Toughest trail fix - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old April 20th, 2015, 11:11 AM
down_shift
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3

Registry
Underdesigned? The engineer responsible for that t/c would point to additional torque the ultra low gearing, lockers, and oversized MTs are putting through that $100 pin. What, 2x beyond the t/c's design assumptions? We need our local Ed to figure out the number.
Regardless, it sure looks fun. Kudos.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 20th, 2015, 11:19 AM
crown14
Verticalscrote
Volkswagen Super Beetle
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Im with Greenspan. All 4 engine mounts- I replaced mine though. I would have rather swapped out the tcase for sure.
Old April 20th, 2015, 03:45 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by down_shift View Post
Underdesigned? The engineer responsible for that t/c would point to additional torque the ultra low gearing, lockers, and oversized MTs are putting through that $100 pin. What, 2x beyond the t/c's design assumptions? We need our local Ed to figure out the number.
Regardless, it sure looks fun. Kudos.
Well yes...and no. Honestly the obstacle was not that hard, and I certainly wasn't "hammering" on it. I'm slow-and-steady, Huff is the lead foot of the trio . That's why were were all so baffled...it just sort of "stopped". But in reality, the cogs in the tcase should be handling the stress....NOT some stupid 2-piece pin. My thought is Ashcroft redesigned an upgraded replacement for a reason - yet another part that Rover missed the mark on.

But I get it, not everyone out there is overstressing the driveline to this extent. I'm also sure this failure was probably an accumulation of stress over time...it was probably stress cracked and just picked this point to give it up to the ghost.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 20th, 2015, 03:57 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
wait, where were you guys wheeling such that you guys drove to Springfield to pick up an extra t-case and then back, then swapped the t-case on the trail?? Gore to Springfield is a trek!

I mean, there's extreme trail fixes, and then there's a four-hour parts run + extreme trail fixes
Old April 20th, 2015, 04:44 PM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
Jason, were you open when this happened?

Old April 20th, 2015, 06:20 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoronos View Post
wait, where were you guys wheeling such that you guys drove to Springfield to pick up an extra t-case and then back, then swapped the t-case on the trail?? Gore to Springfield is a trek!

I mean, there's extreme trail fixes, and then there's a four-hour parts run + extreme trail fixes
It was Gore to Springfield...trust me! That's why I got back at 2am!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1of40 View Post
Jason, were you open when this happened?
I was in difflock on the first obstacle (I use this term loosely) on Trickle. I actually *believe* I had my rear lockers on as well (if I recall). Though...it later was determined that the relay for my ARB was acting up, so it's hard to say for sure if the rear lockers were functioning 100%. But definitely in difflock (never not in difflock when on the trails).
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

Old April 20th, 2015, 08:02 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Like Jason said it could hardly be called an obstacle and he wasn't banging on it. It must have been stressed before and that was the last straw.
Quote:
Originally Posted by crown14 View Post
Im with Greenspan. All 4 engine mounts- I replaced mine though. I would have rather swapped out the tcase for sure.
BTDT, in fact it was at last last conclave. I got a lot of help, but I still think swapping a t-case is harder!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoronos View Post
Stupid is as stupid does
Old April 20th, 2015, 08:58 PM
Jonesy
Craig
87 D110 (Ruby)

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanwind View Post
It was Gore to Springfield...trust me! That's why I got back at 2am!

I was in difflock on the first obstacle (I use this term loosely) on Trickle.
WAIT....You were locked on Trickle??????? WTF!

Bill Adams did that in his newly minted 109....really....locked?

DISSAPOINTED!!!!!!
Old April 20th, 2015, 09:18 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
That cross pin is the piece Buck was having issues with right? Think there was a thread about it on here and Pirate IIRC.
Old April 20th, 2015, 09:28 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesy View Post
WAIT....You were locked on Trickle??????? WTF!

Bill Adams did that in his newly minted 109....really....locked?

DISSAPOINTED!!!!!!
Easy Hercules . It's that big first obstacle that you (and just about everyone usually does) take the bypass on!
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

Old April 20th, 2015, 11:42 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
i am still shocked that you broke the cross pin while in diff lock. that takes the ability to destroy your truck to a different level! you guys definitely deserve an award for trail fix of the year.

actually...on second glance...how is it technically possible for an lt230 to shear just the crosspin while in diff lock? doesn't the splined front output shaft have to fail first?
Old April 21st, 2015, 04:46 AM
Dogpilot
James Wallace
Defender 90 1997 NAS ST

Registry
Most of my Land Rover field repairs where easy. The worst I had was take off the head of the f'ing 4x4 Toyota POS truck in the jungle in Borneo, walk to the nearest logging road, wait for a passing logging truck, get a ride back to Lawas to get the head repaired, repeat in reverse and put the head back on. All while enjoying feeding all the insects for miles around and getting bloody leaches on my legs to boot. This was the easy part, then I had to take a wing off a Twin Otter using Bamboo for scaffolding in this itty bitty jungle strip in Bakaalan further up in the mountains.

Taking off the wing:

Loading it on the now repaired truck to take down the mountain, 8 hours of unbelievably shitty jungle track:

Old April 21st, 2015, 07:07 AM
Brewie212
Brian Kandefer
1957 107 wagon, 94 arles St, 101 FC

Ok, I think he wins....
Old April 21st, 2015, 07:22 AM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

James doesn't win...being under "live fire" would seal it...it's just another day for James...
Old April 21st, 2015, 07:36 AM
Jonesy
Craig
87 D110 (Ruby)

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanwind View Post
Easy Hercules . It's that big first obstacle that you (and just about everyone usually does) take the bypass on!
OH that one - the one that me, Kent and everyone did at Conclave
Old April 21st, 2015, 07:39 AM
Brewie212
Brian Kandefer
1957 107 wagon, 94 arles St, 101 FC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Larson View Post
James doesn't win...being under "live fire" would seal it...it's just another day for James...
He replaced a wing of a plane using sticks....
Old April 21st, 2015, 07:48 AM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewie212 View Post
He replaced a wing of a plane using sticks....
Yes, but James doesn't always drink beer...but when he does...
Old April 21st, 2015, 08:24 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Who takes a wing into town to be repaired in Borneo ? I'd like to watch that repair.....

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Old April 21st, 2015, 11:32 AM
LuisC
Luis Constantin
98 Disvovery 1 LE

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Douglas View Post
Who takes a wing into town to be repaired in Borneo ? I'd like to watch that repair.....
Worse yet who wants to fly on an airplane with a wing that has been repaired in a third world country?
Old April 21st, 2015, 11:34 AM
Dogpilot
James Wallace
Defender 90 1997 NAS ST

Registry
Oh no, not repair in Borneo, can be done, but really slowly. It went in a container back to the US, naturally a 45' container, not a 40'. That would have been too easy. So I had to order that container special and it was late in arriving:

BTW, that isn't mud, it is chicken guts and diesel fuel, mixed with, I don't want to know. I got covered with that shit when the forklift got stuck it in and the spinning wheels liberally coated me the crap. I realized those clothes could never be clean, burn them.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat