Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old February 21st, 2005, 08:56 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by whistler110
The Wolf is not the same as my ex-mod 110. The frame is reinforced, some body panels are thicker, the axles are upgraded, the transmission is upgraded and they come with a 300TDI.

A Wolf may not be strong enough for rock crawling but it is certainly an upgrade compared to the civilian models.

This isn't something that bugs me; but something that worries me is that the new Defender will likely not be as simple or as easy to upgrade/modify. These things have lots of small problems but they can all be fixed and a truck designed to our own needs can evolve through those repairs and modifications. How many other vehicles can be so easily tailoed to different roles.

True on the last part, but the info on the wolf is not accurate. You are right 2 out of 5

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 21st, 2005, 09:14 PM
whistler110
Mike Johnstone
ex-mod 110

I'm curious what you are basing that on. I own a 1987 ex-mod and all the manuals possible for it. I also have the tech manuals for the Wolf. The two are not the same truck and what I said about the parts are correct, straight out of the Land Rover/military tech manuals.

Are you sure we're talking about the same vehicle? Are you saying the Wolf does not have a 300TDI? The chassis is not upgraded? The axles are the same as what you would find on a brand new 110?

They also have a nice one piece fibreglass roof instead of the leaking aluminum one on Defenders.
Old February 21st, 2005, 11:06 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

No,

I am not saying any of that. You were right on what you said. It does have a more inforced chassy, 300TDi. I could be wronge on this but I do not believe it has an upgraded tranny or thicker body panels. And I know that they do not have upgraded axles. The only difference it has with other D-s is a cheesy axle truss and cap. I have a Military Defender too, used to have the 2.5 NA too!! Anyway, thats why I said you were 2/5. Like I said, I could be wronge on the body panels, but they didn't seem any thicker to me. The only thing that makes the Wolf cool in my opinion is the roll cage. Otherwise, it has all the woefully inadequate drivetrain pieces that we all enjoy.

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 22nd, 2005, 12:35 AM
whistler110
Mike Johnstone
ex-mod 110

Ahh, I mis-read.

The axles are supposed to be running a 4 pinion diff, the same one used in some V8 90's and in the P38 Rangie's also the axle casing is thicker as well as the welded on bits. This would be an upgrade compared to mine but maybe not to all. The R380 used in the Wolf's is supposed to be upgraded from suffix L on, I'd have to check the manuals again but I believe it was larger bearings and/or shafts. This may be the case for civi ones as well but again a big improvement on the LT77 in my rig.

There was a quick mention in the manuals about the body, I believe it was the fenders and bonnet. That would make sense considering how the squaddies like to jump on them.
Old February 24th, 2005, 01:58 PM
paulb
Paul / Boultbee
1994 D-90, Green #1576

You guys are a RIOT. I, a novice start the simple thread to list the little stuff on the D90 drivning me nuts and this is where it goes. Do not get me wrong, I love this. The informational base in your heads is great. In fact, I'm about to start a Help thread on LED replacements. If you can help go there.
Oh, and I think you two know more about the WOLF my buddy is driving than he does - and he need it to sdave his arse daily! All I can say is thanks, now there is even more stuff for me to list and dream about installing.
Old February 25th, 2005, 02:04 AM
boshea
Brian OShea
1995 Defender 90 ST

speaking of better interior lighting...anyone know of a quick fix for the problem, besides keeping a flashlight in the car...ha
Old February 25th, 2005, 08:28 AM
JBurt
Jesse McCoy
'89 RRC SWB (needs work)

I believe the "As Seen On TV" store still carries those tap lights, the question is where to mount it in a ST
Old February 27th, 2005, 11:34 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulb
You guys are a RIOT. I, a novice start the simple thread to list the little stuff on the D90 drivning me nuts and this is where it goes. Do not get me wrong, I love this. The informational base in your heads is great. In fact, I'm about to start a Help thread on LED replacements. If you can help go there.
Oh, and I think you two know more about the WOLF my buddy is driving than he does - and he need it to sdave his arse daily! All I can say is thanks, now there is even more stuff for me to list and dream about installing.
I have the LED lights ready to install. When and if I get around to it I will post up for you, assuming you are talking about the flush mounted outside ones.

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old February 28th, 2005, 03:15 AM
D90_Camel
jesper Overgaard

next gen. d90?!

Speaking of D90 improvements, I hope this never makes it into production. Have you seen it before???

jesper.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	640.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	35.9 KB
ID:	2637   Click image for larger version

Name:	6402.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	38.2 KB
ID:	2638  

Name:	6403.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	46.4 KB
ID:	2639   Click image for larger version

Name:	6404.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	38.1 KB
ID:	2640  

Name:	6405.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	46.7 KB
ID:	2641  
Old February 28th, 2005, 03:45 AM
boshea
Brian OShea
1995 Defender 90 ST

Jesper...what is that? Where did you get these pics? The sky IS falling!
Old February 28th, 2005, 10:26 AM
JBurt
Jesse McCoy
'89 RRC SWB (needs work)

Dash mounted shifter knobs?!?! Why not put paddles in it if you're doing that?
First thought was, "Who lifted the mini cooper?"
Second thought was, "I never knew they made Defender body kits for Samurai's."

The sky is falling...
Old February 28th, 2005, 02:31 PM
paulb
Paul / Boultbee
1994 D-90, Green #1576

What the hell is that thing?
Funny about the LED interior lights. I was looking at that as well. Looking at the plastic liner at the roof line where the softtop slips in there should be no problem* setting a series of LEDs up there, or even running a line just under the lip of the dash board. Just to be sure - I am talking about a few white LEDs for visibility and NOT purple or neon green lighting ala rice rockets in down town LA.

* I the useless just wrote no problem and I can not even get my interior light to work. I have a flash light clipped to the soft top loops behind my head.
Old February 28th, 2005, 03:02 PM
Ragland
Robert Ragland
1994 Defender 90

Regarding the comment about the a/c in a soft top, I take exception. With bad weather and high humidity, the Defender is miserable as a daily driver without the a/c. The roof is on more days than not here with our rain.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat