Trailer set up - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old May 13th, 2013, 09:32 AM
sflash868
Stephan Laputka
1995 D-90 SW

I did test drive it before I added the bikes and tools in the bed of the truck. Now, it sits much lower than it did when did the test, which can only help. During the test drive, it towed fine, no swaying or anything like that but I for the first time I did see the 5.7 require all 380HP to get it up to 75 before the end of the on ramp. Should make I70 in Colorado entertaining. Anybody want to take a guess at what my fuel mileage is going to be? Towing the race car I get btw 11-12 and that's probably 5K pounds all in. I'm going with 8 mpg
Advertisement

Old May 13th, 2013, 10:00 AM
down_shift
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3

Registry
My E-350 V-10 averages 9 mph hauling the race car, 5 guys, and probably north of 700 lbs of tools, gear, and parts, etc. 75 is our speed.

Guessing 9 mph for your trip. Save travels. What is the occasion? Looks like it will be fun.
Old May 13th, 2013, 10:46 AM
sflash868
Stephan Laputka
1995 D-90 SW

Going to Moab.

My family is flying in, wife is driving with me and the dogs.. My in laws just built up a Rubicon and they are going down from Boise with the Jeep, more motorcycles and ATVs in an overloaded F-250. Going to be ten of us.

Given all the people and the gear for the different activities, it was too much for the Defender so I decided not to drive it out there. The Defender in current spec, fully loaded, towing a trailer of motorcycles would get less MPG than the Tundra towing all that weight and would struggle to hit 55 mph. Not to mention the wear and tear... Plan is to dirt bike in the mornings and 4 wheel in the afternoon with hiking sprinkled in.

Anyone in town at the same time is more than welcome to join!
Advertisement

Old May 13th, 2013, 11:39 AM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Looks better. How's it drive?

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old May 13th, 2013, 02:35 PM
Craigd
Craig Dickson
1995 D90 Red Soft top

Registry
How is the clearance between the trailer tires and fenders?? It looks kind of close in the picture, but that could be the angle.
Old May 27th, 2013, 10:18 PM
sflash868
Stephan Laputka
1995 D-90 SW

Well I made it back from the trip to Moab. It was awesome. I thought I would follow up on the thread with the final results from the trailering experiment.

2008 Toyota Tundra SR5 5.7 quad cab
7K pound race trailer (Curb Weight 1350)
4 dirt bikes; 1 BMW r1200 GS
2 people, 1 Golden Retriever
Defender 90 SW
Assorted gear and 100+ pounds of tools
Gross Weight approx: 15,500
Roughly 5000 miles

Couple Observations
1. Trailer brakes would have been nice. It stopped perfectly fine when I wanted it to but any emergency maneuvers would have been a problem. Never had a close call but I felt the trailer pushing and needed to actively plan for it. Eventually it became second nature.

2. Tundra is rated for 1500 payload. 4 dirt bikes in the bed and the GS on the tongue of the trailer in addition to the hitch weight.. I was way over that. Sitting in the driveway in Moab, fully loaded at a standstill the rear suspension was sitting on the bump stops. Drove it home like that. I was under it today and no worse for wear that I can tell from a visual inspection. Truck handled it fine.

3. Bias ply trailer tires are crap. Don't use them. When I left, the front trailer axle had bias plys and the rear had radials. all 4 new. after 2K miles the bias plys were corded, radials looked new. During gas stops I took the carcass temps with a digital pyrometer and the bias plys consistently ran 30 degrees hotter than the radials. all 4 were at 50 PSI cold. Hot PSI for BP was 62 and 55 for radials. For the ride home, I found two more radials for the front axle and they look brand new after the ride home so it's not a suspension issue on the trailer.

4. On the way out I averaged 8 MPG and after switching to radials on the trailer I picked up .3 MPG on the way home (8.3) despite increasing the payload by 800 pounds for the return trip. Cruise control was btw. 70 and 78. Truck had more than enough power but rarely got out of 4th gear. If it was Kansas flat, I could do 75 in fifth. Never saw 6th. Surprisingly, engine didn't burn a drop of oil.

5. Trailer took it fine except for one issue.. a lack of any bump stops. With the load, the axles would tuck up to within 2 inches of the frame rails. Hitting a dip in the road at speed caused the trailer to bottom out pretty hard and the axles hit the frame rail hard enough to make an indentation. not a big one, but noticeable.

If I was to do this again: Trailer brakes on one axle, Air bags in the rear of the Tundra, load distributing hitch, radials all around on the trailer and I would be good.
Old May 27th, 2013, 11:06 PM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

Thanks for following up. If you are going to do trailer brakes, do both axles. That way if you burn up a set of bearing, you still another set of brakes. Most states now require trailer brakes on both axels.

Old May 28th, 2013, 08:18 AM
Antichrist
Tom Rowe
Defender/Disco/Series/MoD

You needed trailer brakes before you left your driveway
http://drivinglaws.aaa.com/laws/trailer-brakes/
Quote:
New York

Every trailer and semitrailer weighing more than 1,000 lbs. unladen and every trailer and semitrailer manufactured on or after January 1, 1971, having a registered maximum gross weight or an actual gross weight of more than 3,000 lbs. shall be equipped with adequate brakes in good working order.

Here's a visual of the US requirements: http://www.towshop.com/trailer_suppl...aking_laws.htm

Four wheel drive allows you to get stuck
in places even more inaccessible.

62 88 Regular
67 109 6cyl NADA x2
74 Lightweight - The Antichrist
95 DI 5-speed
95 D90 5-speed
97 D1 Automatic
Old May 28th, 2013, 09:24 AM
sflash868
Stephan Laputka
1995 D-90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antichrist View Post
You needed trailer brakes before you left your driveway
http://drivinglaws.aaa.com/laws/trailer-brakes/

Here's a visual of the US requirements: http://www.towshop.com/trailer_suppl...aking_laws.htm
So if I get pulled over in New Hampshire our Missouri i'm good . Yeah I know I needed brakes but I was out of time before the trip. the trailer has them but the the wiring is messed up. just need to dedicate a weekend to it..

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat