Trans America trail.. - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old July 29th, 2014, 12:21 AM
the rover shop
shayne young
89,93 & 95 camel trophy 110s 06 130

Trans America trail..

So another thread got onto another one of my favorite subjects so I figured I'd see who else out there shares the same.. A couple of years ago I got a bug up my butt and wanted to do the TAT.. The trans America trail.. For those of you who aren't familiar with it there are a couple of great links on you tube etc about it..I did make a ride report on ADV rider...I think its under a heading of.. Trans America trail solo..(I'm not allowed back on that site as I was banned for 2 lifetimes..lol..otherwise is post the link).. I started out with a good buddy of mine in Tennessee after driving up there with our trucks in the back and we set off..I'd planned on trying to do the whole thing and planned a month to do it.. I had ummed and ahead about which bike to take and started to build a custom terramostro for it.. But in the end I went with my KTM 640 and in my mind it was perfect..the bigger fuel tank let me get fuel at every other chance.. My buddy bailed out on me after a couple of days so I decided to do it solo...it was freaking awesome but nearing the end I just wanted it to be over.. (When I finally got home I didn't ride for another 6 months..lol..)..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 29th, 2014, 12:29 AM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

Not having done a bit of research on this yet...a D90 could do most of it?!? but could it do it with an expedition trailer in tow?
Old July 29th, 2014, 12:29 AM
the rover shop
shayne young

In answer to a couple of questions... Yes I would love to do the trail in. A rover.. But it can't possibly be done completely.. There are a lot of sections where a car simply would not go and is not legally allowed to go.. If I was doing it again I probably would skip the sections east of New Mexico.. And I would do it again preferably in June to July.. The wild flowers on the upper plateaus were amazing...

------ Follow up post added July 29th, 2014 12:35 AM ------

It's mostly geared towards motorcycles but a lot of it is on roads that are suitable for vehicles.. I can think of quite a few sections that it would be difficult to get a car through and others where it would be impossible.. I know Tom Collins just did a big event with land rovers on the tat but I didn't even look at it because I knew that it couldn't have been all the hype that they were saying.. Start to finish my ass...I've been there done that and know it's not possible in a car... A lot of tight sections have what they referred to as "big bike bypasses" and that was just for the bigger and heavier bmw gs1200's etc.. I took my ktm 640 and it was quite challenging in some sections.. And I consider myself to be a pretty decent rider..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 29th, 2014, 12:41 AM
Z.G
Zack
300Tdi 95 D1

Registry
Having seen a bunch of videos, I'm pretty certain a mid 90s Forrester could do it. Looks like a fun trip though.
Old July 29th, 2014, 12:55 AM
the rover shop
shayne young

I'll see if I can dig up some pics of the moments that I'm referring to.. Although if it was easy enough for me to be shooting video or taking pics, it's probably not what I'm looking for as an example..lol.. Ben just black dragon canyon would be tight until you get to rattlesnake flats..lol..but there are a bunch of places that a car just won't fit...and then there are some where a car won't make it..
Old July 29th, 2014, 05:31 AM
Rugbier
Gustavo
110 Tdi - 110 N/A - D3 HSE - RRS SC

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by the rover shop View Post
I'll see if I can dig up some pics of the moments that I'm referring to.. Although if it was easy enough for me to be shooting video or taking pics, it's probably not what I'm looking for as an example..lol.. Ben just black dragon canyon would be tight until you get to rattlesnake flats..lol..but there are a bunch of places that a car just won't fit...and then there are some where a car won't make it..
There are at least 2 bypasses ( still Dusty road with no guardrail on the side ) that any full size SUV can do,

I've heard many areas got re-routed since I did it specially in the area of the Great Divide
Old July 29th, 2014, 06:06 AM
The Dro
Dro
1988 Ninety

Registry
This is in my bucket list. Pretty awesome that you did this dood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the rover shop View Post
I'm not allowed back on that site as I was banned for 2 lifetimes..lol..otherwise is post the link
I wonder why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Larson View Post
Not having done a bit of research on this yet...a D90 could do most of it?!? but could it do it with an expedition trailer in tow?
Charles and I been talking about this for as long as I can remember.

JLRNA did it on LR4's

http://www.expeditionportal.com/foru...-at-the-helm!?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old July 29th, 2014, 07:42 AM
Rugbier
Gustavo

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dro View Post
This is in my bucket list. Pretty awesome that you did this dood. I wonder why? Charles and I been talking about this for as long as I can remember. JLRNA did it on LR4's http://www.expeditionportal.com/foru...-at-the-helm!?
Since you get stuck on a 6" stump on a fire road ( with ARB LOCKERS mind you ), let me ask you... Who in hell is going to recover your sorry Mexican ass on the TAT?

Btw, taking pics at the entrance with an RTT does not constitute you drove the TAT

ROTFLMAO
Old July 29th, 2014, 08:08 AM
Z.G
Zack
300Tdi 95 D1

Registry
*gtt
Old July 29th, 2014, 08:20 AM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugbier View Post
Since you get stuck on a 6" stump on a fire road ( with ARB LOCKERS mind you ), let me ask you... Who in hell is going to recover your sorry Mexican ass on the TAT?

Btw, taking pics at the entrance with an RTT does not constitute you drove the TAT

ROTFLMAO
Damn...Mexican Ass! that's Angry! lol!! I think of Perdro as more Rico Suave than Speedy Gonzales!
Old July 29th, 2014, 08:23 AM
the rover shop
shayne young

Quote:
This is in my bucket list. Pretty awesome that you did this dood.

I wonder why?

Charles and I been talking about this for as long as I can remember.

JLRNA did SOME OF IT it on LR4's

http://www.expeditionportal.com/foru...-at-the-helm!?
Fixed it for ya...
Old July 29th, 2014, 08:33 AM
Iamkraig
Kraig
1987 defender 110

Registry
Here is a great read of a couple who drove it in a 96 Jeep XJ in one week sections over 4 years.

http://www.expeditionportal.com/foru...american+trail
Old July 29th, 2014, 08:41 AM
The Dro
Dro
1988 Ninety

Registry
Quote:

ROTFLMAO
You'll my winch biotch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z.G View Post
*gtt
No sheet dood... It's about bloddy time they get it right

Old July 29th, 2014, 08:41 AM
Jonesy
Craig
87 D110 (Ruby)

Registry
Im out...unless Pedro does it in the right seat with Charles
Old July 29th, 2014, 08:50 AM
The Dro
Dro
1988 Ninety

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesy View Post
Im out...unless Pedro does it in the right seat with Charles
I can run the TAT again...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TAT.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	46.8 KB
ID:	99629  

Old July 29th, 2014, 08:57 AM
Jonesy
Craig
87 D110 (Ruby)

Registry
Dood - the only thing you run is your mouth

LMAO
Old July 29th, 2014, 09:00 AM
The Dro
Dro
1988 Ninety

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesy View Post
Dood - the only thing you run is your mouth

LMAO
You are confusing me with Goose

Old July 29th, 2014, 09:37 AM
Rugbier
Gustavo

Registry
Quote:
You are confusing me with Goose
Yo uare right...

I run my mouth cause I can back it up... what is your excuse ( per Bill Larson ) GERARDO .... el ...... Rico ...Suave

LMAO

The people across the table ( closing room ) are wondering if I have Turrets.. I am laughing so hard
Old July 29th, 2014, 09:47 AM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Someone needs to cast Goose and Pedro in a movie. Maybe a bumbling buddy cop flick. It'd have to have subtitles though.

Might throw Jonesy and Charles in there and make it a Road Trip sequel.

Semper Fi!
Old July 29th, 2014, 09:49 AM
the rover shop
shayne young

Quote:
Yo uare right...

I run my mouth cause I can back it up... what is your excuse ( per Bill Larson ) GERARDO .... el ...... Rico ...Suave

LMAO

The people across the table ( closing room ) are wondering if I have Turrets.. I am laughing so hard
Dood... I think turrets is the least of your afflictions you/we should be worried about...lol..

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat