Topgear - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old June 1st, 2016, 09:18 PM
1988 D90 RHD 19J
1.5 hours of my life (well a tad less since I DVR'd it) that I will never get back....the best part was was just soooo forced...Even Cpt Slow had so much more enthusiasm then Matt...and he already asked to sign on for a second season...why...

America Runs on Dunkin'
Rovers Run on Diesel

2008 Range Rover HSE L322/MkIII
1988 D90 County RHD 2.5TD
2015 Porsche Cayenne TD
Old June 6th, 2016, 12:52 AM
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team
This weeks episode is much better.

Originally Posted by rijosho View Post
Soapy water / KY jelly, etc. is is basically a must. Yes, good idea to remove trim panels - only takes 5 more minutes to do so.
Car Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old June 7th, 2016, 11:22 AM
'94 D-90
Originally Posted by leastonce View Post
This weeks episode is much better.
was a little better. Still think they should go with Matt Chris Harris and Rory.
Can't you feel 'em circlin' (closin'in) honey?
Can't you feel 'em swimmin' around?
You got fins to the left, fins to the right,
and you're the only bait in town.
You got fins to the left, fins to the right,
and you're the only girl in town.

Jimmy Buffett

Ex2 Adventures
Old June 7th, 2016, 12:40 PM
1965 IIa
OK.... so I finally got around to watching the FIRST episode last night.

Chris Evans is annoying. But he MIGHT end up being annoying in a "good" way, if things develop in the right way in the future.

Leblanc is pretty good. He seemed a bit scripted, like the BBC doesn't trust him yet. But in the moments when he was left to say and act as he wanted he seemed to be enjoying himself, and was entertaining.

Where are the others? Why was Sabine not in studio? And can the BBC be so dense as to not see that people like Harris and Rory much better than Evans! I can't understand how they are missing the idea/fact that having three hosts in studio and on the challenges is a much better way to get energy and balance in the segments and in the chemistry of the characters of the show. Baffling.

I think it is saying something that the trailer for Extra Gear is BETTER than the 1st Episode itself!

Where were the car reviews? Leblanc's segment with the Ariel was close, but it seemed to be too scripted. They should have put the thing through it's paces, tested what it could actually do. Instead, it was a pre-planned race with a pre-planned outcome. Same with Rover vs. Jeep... we all knew how that would turn out, which isn't always bad, but we weren't sold the idea that there might be a plot-twist at the end.

The outcome of that segment really says a lot about the show on a whole: Good ideas, good vehicles, good production quality; but bad chemistry, bad editing. Leblanc again seemed to be being told what to do. And when Chris Evans cheats we want to punch him; but when Clarkson cheats, we feel bad for him and let him win.

So... if they start using three hosts. If they put Evans in his place, or get rid of him -- which is probably the only answer. And if they incorporate Harris and Rory and Sabine, and the style of presentation/production and CAR REVIEWS, I think it might be a good show!

As it is, the show had a few successful moments. But mostly it was boring. It was boring because of the delivery, chemistry, etc... But in being boring, while having good production, it actually became annoying. It's like the kid with the sweet stereo system in his car who, instead of using it to listen to music, uses it to proclaim how cool he is by annoying those around him by showing how loud he can be.
Project: Aux 110
1965 IIa SWB
1988 Saudi 110 (soon to be 300tdi)
Old June 7th, 2016, 03:15 PM
1989 110SW 1 of 2,000,000
Same here, I just finished watching episode one. I didn't think it was that bad. Kind of like getting adjusting to a new pair of shoes. I look forward to the old crews new show but I didn't hate the new cast either.

:O [==] O:

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat