Wow $34k for an LR3!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 14th, 2015, 08:28 PM
bossman429
Adrian
1988 90

Registry
You have a 3500lb boat. What do you need to tow 10k for?

People always over do with the tow vehicles. They think they need a f350 to tow a single axle trailer

1/2 ton or even a Tacoma would be fine. Or any thing you can put a trailer hitch on for that matter. You can tow 3500lbs with a crown Vic I think.

I tow 6000lb with my Tacoma at times and it's fine. Sure it kicks down a gear going up hills and good trailer brakes are a must but it gets the job done just fine.
Old June 14th, 2015, 08:45 PM
WeBeCinYa
WeBeCinYa
94 ST #84

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by bossman429 View Post

People always over do with the tow vehicles. They think they need a f350 to tow a single axle trailer

1/2 ton or even a Tacoma would be fine. Or any thing you can put a trailer hitch on for that matter. You can tow 3500lbs with a crown Vic I think.

I tow 6000lb with my Tacoma at times and it's fine. Sure it kicks down a gear going up hills and good trailer brakes are a must but it gets the job done just fine.
Lol

And on that LR3, how the hell does someone in the rear see the right brake light? That rear tire looks good and all but I'll be damn if I'll have one less light for that 16 y/o texting while riding my ass to see.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 14th, 2015, 08:56 PM
Jonesy
Craig
87 D110 (Ruby)

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overlander View Post
Dendy's sweet LR3 is up for sale. He yanked a Conqueror commander all over the Appalachian's with it and that's a heavy beetotch

2009 Land Rover LR3 HD- Built - Expedition Portal
WOW....that is a huge premium for all those add ons to a 2009 LR3. I trust someone will pay him that...not me.
Old June 14th, 2015, 09:13 PM
Jonesy
Craig
87 D110 (Ruby)

Registry
Quote:
Because I ALWAYS overdo things

Really....because if I did want to tow more (like a truck) at any time in the future I would hate to be wanting a bigger truck....so that is why I say 10k or thereabouts
Old June 14th, 2015, 09:20 PM
bossman429
Adrian
1988 90

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesy View Post
Because I ALWAYS overdo things Really....because if I did want to tow more (like a truck) at any time in the future I would hate to be wanting a bigger truck....so that is why I say 10k or thereabouts
Ok but my point is any SUV (not cross over) or truck you can buy now (including frontiers,Tacoma, Colorado) can tow 6000lbs. You certainly don't need a 3/4 or 1 ton diesel. And any land rover weighs less than 6000lbs so your good to go.
Old June 14th, 2015, 09:22 PM
jafir
Jafir Elkurd
Flaky Green 198something ex-mod 90

Registry
Quote:
And any land rover weighs less than 6000lbs so your good to go.
An LR3 weighs 5400 lbs. That doesn't leave much room for a trailer to tow it with.
Old June 14th, 2015, 09:49 PM
bossman429
Adrian
1988 90

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by jafir View Post
An LR3 weighs 5400 lbs. That doesn't leave much room for a trailer to tow it with.
I think he means the 110. Which on a trailer is below 6k
Old June 14th, 2015, 10:05 PM
Contractor
Will
1969 IIA

If you really think you need to tow 10,000 pounds, you are going to be very unhappy with anything other than a diesel.

Anything newer is going to surprise you…….I have a 07' Cummins and my wife drives it all the time. It's a big truck, but is not horribly loud or smokey, rides well and has nice creature comforts.

If the only thing I had to pull was 3500 pounds and the occasional heaver tow, then any half ton truck would suit. If I had 50K and wanted to blow it on a diesel, I'd by a Dodge diesel. You should be able to get just about any model within that price range (mostly used…..new if you really shop).
Old June 14th, 2015, 10:20 PM
down_shift
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3

Registry
Just for the datapoint, I have a 01' E-350 w/ the V-10 and tow package. Can load the inside with ~1000 lbs of tools/spares and haul a 20' enclosed trailer (3500 axles) and 2300 lb car and another ~500lbs of crap inside and the van doesn't even know it's loaded or the trailer is back there. It rides smoother actually. The dismal 10 mph is the reminder.
Old June 14th, 2015, 11:32 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Why you would need to tow 10k is beyond me. Any decent SUV or truck will tow 3500lbs easily.
Old June 14th, 2015, 11:45 PM
Holiday
Ross Simpson
1995 D90 ST/2006 D3 HSE7

Registry
Craig,

2015 Silverado/Sierra w/6.2L- pick your flavor. C7 Corvette internals (it's built), 21mpg hwy (w/cylinder deactivation), 8L90 8-speed trans, 420hp/460ft-lbs, and w/HD Max Tow Package- 12,000lbs towing capacity (9.76in rear axle).

Read a few comparisons and you'll see there's a consensus that the Silverado/Sierra has better handling, feedback, and is more engaging to drive than the rest in it's class. They also offer a standard bed with crew cab (rare, and my preference). GM's being overshadowed by the F-150's radical technology, but in my opinion- they're a better truck on paper and from behind the wheel. I've been in the same boat as you, but can't justify the initial purchase premium of the diesel, and have no interest in the DEF/DPF/Injector expenses down the road. I love diesels, but the V8 will ride better, drive smoother, and have a lower cost of ownership. If you don't tow heavy loads most days of the week, it's just not worth it. My two cents...
Old June 15th, 2015, 05:26 AM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMWTP View Post
Open trailer? My enclosed gets 10 mpg hwy whether I'm loaded or not. I'm thinking it's aero more than weight.
What I call the parachute parasitic drag syndrome.

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old June 15th, 2015, 09:41 AM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
3/4 ton suburban. I really think Scott Wolds burban is an awesome tow truck plenty of room for rug rats and gear. a v8 will always be cheaper than a modern diesel, the new emissions equipment is bound to be a huge long term expense. ive been considering the new sportwagen diesel, I was easily convinced it was a bad idea.
Old June 15th, 2015, 11:01 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMWTP View Post
Open trailer? My enclosed gets 10 mpg hwy whether I'm loaded or not. I'm thinking it's aero more than weight.
Yes trailer weighs 2465ew. Truck is a crew cab, long bed, 4x4 super duty with the 7.3. I have had an issue with it not up-shifting into overdrive from time to time. When that happens it gets 10-12.
Truck weighs 8k or so, so just the empty rig is pushing 11k rolling mass.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old June 15th, 2015, 12:29 PM
flippedrover
Tyler
'94 D-90

How about one of these? http://www.carsguide.com.au/car-news...3#.VX79L3D3aK0
and you're the only bait in town.
You got fins to the left, fins to the right,
and you're the only girl in town.

Jimmy Buffett

Old June 15th, 2015, 03:39 PM
Jonesy
Craig
87 D110 (Ruby)

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holiday View Post
Craig,

2015 Silverado/Sierra w/6.2L- pick your flavor. C7 Corvette internals (it's built), 21mpg hwy (w/cylinder deactivation), 8L90 8-speed trans, 420hp/460ft-lbs, and w/HD Max Tow Package- 12,000lbs towing capacity (9.76in rear axle).

Read a few comparisons and you'll see there's a consensus that the Silverado/Sierra has better handling, feedback, and is more engaging to drive than the rest in it's class. They also offer a standard bed with crew cab (rare, and my preference). GM's being overshadowed by the F-150's radical technology, but in my opinion- they're a better truck on paper and from behind the wheel. I've been in the same boat as you, but can't justify the initial purchase premium of the diesel, and have no interest in the DEF/DPF/Injector expenses down the road. I love diesels, but the V8 will ride better, drive smoother, and have a lower cost of ownership. If you don't tow heavy loads most days of the week, it's just not worth it. My two cents...

Ross - I went and test drove one...VERY. VERY nice. AND I can buy brand new in budget! May have a winner winner here. Thanks pal.
Old June 15th, 2015, 05:15 PM
Contractor
Will
1969 IIA

Quote:
21mpg hwy (w/cylinder deactivation)

Quote:
Ross - I went and test drove one...VERY. VERY nice. AND I can buy brand new in budget! May have a winner winner here. Thanks pal.

This is AFM.

I don't have a Chevy, but am friends with a wrench here in town and he swears AFM is the devil.

I think it kills oil pressure to the cylinder and collapses the lifter to stop the cylinder from firing. These pictures are out of a 110K mile truck, supposedly you can delete it........but damn, should you have to?

Anyway, you can make your own decision but I would at least do some research first.

Here is a new cam for comparison:

Old June 15th, 2015, 05:18 PM
Jonesy
Craig
87 D110 (Ruby)

Registry
Cheers Will - the one I am looking at has the 6.2l engine, and I don't believe they have AFM
Old June 15th, 2015, 05:27 PM
Contractor
Will
1969 IIA

Quote:
Cheers Will - the one I am looking at has the 6.2l engine, and I don't believe they have AFM

10-4, that is good.........I saw your post and at least wanted to mention it.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
wing