Trailer set up - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old May 6th, 2013, 05:22 PM
sflash868
Stephan Laputka
1995 D-90 SW

Trailer set up

It's making me nervous, so I thought I would post..

How do we feel about this setup? That's my race trailer which normally hauls 2900 pounds. It's a 7K trailer and weighs conservatively 1500. I figure the D is 4500 conservatively and the bike is 300. That puts me at 6300 gross. Now factor in the hitch weight of 400-500 pounds, and I can probably get the axles weights on the trailer to a gross of 5800 ish.

Trailer has new wheels and tires, new suspension bolts, new equalizer, new shackles but original leafs and bearings. It's going 5K miles like this... I think I might lower the ball height to get more weight on the Tundra but otherwise I should be ok right?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1213.JPG
Views:	222
Size:	163.9 KB
ID:	71687  
Advertisement

Old May 6th, 2013, 05:31 PM
sflash868
Stephan Laputka
1995 D-90 SW

Oh and before someone suggests putting the bike in the bed of the truck, there will already be 3 other bikes in there.
Old May 6th, 2013, 05:44 PM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
Have you driven it like this? I'd be worried that the D90 is too far back on the trailer, but its hard for me to tell from the pics. I'm sure it'll be fine if you have the weight distributed evenly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 6th, 2013, 06:35 PM
crown14
Verticalscrote
Volkswagen Super Beetle
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Better to move the 90 up and if you have to carry 4 bikes put it behind the 90. And start shopping for a dually. Trailer will probably last 10000 miles or so.
Old May 7th, 2013, 05:09 AM
sflash868
Stephan Laputka
1995 D-90 SW

well the problem I have is that the tire rack is not letting me move the D any farther forward. I'm thinking about letting air out of the tires to see if I can get under that rack but I don't know if it will be enough.

I have taken it for a drive and the trailer pulls fine as far as I can tell. Tundra moves it no problem whatsoever. I measured the height of the truck before and after putting that trailer on the hitch only squats the truck about 1.75 inches or so as measured from the rear wheel well. I read in some test online of the tundra that a 650 pound tongue weight dropped it 2 7/8 (measure from the hitch) so I think I gotta come up with something to get more of the weight forward. Lower hitch height for sure..
Old May 7th, 2013, 08:07 AM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

Level the trailer and balance the weight and it will be fine. Do you have brakes on both wheels?

If you can't balance it right facing forward, try it facing backwards.

Old May 7th, 2013, 09:45 AM
Daddymow
Raub A.
1987 D110 Tithonus

Registry
Cut the rack off, get the weight distribution right, make the trip and weld it back on when you get back. The weight looks like it is too far back, which will make it unsafe at speed. Once a trailer loaded too heavy in the back starts to sway, you are just along for the ride at that point. Also, level the tongue height. It is very important that the tounge weight and trailer axel weights are right, otherwise you will lose control of it in the situations (down hills, curves, and rapid deceleration/stops).
Old May 7th, 2013, 09:57 AM
sflash868
Stephan Laputka
1995 D-90 SW

In the photo the trailer is sitting on the front jack, it's not hooked up to the truck. When it is hooked up, it sits relatively flat with a slight rise at the front. Even when hooked up though, the rear axle on the trailer is tucked up much more than the front, so still need to get more weight forward. I took the front lights off and got another 10 inches forward. Going to drain the tank and move the spare tire to the front as well. Should shift about 160 pounds forward. Every little bit helps I guess.

Not going to cut the rack off.. I would rather remove the Rockware bumper before doing that. While I feel like this is terrible idea, what about running a winch cable straight down and using the winch to compress the front suspension? Would that just be terrible for the winch to leave it like that for 4 days?
Old May 7th, 2013, 12:17 PM
Daddymow
Raub A.
1987 D110 Tithonus

Registry
Having pulled alot of equipment and boats over the years if it is loaded right you wont hardly know it's back there. If not, it will be 5k miles of white knuckle driving and no fun. Also when I am hauling my trailer any distance far from home I take at least two (pref three) good spare tires, a good jack, wood blocks and a complete hub assembly. Looks like a fun trip planned. Keep us posted.
Old May 7th, 2013, 01:08 PM
sflash868
Stephan Laputka
1995 D-90 SW

Spare hub would be nice.. I have 3 spare tires and LOTS of straps.

OK last question.. If after all my efforts, if it's still not balanced would it be better to add more weight to the front to balance it out but also adding to the gross weight or leave it alone all together and drive it as best I can. Again, I took it for a drive on the highway and I did 75 with no issues
Old May 7th, 2013, 01:09 PM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddymow View Post
Having pulled alot of equipment and boats over the years if it is loaded right you wont hardly know it's back there. If not, it will be 5k miles of white knuckle driving and no fun. Also when I am hauling my trailer any distance far from home I take at least two (pref three) good spare tires, a good jack, wood blocks and a complete hub assembly. Looks like a fun trip planned. Keep us posted.
Word

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Old May 7th, 2013, 01:50 PM
josh-man
joshua
82 Land Rover 110 Ex MOD

Registry
What Jeff said. Do whatever you can to get the weight more forward. I had a tough fishtale incident when I was young and dumb, and boy not only did it scare the living SH&T out of me, I could have killed the two other drivers on each side of me.

In my opinion it looks like the weight is too far back. Tough angle from the pic, but is the engine weight far in front of the forward most axle?
Old May 7th, 2013, 05:46 PM
sflash868
Stephan Laputka
1995 D-90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh-man View Post
What Jeff said. Do whatever you can to get the weight more forward. I had a tough fishtale incident when I was young and dumb, and boy not only did it scare the living SH&T out of me, I could have killed the two other drivers on each side of me.

In my opinion it looks like the weight is too far back. Tough angle from the pic, but is the engine weight far in front of the forward most axle?
Yeah the engine weight is forward of the axle. The weight isn't so far back that it will fishtail. I also learned that the hardway once when I was young... It sat the truck almost 2 inches when I hooked it up. There is probably 400 pounds on the hitch. It's light.. but not dangerously light. I was more concerned about getting weight on the truck because i'm concerned about the trailer holding together. Move some weight around, drop the ball height and I think I'll be good but man does that trailer squat when the D gets on it. When I finally hitch it all together this weekend, I'll post a pic of the final setup.
Old May 7th, 2013, 06:18 PM
GuamPilot
Mike & Carrie Wendt
1986 90 2.5NA

Registry
I know you said you don't want to cut the tire rack off but it looks like it would be easy to use some next size larger tubing and drill some holes and make the rack a convertible. Then you have easy flexibility to go with/without the rack.

The next idea is to extend the rack higher so you can fit the D-90 bumper underneath.

Mike
Old May 7th, 2013, 06:22 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

At that angle, the bulk of the weight of the trailer is on the rear axle and rear tires of the trailer --- BAD NEWS. You need to drop the hitch which should help with weight distribution as well.
Old May 7th, 2013, 06:33 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

I'd like to see a side on view loaded up with everything rather than a 45 deg angle.
Is there a WD hitch on this? I definitely don't like the fact that the rear most axle is clearly more loaded than the front.

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old May 7th, 2013, 09:41 PM
dlane
David Lane
1997 AA Yellow #1147

Registry
I was worried about pushing the weight of 7700# trailer when I was looking to start towing mine. Decided to spend a few extra $$$ on the 9990# trailer so I would not have to worry about whatever I wanted to put on it.
Old May 12th, 2013, 10:24 PM
sflash868
Stephan Laputka
1995 D-90 SW

Here is the final product. It's sitting dead flat according to the level I put on the deck of the trailer. Truck is sitting 6 inches after adding all that weight. Should be an interesting drive!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0745.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	154.1 KB
ID:	72218   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0746.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	154.0 KB
ID:	72219  

Old May 12th, 2013, 10:42 PM
myoverlandrover
josh

I borrowed a 7k landscape trailer this winter to tow my rover and will never do it again. Getting near the weigh limit of the trailer made it tow like shit and was just to scary and I consider myself seasoned in towing sketchy loads. Take a highway pre run first and get a feel for it
Old May 12th, 2013, 11:00 PM
Daddymow
Raub A.
1987 D110 Tithonus

Registry
Looks good, but if it starts fishtailing "it's a dead giveaway" the shit is loaded wrong.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Charles Ramsey.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	14.8 KB
ID:	72220  

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat