Transamerican Trail driven by LR - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old September 14th, 2013, 10:11 AM
Ray_G
Ray Gerber
54 S1 86", 96 D1 (Coyote), 06 D3

Registry
Set a date, make a commitment, plan accordingly and execute!

In essence that's exactly why we did VOT this year
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 14th, 2013, 10:24 AM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

You could do a relay across the US if people did not want to do the entire thing
Old September 14th, 2013, 03:23 PM
The Dro
Dro
1988 Ninety

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Douglas View Post

@ least 4
No kidding...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray_G View Post
Set a date, make a commitment, plan accordingly and execute!

In essence that's exactly why we did VOT this year
I like your attitude.

We can all have a talk at The Conclave over shitty beer and good food.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 18th, 2013, 12:38 AM
sflash868
Stephan Laputka
1995 D-90 SW

So you guys are kinda getting this second hand. The TAT was originally formed as a motorcycle trail and has become one of the bucket list items of the Adventure Rider. I'm an owner of an r1200 gs and have ridden parts of it, i'm also an owner of a d90 and I have to point out that if you are on this board, and want to do a trip like this for the off road element, you will be sorely disappointed. In a car, that TAT is not an off road adventure, it's simply a different and more scenic road trip. You could run the entire TAT in a RAV4. if you're cool with that.. it's stunning and an awesome experience. My .02 cents.. if you can, do it on a bike. it will be more rewarding and A LOT cheaper in gas. For a shorter experience.. I would recommend everyone look into the Shadow of the Rockies trail. More off roadish and shorter to run.
Old September 18th, 2013, 09:29 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
I can't speak for anyone else but I have no delusions about what it is
Old September 18th, 2013, 09:40 AM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
We have talked about driving the Tennessee part of the TAT.

Other things we have talked about are going to Moab and Assateague/Chincoteague.
Old September 18th, 2013, 09:56 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Speaking of which, I am sure we'll discuss this around the camp fire this weekend so show up!

But you do know first hand that you can't do it all. I am a husband and father, then did the dumbest thing ever - took on a hybrid build, and it kind of sucks out the time for long trips. I haven't even made Uhwarrie in years. I do take a number of smaller/long weekend trips every year - more than most and according to my wife, too many!

Anyway, there are life issues which make doing this a little harder than it might seem, especially when you want to do it with others (complicates the planning). I bought the TN maps for the TAT a while back, and the plan was to do that first and then plan the next section. But yes I suck, and it hasn't happened.
Old September 18th, 2013, 10:51 AM
The Dro
Dro
1988 Ninety

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgalpin View Post
I can't speak for anyone else but I have no delusions about what it is
Same here.

Quote:
Speaking of which, I am sure we'll discuss this around the camp fire this weekend so show up!

But you do know first hand that you can't do it all. I am a husband and father, then did the dumbest thing ever - took on a hybrid build, and it kind of sucks out the time for long trips. I haven't even made Uhwarrie in years. I do take a number of smaller/long weekend trips every year - more than most and according to my wife, too many!

Anyway, there are life issues which make doing this a little harder than it might seem, especially when you want to do it with others (complicates the planning). I bought the TN maps for the TAT a while back, and the plan was to do that first and then plan the next section. But yes I suck, and it hasn't happened.
Bring the family.

Old March 28th, 2014, 10:14 AM
LRNAD90
Scott T
1995 Defender 90 ST

Registry
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dro View Post
Same here.

Bring the family.
I'm the wrong one to be talking about this, since it has been I don't know how many years since my poor D's tires have left the pavement. However, the idea of running this as a Family Excursion has interested me very much. I've heard to expect everything from extremely mild to serious 4WD vehicles needed (for the western portions), and even that some areas are simply impassible by truck due to width constraints, so not entirely sure what to expect though..

What I would love is a bunch of family oriented Defender owners making the trek WITH OUR FAMILIES, and making some memories for our kids to cherish for life. Unfortunately I don't know that I am experienced enough to spear head such a trip, but I am certainly willing to help someone who is. If we could plan it a year out, maybe August 2015 or something, maybe there would be a chance in hell of putting together a group of like minded souls and pulling it off?

Other issue is of course space with the D90. With our (nine year old) Daughter (and probably a friend) in the back seat, there is essentially zero cargo space, which would mean the need for a trail ready trailer like Adventure Trailers Chaser, Horizon or teardrop. Too bad we can't rent such a resource, cause I can't afford to plop down $15-25K for a trailer for the trip, and I think many of the memories would be created camp side..

Sorry to dig up an old thread, But I'd be interested to hear others thoughts and ideas..

Old March 28th, 2014, 11:16 AM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by LRNAD90 View Post
Other issue is of course space with the D90. With our (nine year old) Daughter (and probably a friend) in the back seat, there is essentially zero cargo space, which would mean the need for a trail ready trailer like Adventure Trailers Chaser, Horizon or teardrop. Too bad we can't rent such a resource, cause I can't afford to plop down $15-25K for a trailer for the trip, and I think many of the memories would be created camp side..
Roof rack and a couple Pelican cases should do the trick.
Old March 28th, 2014, 11:29 AM
101stAirborne
Battle Ewing
1997 D90 LE 255/300

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jymmiejamz View Post
Roof rack and a couple Pelican cases should do the trick.
You can also get a trailer hitch rack that can hold the pelican cases. Much more affordable and you save the time of installing a roof rack. If you know how to weld, you can make one yourself.
Old March 28th, 2014, 12:15 PM
scrubs
henery

One should look into The Shadow of the Rockies closely, permits for reservation lands & laws we're not accustomed too could get a vehicle confiscated & you'd pay dearly to get it back...not saying it would happen but it could.

I'd still very much like to run it myself though.
Old March 29th, 2014, 05:43 PM
The Dro
Dro
1988 Ninety

Registry
I still want to do this.

We need to set a date and stick with it.

Old March 29th, 2014, 05:58 PM
Jonesy
Craig
87 D110 (Ruby)

Registry
Quote:
I still want to do this.

What pray tell will you be driving Pedro?
Old March 29th, 2014, 06:11 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesy View Post

Something he rurr'd?

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old March 29th, 2014, 08:28 PM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by 101stAirborne View Post
You can also get a trailer hitch rack that can hold the pelican cases. Much more affordable and you save the time of installing a roof rack. If you know how to weld, you can make one yourself.
I drove across country with a trailer hitch rack with a pelican case and jerry can. I would have preferred a roof rack. Its annoying to not be able to open the rear door. Also, a trailer hitch rack isn't ideal off road.
Old March 30th, 2014, 06:01 AM
The Dro
Dro
1988 Ninety

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesy View Post
I haven't bought it yet. LMAO

Old March 30th, 2014, 06:19 AM
The Dro
Dro
1988 Ninety

Registry
The LR video is on the TAT main page: http://www.transamtrail.com/

Old March 30th, 2014, 07:14 AM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

Quote:
I haven't bought it yet. LMAO
Old March 30th, 2014, 08:27 AM
mgreenspan
Matthew Greenspan
Land Rovers

Registry
Quote:
I still want to do this.

If you want I'm up for anytime between April 21st and the end of June at least for the eastern portions. It will take a long time to do the whole thing offload in trucks.

Matt

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat