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by navydevildoc View Post

Please anyone considering a radio please pay the slight amount more for a quality product.
Well you're not wrong...but everyone has to have an entry level starter. Your gotta start with twigs to build a fire.
Old April 28th, 2015, 08:37 PM
rankar
Randy
97 SW #2236 (Maggie)

Registry
that's not a bad deal to get into comm. i started along these lines. now i use motorola astro sabers and reprogram them myself for what I need.
Old April 28th, 2015, 09:25 PM
navydevildoc
Neill Thornton
1984 D90 300 Tdi / 1965 Series IIA
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by RBBailey View Post
I have the Boe-Fang and love it. Cheap-O, easy to use, and I've done simplex at over 20 miles with it. I keep it in my bag almost all the time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Larson View Post
Well you're not wrong...but everyone has to have an entry level starter. Your gotta start with twigs to build a fire.
Yes, I agree they are "entry" radios. But I bet you 99% of people could not figure out the cryptic interface to properly access a repeater, set tone squelch, etc. It's amazing how bad they are for things like that.

There are whole web sites, subreddits, and Yahoo groups dedicated to keeping people from bashing their heads in using these things.

The radio in your bag is only useful if you know how to use it. While almost all of the Amateur manufacturers make good radios with crappy UX, the 2 Chinese ones are atrocious. Spending the extra $50 gets you a useful tool instead of that thing you fiddle with on the trail. If you decide to get one of these, PLEASE for the love of the Rover Gods know how to use it!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old April 28th, 2015, 10:19 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
So what do you recommend, and if at all possible can I not look "tactical" if I have one?
Old April 28th, 2015, 11:18 PM
javelinadave
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by navydevildoc View Post

Best $39.99 spent for basically a throw away comm unit. If I dropped it in the lake I wouldn't care. If I dropped my Yaesu HT in the lake I would be pissed.
I programmed it and about a dozen Baofeng radios for friends with my MacBook using CHIRP in about 20 seconds each. Every HAM needs a Baofeng or two.
Old April 28th, 2015, 11:33 PM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

The Baofeng user experience is atrocious but to be honest, so is the $500 Yaesu experience. I really only use my HTs on the two or three offroad trips that I take a year and every time I go, I have to spend half an hour reading through the Yaesu manual to re-learn the most basic things. Two things I do that have helped:

- keep a copy of the manuals for all of your radios on your phone or tablet. Dropbox is a great place to store PDFs; so are the Kindle and iBooks apps.

- Program all of the repeater and simplex frequencies for your area into your radio beforehand. I use this software and it's totally awesome: Yaesu Radio Programming Software | Yaesu Radio Software | Cloning Software

You have to buy their little dongle but it's worth it. The software lets you make a big Excel spreadsheet of the repeater freqs, offsets, and tones and then you just press 'upload' and you're set.

Buy a good radio like a Yaesu and then buy and mod a few Baofengs to keep in your glove box and give out to your radio-less buddies for use as GMRS radios on your next trip.

/
/
/
/
Old April 29th, 2015, 03:04 AM
Ray_G
Ray Gerber
54 S1 86", 96 D1 (Coyote), 06 D3

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by javelinadave View Post
Best $39.99 spent for basically a throw away comm unit. If I dropped it in the lake I wouldn't care. If I dropped my Yaesu HT in the lake I would be pissed.
I programmed it and about a dozen Baofeng radios for friends with my MacBook using CHIRP in about 20 seconds each. Every HAM needs a Baofeng or two.
Concur, I've got a Yaesu mounted in the Disco but the Baofeng's are great to hand off to others to run on simplex and if they break, no big deal.
Old April 29th, 2015, 06:54 AM
Jonesy
Craig
87 D110 (Ruby)

Registry
$30 for something you use 10x max a year, and may drop it or break it....winner. I have an am handheld as well, and just got the Baofang uv5r for this simple reason
Old April 29th, 2015, 07:49 AM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Programming with chirp is very easy. The cable to do it costs a few $.
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old April 29th, 2015, 07:51 AM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris snell View Post
The Baofeng user experience is atrocious but to be honest, so is the $500 Yaesu experience. I really only use my HTs on the two or three offroad trips that I take a year and every time I go, I have to spend half an hour reading through the Yaesu manual to re-learn the most basic things. Two things I do that have helped:

- keep a copy of the manuals for all of your radios on your phone or tablet. Dropbox is a great place to store PDFs; so are the Kindle and iBooks apps.

- Program all of the repeater and simplex frequencies for your area into your radio beforehand. I use this software and it's totally awesome: Yaesu Radio Programming Software | Yaesu Radio Software | Cloning Software

You have to buy their little dongle but it's worth it. The software lets you make a big Excel spreadsheet of the repeater freqs, offsets, and tones and then you just press 'upload' and you're set.

Buy a good radio like a Yaesu and then buy and mod a few Baofengs to keep in your glove box and give out to your radio-less buddies for use as GMRS radios on your next trip.

X8, Agreed 100%. Well said...

------ Follow up post added April 29th, 2015 06:53 AM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by javelinadave View Post
I went straight to the Yaesu, it's read, read, read...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat