Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old March 3rd, 2010, 12:07 PM
aosias
Alexandra
1995 D90

Registry
Toylander

I purchased the Toylander plans and was wondering if anyone has built one of these. I am planning on doing it in stages since it is a chunk of money to drop all at once. So far it seems fairly straight forward and the book is well laid out.

Thanks,
Alex
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 3rd, 2010, 12:09 PM
FlaD90
Tom
1994 ST D90
D-90 Source Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by aosias View Post
I purchased the Toylander plans and was wondering if anyone has built one of these. I am planning on doing it in stages since it is a chunk of money to drop all at once. So far it seems fairly straight forward and the book is well laid out.

Thanks,
Alex
Please keep us posted on your experience.
Old March 3rd, 2010, 12:40 PM
aosias
Alexandra
1995 D90

Registry
Will do.

Richard (the owner) offered to have the plans emailed to a shop for the panels to be cut and I might do that, I have the templates for them but I think it might be safer and easier if I have someone else do that part.

The rest if it looks to be glue and screw assembly. Should be interesting considering I have no real model or wood working experience.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 3rd, 2010, 01:07 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
My dad has been working on one for a while now, and the plans are a rough guide at best. Complete layout diagrams are there for all the wood parts, but much regarding the specs of the motors etc are left to your imagination. There are also pictures of numerous upgrades or alternative features which are not detailed in the meager text. Sometimes it is confusing because the plans don't describe construction of what is pictured.

Also, when we first ordered these plans, the drawings were in inches. It took a while to get organized and start working on the project and then we realized some pages were missing. IIRC, Toylander didn't admit any mistake and charged us again for the plans. Typical British customer service. In the mean time, the changed all the plans to metric and we basically had to start over.

The plans are probably a good basis for a project, but you are going to be figuring out a whole lot by yourself. There is a forum out there and that's kinda helpful. This is definitely a project you do a lot of homework on before starting.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old March 3rd, 2010, 01:26 PM
aosias
Alexandra
1995 D90

Registry
JimC any way you can talk you dad into making it with a video camera?? I'll send him a helmet camera.

I am leaning towards having them send the plans to a shop to cut the panels and making it a bit easier that way. Did you opt to source everything locally? Debating if it is worth the money to have them send me the kit to assemble.

I agree on the extra info, pretty generic of a manual. Almost would be better to do a few manuals based on what you order but I'm sure that's more work than it is worth to them. They have everyting in inches now so that seems to help.
Old March 3rd, 2010, 08:43 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Now its inches? The original plans were in inches, and the second set they sent was metric. I'm confused.

You can send a helmet cam, but it will record a whole lot of nothing while my dad does other stuff...

Old March 3rd, 2010, 10:15 PM
aosias
Alexandra
1995 D90

Registry
Book is both, templates aren't marked except for dill holes and they are in mm. I think they are using both. I didn't really unfold the templates though. Large sheets of paper aren't safe in a house with a toddler.

Do you really only need two sheets of 8'x4'x1/2" MDF? for the 6 pages of templates?

Did ya'll just order the plans and the book or some of the other parts? Trying to completely understand the different kit options for my future planning and I struggle with British customer service.

Alex
Old March 20th, 2010, 12:18 PM
aosias
Alexandra
1995 D90

Registry
I thinkI have this figured out a bit. But I am going to use a cabinet shop to do the panels. I think that may be a bit more accurate than I am with the saw.

I was wondering how I could fit a VDO speedo on this. I thought that would look really cool.
Old April 13th, 2010, 02:54 PM
aosias
Alexandra
1995 D90

Registry
It's starting...

I picked up the panels this AM from the cabinet maker I had cut them out. With my non-existent wood working experience and lack of mechanical genius I need all the help I can get. Anyway, here are the photos of the start of the project- panels at home and somewhat sorted. A little public accountability never hurt anyone!

We did go with metric CAD measurements and there were a few issues with cutting depth and some extra lines that the plans were calling for that didn't seem to make sense. Machine also had a hard time with the smaller pieces but it all seems to look good.

We (cabinet maker and I) assumed the extra lines would be addressed as the truck was assembled. Looks like the one I see offhand is that there is an extra line in the part of the bulkhead with the vent decoration- the panel is scored to look like the vents. They don't open so it'll be just like an NAS 110! I'll either have the piece re-cut or fill the mistake with wood filler.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TCO_041210_808.jpg
Views:	769
Size:	65.3 KB
ID:	26588   Click image for larger version

Name:	TCO_041210_810.jpg
Views:	295
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	26589  

Name:	TCO_041210_811.jpg
Views:	316
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	26590  
Old April 13th, 2010, 03:10 PM
phoenix37
john
97 D90 ST / 1957 S1 109/ 1983 LS110

Registry
Wow cool! Brian and Barry both drive these so Im sure they would be willing to help you with pics and information
Old April 13th, 2010, 04:58 PM
specops1526
Brian
Beluga '97 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix37 View Post
Wow cool! Brian and Barry both drive these so Im sure they would be willing to help you with pics and information
True, Barry and I can help you with the Land Rover version but if it's a Jeep you want, John is the authority on those.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Power+Wheels+Barbie+Jammin+Jeep+Electric+Ride+On+Toy.jpg
Views:	1684
Size:	42.0 KB
ID:	26591   Click image for larger version

Name:	john.jpg
Views:	268
Size:	69.1 KB
ID:	26592  

-->
Beluga 97 D-90
Chawton 04 DII SE
Tangiers 04 DII G4
Old April 13th, 2010, 05:15 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

I am actually planning to build one also. I can't decide if I want to go the pure route and make it look like a traditional series 1 or I want to make it look like a wrangler on steroids. John, any ideas?
Old April 13th, 2010, 07:02 PM
phoenix37
john
97 D90 ST / 1957 S1 109/ 1983 LS110

Registry
wait isnt this you guys at our last happy hour? Sorry to hijack Alexandra.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	toylander.jpg
Views:	5038
Size:	65.7 KB
ID:	26595  
Old April 13th, 2010, 07:44 PM
Rugbier
Gustavo
110 Tdi - 110 N/A - D3 HSE - RRS SC

Registry
Alex,

I am sure in the following site there are plenty of people that might be able to assist

http://www.toylanderownersclub.com/
Old April 13th, 2010, 07:44 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

funny both of those trucks are more identifiable as land rovers than your jeep. I also have pics from our last happy hour
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1991-Jeep-Renegade-YJ-BIG.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	113.2 KB
ID:	26601  
Old April 13th, 2010, 10:02 PM
aosias
Alexandra
1995 D90

Registry
Ha! Ya'll are just jealous my kid's Rover is gonna be cooler than yours!

Here's the progress from this afternoon. There is a lack of clarity in the directions so some trial and error but otherwise it's not to bad.

Thanks Gustavo for the link, I've been a stalker on that forum for a while. I have a hard time with the Queen's English so have been looking for some US support. Richard, the owner of the company, is fantastic for support too.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	TCO_041210_812.jpg
Views:	276
Size:	61.3 KB
ID:	26608   Click image for larger version

Name:	TCO_041210_813.jpg
Views:	407
Size:	44.0 KB
ID:	26609  

Old April 13th, 2010, 11:00 PM
KKilo23
Kenny
NAS SW l NAS ST l 110 SW | 110 Crew

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by aosias View Post
Ha! Ya'll are just jealous my kid's Rover is gonna be cooler than yours!

Here's the progress from this afternoon. There is a lack of clarity in the directions so some trial and error but otherwise it's not to bad.

Thanks Gustavo for the link, I've been a stalker on that forum for a while. I have a hard time with the Queen's English so have been looking for some US support. Richard, the owner of the company, is fantastic for support too.
So cool.
Old April 13th, 2010, 11:25 PM
huck1974
shane cates
94 d90

Quote:
Originally Posted by KKilo23 View Post
So cool.

I guess if you guys have several of these needed, I'll cut all your stuff at cost and send it out. I have a 20,000 sq. ft. CnC setup cabinet shop. I could order material in bulk to get the cost down if there are a few people interested. You will owe me beer
And I love you too
Old April 13th, 2010, 11:32 PM
aosias
Alexandra
1995 D90

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by huck1974 View Post
I guess if you guys have several of these needed, I'll cut all your stuff at cost and send it out. I have a 20,000 sq. ft. CnC setup cabinet shop. I could order material in bulk to get the cost down if there are a few people interested. You will owe me beer

Where the hell were you months ago!!!! Shipping might be a bit high- 3 sheets of MDF and the length of the base piece would make for a large box.

Now if only you wanted to make Defender bonnets to replace the Series bonnets...
Old April 13th, 2010, 11:45 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Huck I want one

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat