Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old July 22nd, 2013, 04:47 PM
NealK
Neal
97 AA Yellow ST, #1905

Registry
Tragedy and Triumph: The Purchase of my First 90

Hey Guys, been lurking on the forums for 2 years or so soaking everything up and watching the for sale section. About 1.5 years ago I came upon a 1997 AA Yellow ST outside of San Antonio, abut 3 hours away from me, on Craigslist. The price was fair and good location so I started to look into ways of making it mine. At the time it was not in the cards for me and I moved on. Then in February the add popped up again and while not quite ready to make a move on it I was close so I decided to check it out. It was great, the couple had 2 defenders and were selling one, and had had one before so they had taken great care of them and knew the vehicles. I tried to get the money together then but could not. In June the add popped back up on Craigslist again and I knew I would be able to buy it Middle of July with all the saving I had been doing. I got with them again to find out that they had just received an offer and i was just a couple days too late. I told them to get back with me if it fell through but I moved on disappointed. A week and half later I got the email saying the deal had gone south and I could get the 90! I was super excited and we set everything up as a cash deal and I prepared to make the trip.

On Thursday I went to the bank to pull out the money. It took a little bit of time as they went through everything to bring out the cash and count it out. The whole time I was in there 4 people came in to do transactions. I walked out with the cash and me and my fiance drove to grab a sandwich. While waiting in line I noticed a truck oddly parked behind mine but figured they were waiting for a parking spot. As a spot opened up and the truck didn't move I started to move towards the door of the shop, as I saw feet get out of the passenger side of the truck and run towards mine. By the time I got to the truck to find my window bashed out and the cash gone it was too late. I got a description of the truck but no plate. I was heartbroken. Someone had followed us from the bank and stole my Defender money, I didn't even have it in my possession for 10 minutes.

Luckily for me I have some amazing people in my life who stepped up to loan me the money as they knew this is what I had been saving for. So we set it up and made the bittersweet trip to San Antonio. On the way we catch a flat tire in my fiances BMW, it is a convertible so it has no spare and we have to get towed to a tire shop near the hotel we had reserved. This is now Saturday night around 10 PM, and the firestone shop is one of the few shops AAA can find open on Sundays. The tow truck was nice enough to take us to the hotel and we crash out. The next morning we had to catch a cab (because the hotel shuttle said we were .2 miles outside of their radius) to the Firestone store where the guy told us they could not get a tire for it until Monday, uggh. So I call the people we are purchasing the truck from to let them know and they agree to meet us there, it is about 30 minutes from their home, so we at least have a vehicle. So I finally got my dream car.

I am not normally one for naming vehicles but after all this we are calling her "Murphy" after Murphy law, anything that can happen will happen!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	front90up.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	126.9 KB
ID:	76253   Click image for larger version

Name:	Badgeup.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	76264  

Name:	90rearup.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	107.1 KB
ID:	76265  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 22nd, 2013, 05:04 PM
rusty james
Rob
95 D90 SW

Wow, what a story. Did they catch the guys who took your cash?
Old July 22nd, 2013, 05:12 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Wow congrats. Yeah - 1) That much cash isn't all that smart. 2) the teller should have warned you about taking that much money out, 3) Teller should have given it to you in one of the private offices so that it wasn't obvious, 4) YOU LEFT IT ON THE CAR SEAT?!?!! 5) Glad it all worked out in the end. 6) My dog's name is Murphy, so if they are anything alike, they'll cost way more money than you originally anticpated, and will eat your clothes from time to time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 22nd, 2013, 05:21 PM
lynchee
Dennis Lynch
94 D90 #699

Well, that's a nice truck for $60,000ish. At least it all worked out. Hopefully they can find the scumbags. There must have been cameras in the bank and outside in the lot, right.
Congrats!!!
Old July 22nd, 2013, 06:01 PM
Daddymow
Raub A.
1987 D110 Tithonus

Registry
Congrats on the truck! That really sucks about the money, you got made in the bank and were followed. What a story.
Old July 22nd, 2013, 06:20 PM
javelinadave
-
-

Congrats!

Only guy I know who has been carjacked happened a few miles east of where you live. He stood his ground, put two 9mm rounds in each perp and not only stopped the attack but saved the State of Texas the cost of incarcerating them.
Old July 22nd, 2013, 07:15 PM
Roverenvy
Michael
1994 Defender 90

Registry
That is quite the story, but glad you were able to still make it happen. I'm in Houston, in the Galleria area. We'll have to get together one of these days. I too had been stalking for years, only to finally get my '94 D90 in January. (with less drama I'm happy to say.)
Old July 22nd, 2013, 10:25 PM
NealK
Neal
97 AA Yellow ST, #1905

Registry
lol, it was not on the seat, it was in the console. I will make sure to go cashiers check from now on, expensive lesson. In a couple years it will just be a road bump.

They are looking into the bank footage but have to get the tapes from corporate. Maybe something will come of it.

But man I love this truck!
Old July 23rd, 2013, 11:08 AM
discotdi
Todd Miller
Land Rover

Quote:
Originally Posted by javelinadave View Post
Congrats!

Only guy I know who has been carjacked happened a few miles east of where you live. He stood his ground, put two 9mm rounds in each perp and not only stopped the attack but saved the State of Texas the cost of incarcerating them.
and this is relevant how? just another chance to promote carrying a gun?
I would instead suggest a Man Purse so one can carry the large amount of cash into the store etc. rather than leaving it in the car. Seriously bad luck though.

Glad you were able to get your Defender. Thieves suck!
Old July 23rd, 2013, 11:20 AM
SMac
Sam
NAS 97 D90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by discotdi View Post

I would instead suggest a Man Purse so one can carry the large amount of cash into the store etc. rather than leaving it in the car. Seriously bad luck though.

Yup. If we aren't going to enforce our existing laws, I will continue to pack heat.

To the OP, wow, congrats and sorry!
Old July 23rd, 2013, 12:19 PM
The Dro
Dro
1988 Ninety

Registry
Quote:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old July 23rd, 2013, 12:31 PM
javelinadave
-
-

Quote:

The Houston area has become a Mecca for theft and violent crime post Katrina. It sucks for the OP to have lost his Rover money and yes, if you don't take care of yourself the cops certainly are not going to do it for you. Man purse or Glock 19, it's up to you in Houston and most major metropolitan areas.
Old July 23rd, 2013, 12:53 PM
NealK
Neal
97 AA Yellow ST, #1905

Registry
The officer who came to the scene told me I need to carry. I had been thinking about doing the concealed handgun thing for a while but this seals the deal. My liberal fiancee is now ready to have one in each car and the house! Funny how a circumstance can change your politics.
Old July 23rd, 2013, 12:54 PM
The Dro
Dro
1988 Ninety

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by javelinadave View Post
The Houston area has become a Mecca for theft and violent crime post Katrina. It sucks for the OP to have lost his Rover money and yes, if you don't take care of yourself the cops certainly are not going to do it for you. Man purse or Glock 19, it's up to you in Houston and most major metropolitan areas.
I prefer open carry.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	0.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	22.1 KB
ID:	76334  

Old July 23rd, 2013, 01:19 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by NealK View Post
The officer who came to the scene told me I need to carry. I had been thinking about doing the concealed handgun thing for a while but this seals the deal. My liberal fiancee is now ready to have one in each car and the house! Funny how a circumstance can change your politics.
... the real solution to the problem is cashiers check.
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old July 23rd, 2013, 01:41 PM
SMac
Sam
NAS 97 D90 SW

The real solution is enforcing our current laws and parenting. I should be able to tape $Benjamin's to my body and walk around Houston at night. It is horseshat that we have to watch our backs in our own "free" country or to alter our legal behavior for morons.

I too paid in cash as the PO, from Ecuador, wanted nothing to do with any paper but greenbacks. We can Monday Morning QB this all day but each transaction is at the mercy of the PO.

Good for you, OP. Welcome to carry.
Old July 23rd, 2013, 02:00 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMac View Post
I should be able to tape $Benjamin's to my body and walk around Houston at night.
So, color me cynical, but somehow I don't think that's realistic.

Old July 23rd, 2013, 02:06 PM
Gunmaker
Michael Ullman
1995 D90 SW #270

Registry
Quote:
I would instead suggest a Man Purse ............

I agree with the man purse, I carry one, and it is a great place to keep a .357.

Congrats on the truck and sounds like the beginning of a long love - hate relationship that most of us have with our trucks.
Old July 23rd, 2013, 02:10 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Sad to hear about the money theft but really glad to hear about the new 90. This site has taught me a bunch about these vehicles over the years.

We need to bring shows back like the Brady Bunch. There was one episode where Bobby found a couple grand and they tracked down the guy that lost it. And didn't accept the reward money.

The problem is no one gets their ass whooped for doing wrong these days. You should be able to have a stack of bills on the front seat of your car and only have to worry about it blowing away.
Old July 23rd, 2013, 02:12 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
I think i would have taken the opportunity to get it in 5's, and load it up in a Halliburton breifcase.

But in all seriousness, if the guy is leary of a cashieers check (understandable), then do the deal at the bank.

-Jeff

Agree 100%.

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags