Tragic News about a D-90 Member and Friend: Brad Harris - Page 12 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old February 13th, 2012, 11:08 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Hi Everyone,

It seems the board has gone to shit lately. With all the talk about rusty factory bolts and how things were better when poor people didn't buy Defenders we have lost site of why we come here in the first place. That reason being of course to read my daily mockery of rhinolining, carpeted interiors and of course short men that go by the name of Horsey. I miss the good old days.

Before the board slides further into the abyss I wanted to bring up one positive thing. Brad's truck has axles under it again!!! A friend of the family towed it to a local shop and put the axles, suspension, and wheels back on. It is purely together as a roller (no diffs, etc) so the next thing that we would like to see happen is it get sent to ECR for a mechanical sorting. Jeff Briggs contacted Mike and they still have no problem donating their time and resources to get the truck running and driving correctly.

The family would like to ship the truck as soon as possible and they have put some money aside to do so. Does anyone have any recommendations for a shipper?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 13th, 2012, 11:40 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
That's awesome news. I lost track of how much this community donated, but is there any chance they could use additional help for the shipping? I'm happy to kick something in.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 13th, 2012, 11:47 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

I'm sure the additional funds would be appreciated.

Any ideas on shippers?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 14th, 2012, 12:10 AM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

Barry, these guys shipped my truck down to ABQ for another LT230 rebuild last week. They were pretty easy to deal with.

Yes, I still believe that carpet belongs in an ST, that you will never wheel your truck, and that it was better when poor people didn't drive Defenders. I also think that I would still like to fly to LA and help rebuild Brad's truck if the ECR thing is too much to organize. With the truck rolling, I could throw the diffs and axles in in a couple of hours and spend the rest fixing other things. With a group of people, we could get lots done in a weekend, ECR or not.

------ Follow up post added February 14th, 2012 12:18 AM ------

By the way, if you do use Mountainside to ship it, don't be afraid when two 6'8" 300lb Aryan-looking, non-English-speaking Polish guys show up at your door. They scared the shit out of me at first ("Halo, vee here to peek up zer Lan Rova") but they did a good job and treated the truck with care.
Old February 14th, 2012, 12:33 AM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

If I lived closer it would be easier to organize. Brad is about 45 miles away so it is hard to figure out what the truck needs from afar. Also with the housings in a mid toyo conversion there is even more to consider that I don't know about. I think the ecr route is the best bet.
Old February 14th, 2012, 05:01 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Where am I sending cash again? i.e. paypal address?

Old February 14th, 2012, 05:51 AM
phoenix37
john
97 D90 ST / 1957 S1 109/ 1983 LS110

Registry
I had spoken to Jeff Barnes about shipping and explained the situation. He said he would give us a break on the cost when he had an empty spot headed east. I still like the hand off across the country idea.
Old February 14th, 2012, 06:09 AM
SafariHP
Safari Heritage Parts
1983 Defender 110

I am more than willing to assist in any way needed. Please let me know if we can help.
Old February 14th, 2012, 07:35 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
This

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjf View Post
Ok let's use my PayPal

Barryfein @ gmail

Just make it a gift and put brads name in the subject.
Old February 14th, 2012, 10:26 AM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC
Thanks for the cash. I will see to it the family gets it.
Old February 14th, 2012, 10:28 AM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjf View Post
If I lived closer it would be easier to organize. Brad is about 45 miles away so it is hard to figure out what the truck needs from afar. Also with the housings in a mid toyo conversion there is even more to consider that I don't know about. I think the ecr route is the best bet.
That's fine. The offer still stands. We can always do a work day on it before it goes to ECR, to get it that much further.
Old February 14th, 2012, 10:34 AM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

The offer is appreciated.

Brian and I are going to go check it out before it goes. We need to put the top on. We will take some pics of how it sits now.
Old February 14th, 2012, 10:41 AM
d90boy
keith humphreys
aka: Mr Fancy Pants

Registry
great bump barry! well needed.

my shipper goes from LA to boston every other wednesday. will be in LA on wednesday coming east. he can drop it here and then i will find another truck to get it to ECR (i know it sounds like a cluster F - but the east to west guy is great) it will be $1,100 to get here then another 300 or so from me to ECR. maybe mike can convince him to take a buck or two less.

let me know if this may help. glad to participate. again, this is a great way to get the "regulars" minds off all the other crap / chatter going on - beating the dead horse. =)
Old February 14th, 2012, 10:45 AM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Brian has been working with the family in shipping. They may have found a shipper. Hopefully we will know more today.
Old February 14th, 2012, 11:20 AM
d90boy
keith humphreys
aka: Mr Fancy Pants

Registry
ah ok. let me know if you need me.
Old February 14th, 2012, 11:42 AM
specops1526
Brian
Beluga '97 90

Actually, any help with shipping would be appreciated. The family is calling around for some estimates but I figure if we can find someone familiar with Land Rovers then that would be better since the truck is only rolling. If not, no big deal. Anyone that can give us a break would be a big help too.

-->
Beluga 97 D-90
Chawton 04 DII SE
Tangiers 04 DII G4
Old February 14th, 2012, 11:43 AM
J. Andrew
J. Andrew
95 D90 NAS SW #384

This is once again further proof of the stand up nature of the members of this community. I'm sure if this was a Gwagon forum some "nice man" would have "offered to take the project off of the family's hands" at a "reasonable rate."

I used Mans Auto Transport (found through autotransportdirect) the last time, and they had really good rates, esp if you could either drop off or pick up, or both from a specified location. If someone in LA has AAAplus, they could get it towed to a central spot and then could get it delivered straight to ECR.
Old February 19th, 2012, 02:53 PM
NomaD110
Christian
1993 Defender 110

Registry
Wow I just read this and it's soo tragic. Deepest condolences. Barry you're a good man.
Old February 19th, 2012, 03:37 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Quote:
Originally Posted by NomaD110 View Post
Wow I just read this and it's soo tragic. Deepest condolences. Barry you're a good man.
Let's not go overboard on how good a man I am. Thanks for the cash though. We have $350 toward shipping now.
Old April 2nd, 2012, 12:49 PM
ron
Ron
1994 NAS Defender 90

If someone gets it to the MA border I will bring it up to ECR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
90, d-90, news