Top 3 stock items to address - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old February 18th, 2005, 02:55 PM
paulb
Paul / Boultbee
1994 D-90, Green #1576

Top 3 stock items to address

I've seen the thread asking all which aux item they would like to get, but I am interested in everyones more basic historical wish for the Defender. I'm not looking for upgrades to design the ultimate off roader, but more what did LR really drop the ball on. I think once I see the list, I'll take the top 10 and mail it to LR World and LR monthly - US edition to see if some articles to address them could be written.

Looking at your wheels, what do you wish the designers & engineers had made better?

I have put down my top 4, though #1 is my true main complaint.
1. The soft top - with 2 manufactures ultimately involved and hired by LR, was really this easy for LR to fail
to have designed a well fitting, easy to install top?
OH, and lest I forget, I had a fiberglass hard top I sold 'cause it leaked better (i.e. more water in) than
the soft top. What idiot came up with a design where the partician bolts attached INSIDE the rain gutter?
2. The tranny leaks - um, my D90 gets parked on the left side of the driveway. How can you tell? All the
seals leak and the spots now blanket a 3x9 ft area.
3. Differential Lock - (this one may just be mine but) Difficult to get into place when engaging and then not
sure where I am. Had a torn rotory cuff one winter and could not even get the diff into locked position
4. Interier lighting - dash & central light are so weak as to be useless. Surely the engeneers envisioned
night driving, or was photosensitivity and eye strain their number one concern?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 18th, 2005, 03:05 PM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

As the next Defender for the US will be a completely differant animal, I think they will just toss the suggestions on the trash but for giggles the top 2 that come to my mind would be stronger diffs and axles.

Please email one of the current MODs if you need assistance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lriwater: As you know, most wives don't like Series trucks due to the ride and lack of creature comforts. Girlfriends seem to like those, but some sort of magic happens during the wedding ceremony.
[/size]
Old February 18th, 2005, 03:16 PM
paulb
Paul / Boultbee
1994 D-90, Green #1576

Oh, I do not mean for them to address such issues on the "new" defender (and I am not holding my breath for a 2008 introduction). This is more after market actions. Same issues with the US models are on the UK models. I am curious as to what bothers others. And if I can get an article (not me writting it) on it with solutions all the better.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 18th, 2005, 03:26 PM
jimmy salmon
jimmy salmon
94 D90 AA Yellow

the british army dont have a problem with the way they are made,its just us idiots adding on all the extra's
Old February 18th, 2005, 03:43 PM
jabber
m j

How 'bout an aluminum top that fits over the existing NAS roll cage.... Preferably one that doesn't leak!!!

An additional fuel tank that wouldn't run the risk of being f-ed up on the trail. I'm OK with having an additional tank under the passanger seat, but how bout one that doesn't drag on everything.
Old February 18th, 2005, 03:47 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Yep, that's the one single area Jeeps have us on, the tops.

The cooling system, that's in need of a big upgrade all around.

And a full set of REAL gauges.

-Hans

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My 100k stopped odometer fix

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old February 18th, 2005, 03:55 PM
JBurt
Jesse McCoy
'89 RRC SWB (needs work)

1. Top; even though with a Defender you've got to expect it.
2. AC in a soft top; Seriously, what genius thought this up.
3. Heat; While it is humorous I can't defrost the whole windshield in the snow, it's dangerous after a bit.
4. (I know you said 3 but) It's like they never thought anyone would try to steal something out of your truck. I don't know anybody that keeps anything in one without a tuffy console. Because of that mounting a radio and CB becomes a pain because they're too easy to steal if it's not in the console.
Old February 18th, 2005, 10:43 PM
sherpamike
Mike Doligalski
'95 D90 ST

Registry
not exactly the engineer's fault (i have heard a story about the DOT regulating the placement), but a larger gas tank would have been great.
Old February 19th, 2005, 10:28 AM
norros
Nicholas Orros
1995 NAS D90 SW

waaaaaah-waaaaaah... Like freakin' baby's.

http://www.fastcompany.com/online/46/complain.html

sheeesh...

Nicholas

P.S. I still love you guys though.

Old February 19th, 2005, 12:00 PM
priest944
Jay H
95 D90 SW

1. Gas Tank
2. Leaks (all of them)
3. Gauge choices/layout

As we know, all the above can be fixed on your own.
Old February 19th, 2005, 12:05 PM
whistler110
Mike Johnstone
ex-mod 110

The British army don't have problems because they get to use Wolf's. My suggestion, sell Wolf's to the public.

I'm just waiting until they start selling off the Wolf fleet, then I get my next toy.
Old February 19th, 2005, 01:34 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

My main issue is that the frame, bulkhead, capping, windscreen frame, t-pieces, bumper and every other peice of steel on the truck is not galvanized.

I would like cruise control.

Thats about it, well a 4.6 instead of the 3.9 but thats not a big deal.
Old February 19th, 2005, 03:38 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by whistler110
The British army don't have problems because they get to use Wolf's. My suggestion, sell Wolf's to the public.

I'm just waiting until they start selling off the Wolf fleet, then I get my next toy.
Whats so special about wolfs, all the same problems. The truck would be great if they just put in some decent axles, diffs, and CV's.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old February 20th, 2005, 01:58 PM
paulb
Paul / Boultbee
1994 D-90, Green #1576

Interesting comments. Some of those things I had not thought of but really like. To shake it up a bit, let me comment on the comments:
Jimmy - I have a buddy in Iraq (exactly where is a bit hush), UK armed forces and his unit has issues with the Wolf. But they take it as a real life test where you identify what to change. And these guys are driving where I never want to go - God bless them. He did not go into specifics but did say his boys felt safer than the spotted dicks, a play on the food. It was not a nasty comment, just a nickname given to the US forces in the Hummer - a penis - and spotted cause they seem to have targets painted on them)
Mr. Orros I do not think people are crying here. It is more like getting a higher education to make ones self better. Or even, and note I am in the greater LA area, to take the best and make it better using all availabe technology (implants are loved). As everyone on this site knows, feels, and has either stated or thought, the D90 has warts, but no one wants to sell theirs. That is me. It's just with 10 inches of rain this week alone, my D90 sits under a tarp to stop it filling with water, I have an LED flashlight hanging from the roll cage so I can see things at night, my heater levers on the left of the steering column require extreme force to move, I used 2 tubes of bathroom caulk to water proof the hard top, bla bla bla.
Myself, I am not a hard core off roader, just a low key one. I love my D90 but the simple things in the D90 seem to have been forgotten. LR seems to be lost (within in this specific area). Look at the March issue of LR monthly and what LR needs to do... Toyota just beat them to the market by at least 3 years with thier new 4x4.
I'm curious about the small stuff.
Old February 20th, 2005, 03:40 PM
4WD-90
Christopher Stanish
1994 defender 90

Thumbs up

Well said Paul...
(I'm all for: better interior lighting!)
Old February 20th, 2005, 04:19 PM
JBurt
Jesse McCoy
'89 RRC SWB (needs work)

I think it's cool that most Defender owners have seperate things that bug them, but as Paul says, "Nobody's selling." I'm also as curious as Paul at knowing what bugs everybody else.
Old February 21st, 2005, 12:11 AM
whistler110
Mike Johnstone
ex-mod 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckon37s
Whats so special about wolfs, all the same problems. The truck would be great if they just put in some decent axles, diffs, and CV's.
The Wolf is not the same as my ex-mod 110. The frame is reinforced, some body panels are thicker, the axles are upgraded, the transmission is upgraded and they come with a 300TDI.

A Wolf may not be strong enough for rock crawling but it is certainly an upgrade compared to the civilian models.

This isn't something that bugs me; but something that worries me is that the new Defender will likely not be as simple or as easy to upgrade/modify. These things have lots of small problems but they can all be fixed and a truck designed to our own needs can evolve through those repairs and modifications. How many other vehicles can be so easily tailoed to different roles.
Old February 21st, 2005, 08:57 AM
JBurt
Jesse McCoy
'89 RRC SWB (needs work)

You know Mike you're right. I don't think there are 2 defenders out there exactly alike. Everybody that seems to own one and start modifying it does so specifically for what they do and what they've learned in the past. It's also easy to do it yourself (I mean, I didn't even need a jack to put on diff covers) because the truck is tall off the ground and simple to modify.
Old February 21st, 2005, 09:02 AM
norros
Nicholas Orros
1995 NAS D90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulb
Mr. Orros I do not think people are crying here. It is more like getting a higher education to make ones self better. .
Easy now Paul, don't be such a 'Sensitive Sally'... I was just playing.
Like I tell my Father when we get in arguments through email, one thing that you can't convey through online text is TONE.

)

True, it does need some improvement I know... but I don't want them to change it too much... we all have to be careful because we might get what we wish for.

I especially like the argument that whistler110 poses:

"...This isn't something that bugs me; but something that worries me is that the new Defender will likely not be as simple or as easy to upgrade/modify. These things have lots of small problems but they can all be fixed and a truck designed to our own needs can evolve through those repairs and modifications. How many other vehicles can be so easily tailoed to different roles..."

This about hits the spot.

Cheers,

Nicholas Orros

Old February 21st, 2005, 12:01 PM
paulb
Paul / Boultbee
1994 D-90, Green #1576

Talking

Point taken Nicholas. Tone is low key
And I agree with whistler110 100%. But before I go down that route, tx to all for the comments.

Now... I think the 2007 or 08 or when ever Defender will be a totally different set of wheels. LR sold the 1st Series Is as work horses, the farmers helper. A sixty year run before totally morphing is exceptional. Compare to your phone, TV, even household construction (drywall introduced during WWII failed to sell until market pressures during the post war building boom altered that). The new Defender will be based on what will sell the most. The Defender is in a difficult spot - a utilitarian vehicle in the FORD premium group. As a marketing professional, my advice which they would not hear anyway, would be look to the rally sport approach. Think of the Subaru usage of its Rally wins.
Sell the Defender on 2 platforms regular + extended 4 dr so you have roughly the = to the 90 & 110.
Sell it as FORD wants and is going to, BUT have a stripped version availabe ala G4 style. The image is refined capability, just as the RR is sold, with brass balls just showing. Whistler110 - we are old school and if a CPU x 50 is not in the engine, it aint happn'n.

Finally, FORD is not exactly the visionary company it once was, which is a pity. Its now got a conservative, low hanging fruit image married to financial difficulty which has/will put it in a bind, and if the competition, like Toyota, beats them to the market (3 yrs!!!), the financial pressure results in cuts not line extensions.
Then again, maybe FORD will invest and turn around what LR management has done. During Xmas I was in Uganda for 3 weeks. I saw literally dozens of SIIIs and SIIs, 1 RR and several Discos. However, all old models while the Toyota was all over the place and the Mitzabishi (sp??) was #1 by far. Lost the customers.
In the marketing world - Land Rover milked a cash cow program and drove it to nothing, which is the idea.
No one to blame but the executive board and they had the company sold to FORD so...
But, will I buy a new Defender? Not likely. I may go from a 1994 to a 1997 for the creature comforts (and then forget to sell the 94) but I like what I got, I just want to see the road map at night, and not have to take off the dash because it and the top leak so much and have to grind out the rust.

Then again, that is why I got the damn hing in the 1st place... to work on and to play in.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat