tough mudder anyone? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old October 21st, 2011, 07:59 PM
killahaas
Dylan Haas
none for now!

tough mudder anyone?

hey guys any other fellow D-90 members going to tough mudder? i signed up for april 28th in PA. anyone else looking to attend?
http://toughmudder.com/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 21st, 2011, 10:16 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
I did it this year. Not sure about next year.
Old October 22nd, 2011, 12:25 AM
jefhuf
Jeff Huff
'94 D90 ST #655
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I am thinking about it doing it in Wintergreen, VA next October...looks like a good time. I did the Warrior Dash this year
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 22nd, 2011, 08:47 AM
killahaas
Dylan Haas
none for now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post
I did it this year. Not sure about next year.
how bad was it? i heard it was just very exhausting. nothing to crazy?
Old October 23rd, 2011, 07:48 AM
steinhnj
Neil Steinhagen
1990 Perentie GS

I just completed the Providence GORUCK Challenge. 18 hours and 25 miles. Longest GORUCK Challenge yet. It was something I'll never forget.
Old October 23rd, 2011, 08:12 AM
jefhuf
Jeff Huff
'94 D90 ST #655
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Neil, that looks intense and way beyond my ambition level!
Old October 23rd, 2011, 09:18 AM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by killahaas

how bad was it? i heard it was just very exhausting. nothing to crazy?
It was supposed to be like 6 miles, then they said they were going to draw it to 8, then they drew it out, and said it was "about 10", then we got there and it was really 13...so, I wasn't really prepared for that. I'm not much of a runner, but it was still fun doing the trail runs. The challenges were well spaced, if not a little too spaced out. Many of them were not difficult, and some weren't difficult, they were just painful for no good reason (one challenge comes to mind when we crawled through pipes filled with mud, water, gravel, glass, etc) and just sucked, but we're memorable. Haha.
Another challenge that didn't really suck (but made everything else suck afterward) was swallowing a hot orange pepper before a challenge...hiccuped for like an hour after that. And the whole jumping into a 40 degree pond thing stunk, too. Haha.
Old October 23rd, 2011, 09:46 AM
killahaas
Dylan Haas
none for now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post
It was supposed to be like 6 miles, then they said they were going to draw it to 8, then they drew it out, and said it was "about 10", then we got there and it was really 13...so, I wasn't really prepared for that. I'm not much of a runner, but it was still fun doing the trail runs. The challenges were well spaced, if not a little too spaced out. Many of them were not difficult, and some weren't difficult, they were just painful for no good reason (one challenge comes to mind when we crawled through pipes filled with mud, water, gravel, glass, etc) and just sucked, but we're memorable. Haha.
Another challenge that didn't really suck (but made everything else suck afterward) was swallowing a hot orange pepper before a challenge...hiccuped for like an hour after that. And the whole jumping into a 40 degree pond thing stunk, too. Haha.
haha there is no way in hell i can eat that pepper. hot foods dont agree with me at all!
Old October 23rd, 2011, 01:51 PM
NoVaKevin
Kevin
sold#1469

I did the Tough Mudder yesterday at Wintergreen. It was about 9.5 miles- up and down ski slopes. The march of death was just that...probably a .6-mile to 1mile climb up a 45degree ski slope. It doesnt sounds like much, but the obstacles and hills prior to that one did not make it any easier.

If you are not an athletic build...I would say save your money. A buddy who is like 6ft4in and 250lbs walked the entire thing and it took him like 5hrs. His body type doesnt hold up well going up and down 45degree ski slopes and pulling yourself over 12 foot walls. Ive been an athlete my entire life, so it really wasnt hard for me. Other than running and lifting, you cant prepare for the hills. No stair climber can compare to the elevation changes and slope of the terrain.

Youre going to get wet and muddy no matter what. It only a matter of when. Run down hills to make up time. Walk up hills. Teamwork is the name of the game. Everyone is out there to have fun. Overall a good, fun experience.

I would prefer the ability to run more versus consistently walking up hills just to do an obstacle. The obstacles were fun, a few were challenging, especially towards the end when you have spent most of your energy.

Memorable obstacles:
Monkey bars over water. I made it across unscathed, but most were wet. Made for a good laugh.
Twinkle toes. The beam isnt solid, so it moves. The slower you go, the more likely you fall in the water due to beam moving. I ran across it, but if I had to take another step I would have busted my ass.
Ice bath- nasty and cold, especially when you have to go under to get to the other side.
Everest wall climb- saw a guy faceplant into the half pipe and loose a few teeth. Get your speed up and get over.
Death March-looking up 45 degree hill, turning a corner and thinking youre done, and then having to go up another 45 degree slope is hell

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
mud