Registry
Buy Intense. They're made in the USA.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 14th, 2015, 08:46 AM
LR Max
Thomason, Max
1973 Series 3 109

I think its more about the bike shop than the actual bikes. The shop I bought my Treks from (I've had good luck with the brand) would be rough if you just had whatever work done to it. However they have great inventory and ride days. In comparison, the new small shop is awesome. Great service and very affordable. However they don't have crap for stock.

Considering you are looking to get back into it and your old bike hasn't been ridden in 3-5 years, I'd say look for a good, used bike. That way you don't blow the bank. I really think these days to get a good bike, you need to spend like, $3k...minimum. A good used hard tail can easily be had for sub-$1k and will be simpler and cheaper than a full suspension.

Do that and then make sure you legit want to get back into it. Then you'll start doing test rides, etc. Talk to others, then move up with that.

Also...saddle. Do not skimp out on a saddle. Whether its a very expensive bike or a 2nd hand bike.

Personally, I'd like a new full suspension bike. $3k range. I said if I ride every week, then I can get a new ride. So far, I'm failing.
Old July 14th, 2015, 06:47 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

A lot of people are saying go used to get back into it. I say to get back into it get on your current bike. Buying used is great if you are knowledgeable. If you don't know what you want I rather get something new from a store that will back the product and help you out as you go. With that said here is some info on the new Konas

First Look: Kona's 2016 Lineup - Pinkbike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 14th, 2015, 06:50 PM
drdread
AL
'94 NAS 90 SW

Registry
Yeah I think new is the best option for me logistically. Don't have many selections of used great spec bikes near me If only I lived in Toronto Utah Cali or anywhere down south.

It seems kona is getting a lot of votes.
Old July 14th, 2015, 06:56 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Not sure if Kona makes a carbon bike.

Do you have a local rocky dealer? If so check out the thunderbolt bc. Awesome bike.

As for 27.5 or 29. You can't go wrong with either. I went from a 26 turner to a 29 Rocky and the transition took one ride. I'm faster and there is no trail where I wish I was still on a 26.
Old July 14th, 2015, 07:36 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjf View Post
Not sure if Kona makes a carbon bike. Do you have a local rocky dealer? If so check out the thunderbolt bc. Awesome bike. As for 27.5 or 29. You can't go wrong with either. I went from a 26 turner to a 29 Rocky and the transition took one ride. I'm faster and there is no trail where I wish I was still on a 26.
If he is just getting back into it an aluminum frame should be plenty fine. Like you said before it will feel light years better than what he has now. Plus an aluminum frame bike should fit into his budget more easily.

I definitely agree with getting something new (or even better a 2015 when the 2016 start dropping). And agree with a 650 or 29er. He is 6 ft so he won't look like a monkey riding a horse. It seemed that once 29ers hit hard riders just over 5' tall were trying to ride them and had to ride frames with 3" HT's and a mess of tubes in the back. Then they wondered why they couldn't pull the front end over a log or rock.
Old July 14th, 2015, 07:57 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

I agree with Don. Just get a 15 when 16 comes out. Personally I would rather carbon. I end up changing everything anyway so I want the good frame. If you are getting a trail bike you want a fox 36 or pike up front and something equivalent in the back.

If I was building a good mid range bike
full shimano XT 1x11
XT brakes
raceface 35mm bars and stem
dropper post - must
pike or fox 36
monarch, cane creek or a double barrel fox
Old July 14th, 2015, 08:04 PM
LostChord
Brian
86 D110 SW

Registry
Admittedly, I do significantly more road biking, but my plan roughly 5 years ago to get back into MTB riding was a Cannondale F7, 26-inch wheels on an aluminum hardtail. By the time I left the shop, it was an F4

------ Follow up post added July 14th, 2015 08:05 PM ------

]Admittedly, I do significantly more road biking, but my plan roughly 5 years ago to get back into MTB riding was a Cannondale F7, 26-inch wheels on an aluminum hardtail, and then go from there. By the time I left the shop, it was an F4....and still is

------ Follow up post added July 14th, 2015 08:06 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostChord View Post
Admittedly, I do significantly more road biking, but my plan roughly 5 years ago to get back into MTB riding was a Cannondale F7, 26-inch wheels on an aluminum hardtail. By the time I left the shop, it was an F4 ------ Follow up post added July 14th, 2015 08:05 PM ------ ]Admittedly, I do significantly more road biking, but my plan roughly 5 years ago to get back into MTB riding was a Cannondale F7, 26-inch wheels on an aluminum hardtail, and then go from there. By the time I left the shop, it was an F4....and still is
Double tap post edit fail
Old July 14th, 2015, 08:08 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjf View Post
I agree with Don. Just get a 15 when 16 comes out. Personally I would rather carbon. I end up changing everything anyway so I want the good frame. If you are getting a trail bike you want a fox 36 or pike up front and something equivalent in the back. If I was building a good mid range bike full shimano XT 1x11 XT brakes raceface 35mm bars and stem dropper post - must pike or fox 36 monarch, cane creek or a double barrel fox
Very good point on the forks - at least to me they are a very important piece. I got tossed at Whistler last year riding a rental bike in the DJ park because the fork was way too springy and I got sent off a lip all weird. Bruised heel and ego was the outcome.

Yeah - definitely the Fox 36 or Rock Shox Pike based on readings and experience for a trail fork. Fox has that app to dial in the settings. And I love the chassis of the Rock Shox.

And so true about the best frame you can get. You will want to upgrade once you get used to it and the "new" wears off. Items like bars, stem, and tires are a bunch cheaper and easier than a frame.
Old July 14th, 2015, 09:36 PM
jefhuf
Jeff Huff
'94 D90 ST #655
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by spaeth View Post
I am riding a Transition Scout that is really similar to the Kona 134. I switched down to the 27.5 wheels in order to have the option of running a front derailed if I need to. I went with a 1x10 and so far I am really happy with it using a 26 tooth up front and a 42 ring in the back. I would look for a company that has been working on super short chain stay geometry. It makes a big wheel bike ride super snappy and hoppable. A carbon frame is one place to save weight but I went with the Derby 40 mm wide carbon wheels and they are Awesome! I am 215 lbs. and I can run 27lbs of pressure in the back and 19 in the front. It makes them super grippy and really fun in loose conditions.

Any of the newer style geometry bikes will be a great improvement over what you are currently riding.
Good luck with your search.
I'll put another vote in for TBC. I have owned several bikes from Transition (Blindside, Covert and current rig is a Bandit) and they have all been awesome, not to mention the fact that if you are so inclined you can pick up the phone and talk to the owner of the company if you have an issue. They are not the easiest bikes to come by on the east coast, although I am lucky as there is actually a dealer near me but they are definitely worth the money.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old July 15th, 2015, 12:39 AM
drdread
AL
'94 NAS 90 SW

Registry
You guys are awesome. So I decided to dig into pinkbike a little and actually register, and search by my location, and voila. There actually are some nice looking bikes out there. I think.

Since so much as changed, since I was last in the game, and I am only slowly getting my know how up, as many of you suggested, I just don't know what the hell I'm looking at. At this point, I'm thinking-
-Good price point
-carbon frame
-1x10, blah blah blah
-decent components as they can be changed later (but quite honestly, the alphabet soup of components is beginning to sound like OBLC)
-29 or 27.5, I'll take whatever and learn to like it.
- make sure bike is in good condition in person
- pray I made a good decision

here's a few that caught my eye:

2014 Rocky Mountain Element 950RSL 29er LRG For Sale
2014 Jamis Nemesis Pro For Sale
2010 Gary Fisher Superfly 100 29er bicycle full suspension carbon For Sale
and if I wasn't doing major restorations/repair on both my RRC and DEFENDER 90, summer camp/vacation, Uncle Sam, blah blah blah, I'd so get this------- 2013 Niner Jet 9 RDO, Gold Chris King wheels &amp; headset For Sale

If someone could especially comment on this one, as I don't get the aluminum and carbon mix (in terms of good, bad, bleh???), but otherwise it seems a contender, just not a name I recognize 2014 Lapierre Zesty Trail 529 E:I Bike For Sale

Thanks guys
Old July 15th, 2015, 09:11 AM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

I wouldn't buy anything older than 2014. That Gary fisher is already dated.

Also I would lean more toward a trail bike and not a cross country bike. I had an element, actually two and loved it but cross country bikes don't have much travel and new trail bikes are very light and so much more fun.
Old July 15th, 2015, 09:31 AM
spaeth
Craig Spaeth
93 RRC LWB 300TDI

If you are looking at 29ers I would strongly suggest only getting something from the last two years or so. They have been drastically shortening the chain stay length on the newer versions which makes them way more fun to ride. The Kona 134 you mentioned earlier is one design that really utilizes this geometry. They are much more playful and and snappy as well as much easier to hop as the rear wheel is more under your rear end.

I am not really understanding why you are so set on a carbon frame. If you actually look at the weight savings it usually isn't huge. I would (and did) save the money on the carbon frame and put it into carbon, or at least high quality light weight wheels. The wheels are spinning mass and at either end of the bike. You will notice even small weight differences in the wheels that you would never notice on a frame.

There is a small movement towards less travel for "Trail" bikes. My Transition and the Kona 134 are in this group. It really gives you more feel for the trail and saves some weight. I am pretty much your size 6'2" and 215 and never have an issue bottoming out. My big jumps are two feet or so. If you are going big wheels I would look towards less travel and as short of chain stay as you can find and it will be way more fun to ride.

Mostly enjoy your search and try not to get too hung up on specs and materials. Try to ride as many bikes as you can. When you find one you love, buy it and ride the crap out of it.
Old July 15th, 2015, 09:42 AM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

With 29ers there aren't many long travel options anyway. The enduro is the longest travel I know of at 160/155. My instinct is 140/130.

I say go carbon as it is laterally stiffer. I run carbon wheels (derby) and yes they are fun but not necessarily worth it for someone getting back into it.
Old July 20th, 2015, 03:04 PM
drdread
AL
'94 NAS 90 SW

Registry
In Conclusion

Thanks to al of you for your great insights, suggestions, and advices.

Decided to get a 2015 of this

Santa Cruz 5010

Getting the all Carbon S build.

Figured my Specialized lasted over a decade, I hope to get as much if not more out of this.

Thanks again
Old July 20th, 2015, 03:43 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Great choice
Old July 20th, 2015, 06:00 PM
dendrite
John
97/D90 #147

Registry
Nice bike, great reviews, you will like!
Old July 20th, 2015, 06:05 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
I like Santa Cruz a lot. I demo'd a Bronson a couple years ago. Great bike.

That video shows what Barry was talking about by getting a modern day trail bike. Do it all: long sustained climbs but can also rip the downhill.
Old July 20th, 2015, 10:31 PM
hunterjah
Jesse Hardin
Past: '97 D90 LE #135

Quote:
Originally Posted by WG_moots View Post
I have been riding/racing my Moots Ti hard-tail for years. It's light, durable, and a great cross country machine. They also have the YBB and full suspension options. I visited their factory during the Bicycle tour of Colorado a few years back. Everything is still hand made and shaped. They are worth the entry price. Moots ¬Ľ OUR BIKES
I second Moots! I was just at the factory. You won't find one in your price range though eBay has plenty. They stand behind their products. Ti bikes look sexy in the raw too.

Previous Rovers:
1997 LR D90 LE - #135
1997 LR D90 ST - #1185 (BRG)
2000 LR Discovery SII (Oxford Blue)
2008 LR LR3 HSE (Alaska White)
2012 LR LR4 Lux (Fuji White)
Old July 20th, 2015, 11:12 PM
Ignotus
gene
1960 109, w/200TDI

The SC 5010 is a great bike! you will enjoy it. I ride an 04 Titus Racer X with 26's. I went to the Sea Otter Classic this year and was impressed with the fat bikes. I did a couple of demos on different brands, If I had the yenom I'd go for the Turner King Khan or the Rocky Mtn Sherpa.

If you haven't bought the bike yet I was going to suggest buying some of the Mountain bike magazines to edjumacate yerself on whats new.

Here's a 5010 in a video;
Blog;
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
mount