Tow Rig survey - sort of.... - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old December 31st, 2003, 01:51 PM
Tawayama
Michael Slade
No Land Rovers

I didn't keep track of the mileage. Too depressing.

Yes, it was on purpose. I believe I *may* have blown a head gasket.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 3rd, 2004, 07:59 PM
TwisteD90
Yousef Hamzeh
06 RR SC, 06 LR3, 94 D90

Troy, I just found this magazine which has a comparison test for all three trucks. (August 03 Four Wheeler magazine)

Here is the result.

Third place- Dodge Ram 2500
Check it out if:
A Cummins diesel with 555 lb-ft of torque is too hard to resist
Avoid it if:
Having a tow/haul mode is important to you.

Second Place- GMC Sierra 2500 HD
Check it out if:
You are looking for a refined car like truck.
Avoid it if:
You mind your friends asking if it is two or four wheel drive.

First Place- Ford super duty F-250.
Check it out if:
You are looking for a beast that can tow and haul better than the rest.
Avoid it if:
You are looking for refinement.

If you want to read the whole thing I can drop the mag. at Keith's house next week.
Old January 3rd, 2004, 10:27 PM
tbmcneill

Thanks. Interesting stuff. Was the Dodge they tested the regular diesel or the High Output? I'm going to try to find the article.

That new Dodge diesel you mentioned is supposed to be at dealers by the end of the month.... &, supposedly, has a good bit more torque and HP than the current H.O. according the local Dodge "truck guy" ... which is already at 555 lb/ft and 305 bhp. I haven't been able to find hard figures for the new motor, however. Ford is 560 lb/ft & 325 bhp for comparison. Gas mileage is supposed to drop a good bit on the new Dodge, though.

I got a couple of good things brewing, but nothing signed yet. I'm still interested in the Ford, but I don't know that I like it enough to pay the extra $4k for more rear seat space, marginally more power & less equipment. I've definately axed the chevy/GMC.

tired of researching..... may be time to just jump.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 3rd, 2004, 11:06 PM
TwisteD90
Yousef Hamzeh
06 RR SC, 06 LR3, 94 D90

It's the HO with 305 hp and 555 torque.

Enough searching and go get your Dodge
Old January 4th, 2004, 12:18 PM
tbmcneill

FWIW ... the new dodge engine is a cummins, not a mercedes & is rated at 325 HP & 600 lb/ft of torque .... & is 50 state legal.
T
Old January 4th, 2004, 01:07 PM
TwisteD90
Yousef Hamzeh
06 RR SC, 06 LR3, 94 D90

I never said the 04 will have the Mercedes engine but I've heard it's coming.

You can easy have a 450+ hp and 800+ torque in the new dodge
Old January 4th, 2004, 08:09 PM
tbmcneill

sorry, i misunderstood.

a friend sent me a good article on the new Cummins '600'. let me know if you're interested & i'll kick it over to you. bottom line .... those trucks are SWEET! outpulled and out-payloaded both the chevy and ford .... & that '50-state legal' is without EGR.
T
Old January 4th, 2004, 10:51 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
are those numbers in real world conditions? i think most is from the flywheel but not wheels. but i guess still a good way to interpret but somewhat deceiving. I have always wonder if thier toruque numbers were in low range?
Old January 4th, 2004, 11:37 PM
tbmcneill

you won't find anyone quoting torque figures at the axle or wheel. they'll be solely off a dyno, which is actually better for general comparisons. Things like gearing and vehicle weight will affect the real world performance.

that said, here's how they did the 'real world' test:

Quote:
In the solo mode, a Ram equipped with an automatic transmission (48RE) was loaded with 5500 pounds of payload and an extra passenger. The Ford and Chevrolet pickups were also automatics and were loaded with 5000 pounds each. In the towing comparison, each truck had a Bobcat loader on a gooseneck trailer hitched to it. The trailers were 13,000 pounds each. Each truck was the extended cab version and was equipped with the six-speed transmission and 3.73 gearing. The Dodge was equipped with the new 2004.5 emissions legal engine, while the other two were off-the-showroom 2004 models........For common comparison, each truck was an extended cab, dually, long bed with six-speed manual transmission and 3.73 axle ratio. The three trailers were identical, each with a Bobcat loader chained down to it. Each truck had a properly functioning electric trailer brake controller. All three trucks were near new. The Dodge/Cummins and the Ford PowerStroke met 2004.5 emission specs while the Chevrolet Duramax will need a catalytic converter to met the January 2004 EPA emissions specifications. The Ram and its competitors were driven over the same course, downhill and up again, through turns and stops, and through a radar speed trap to show us the maximum speed that the vehicle and trailer could achieve on a fairly steep hill. Part of the test was a standing start test in low and in second gear, uphill on a moderate grade.
The Dodge 600 swept everything with Ford having an 'ok' showing. The Chevy wasn't even close.
T
Old January 5th, 2004, 08:35 PM
ronward
Redsrover
None - sadly

FWIW... I have the 2002 F250 7.3 stroke 4x4 super crew short box with 4" procomp lift on BFG AT 35's. Love it. Some asshole decided he did too last Sunday night and crowbar'd his way into the back seat through the rear sliding glass window. I was up getting a glass of water and saw the rear passenger door open and the light come on and the alarm go off. By the time I had the .45 out of the closet he was half-way down the street. I ran out into the street the weapon drawn and caught enough of a glimpse to make a reasonable report to the police who showed up following my loud cursing of this guy and his family.

He stole nothing, but cost me $346 today to replace the window. Patrol officer came by tonight and said they nailed the guy early in the week while I was out of town. Got him on my vandalism as well as a number of other thefts in the neighborhood. Sorry punk told the police he was trying to find money to pay for his school books. Right. What did Vincent Vega say in Pulp Fiction? "You never fuck with another man's vehicle."

But anyway, get the stroke, you'll love it...
Old January 5th, 2004, 09:10 PM
PT94D90
Phil
Currently Defenderless

Sorry to hear about that damage Ron. Sounds like you really could have used my security system (page 1 of this thread). Imagine the fun of watching that thief get chased down and chewed on a bit.

PT
Old January 6th, 2004, 09:32 AM
ronward
Redsrover
None - sadly

Yup. A friend suggested I put a dog box in the bed of the truck, empty with the door open. The threat of some blood thirsty savage roaming around ready to return to his box at any moment might keep a would-be thief away.

Don't have a dog since my 12 year old golden died in Oct 2002...
Old January 6th, 2004, 12:16 PM
PT94D90
Phil
Currently Defenderless

It's unfortunate that there are so many that have no respect for another's property. The trucks we are talking about in this thread are expensive and nobody wants their windows busted out and property stolen. Or worse, a gun stuck in their ear at a red light and their truck jacked. When I do a demonstration for a civic group or a potential client, I put a $100 bill on the center console with the windows down and my dog in the back of the cab, then proclaim that anyone that can get the bill can keep it. It dramatically makes the point that if there is a dog visible a criminal will just move on. And if they don't see the dog and come into the truck, then they deserve to have their forearm broken and shredded. At a truck stop a couple of years ago, I was inside paying while my girlriend was in the truck. A biker approached the truck trying to hit on my g/f and when he got close, my dog came flying from the back. This huge biker was so startled, he jumped back, tripped over a curb and fell backwards over a hedge. He was so embarrassed he just jumped on his bike and left as fast as he could. You can't put a price on peace of mind for the safety of loved ones (and $45,000 trucks).
Old January 6th, 2004, 12:20 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
what kinda dog do you have?
Old January 6th, 2004, 12:38 PM
PT94D90
Phil
Currently Defenderless

My two personal dogs at the moment are Belgian Malinois. I use Malinois or German Shepherds for police/protection. Sometimes an agency will want a "non-aggressive-looking" dog that they can take to schools for dare programs, etc., so I have also used Labs for narcotics detection dogs. There are about a half dozen breeds that can be trained for protection work. Rots, Bouvier, Giant Schnauzer, Doberman, Dutch Shepherd, etc.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dsc00010.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	169.8 KB
ID:	231  
Old January 6th, 2004, 02:26 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Hey you should contribute to the thread on the pirate4x4 site under the stolen rigs section, they are trying to come up with a good security system and I see this as a VERY good way to protect your ride.
Old January 6th, 2004, 02:43 PM
TwisteD90
Yousef Hamzeh
06 RR SC, 06 LR3, 94 D90

Phil, the dog looks quit

So that the one you were telling about.
Old January 6th, 2004, 06:18 PM
PT94D90
Phil
Currently Defenderless

Mike - Thanks for the tip, I'll check out the pirate4x4 board.

Yousef - Yes, that is the breed I was telling you about. If you'd like to see more photos just e-mail me and I'll send some.

PT
Old January 7th, 2004, 11:38 AM
TwisteD90
Yousef Hamzeh
06 RR SC, 06 LR3, 94 D90

Yes please so the kids can see it

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat