Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old October 4th, 2010, 11:56 PM
michael67
Michael White
110 Tdi

Tools for a road trip....

Hey all,

No, I'm not here to stir up trouble (yet ). In the next week or two I'll be flying to Chicago to look at a 300 TDi/R380 Defender 110 and likely drive it back to Austin by way of Ohio, mostly freeway and state routes. I looked at it once about a month ago, and had the shop that built it take a look at it for a pre-sale inspection plus fluid change (timing belt has less than 15k on it). Everything seems to look good other than some corrosion on the door bottoms and a some surface rust on the frame from a few Chicago winters.

I have a toolbox that I carry on long (i.e. outside AAA tow range to home) road trips in my 82 Scrambler: wrenches, sockets, screwdrivers, pliers, and numerous odds and ends that have been more than useful now and then. However, this is my first Land Rover I'm not familiar with them enough to know what to take. I'm not expecting trouble, but.... I'll have a PC with the downloaded manuals. Any special tools? Are most nuts & bolts metric? I have 50 lbs of luggage allowance from United, and they're going to charge me for it, so I need to make it count!

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 5th, 2010, 12:19 PM
MonLand
Loic Fabro
95 D90 - 96 Disco -06 LR3

Registry
I would only take with me the tools that costs a lot of money/hard to find. Then I would stop by Harborfreight or equivalent to buy the wrenches, screwdrivers, etc you might need (I.e. The heavy stuff) and some other place for fluids.
If it's a true D110, it will be 99% metric.
What do you need?
Set of metric sockets (12 points) up to 19
Set of metric wrenches up to 19
Adjustable wrenches (for those odd bolts you may not have a socket for)
Multi meter
Some electrical wires
8ft of rope
Tow strap and two D shakles
Hammer
Pliers
A good jack (stock bottle is fine) and some pieces of woods so you can make a sturdy jack stand
Wd40
Brake cleaner
Rags
Plastic bags
Cell phone (with AAA membership # and charger)
Cash
List of Rover owner contact info so you can stop by when you need help/parts
Kit to repair tires/tubes if you have a leak
Small/cheap air compressor
Empty containers (or with water)
Can of diesel

Whatever you don't use, return it when you arrive at destination!

Personally, I'd do a "tune up" before driving it (fluids in engine, transmission, axles,etc., air filter, diesel filter).
it is not hoarding it is selective collecting
---
MonLand
1995 D90 NAS
1996 Discovery NAS
2006 LR3 NAS (hers, but comfy! :) )
Old October 5th, 2010, 01:47 PM
Crash303
Josh Harris
97/ D90 ST #1190

When I bought my 90. It was in Huston, TX and I planned to drive it from Tx to San Diego. I flew into Texas with some metric sockets, some screw drives, duct tape, zip ties and crescent wrenches. Also 1/2 socket wrench with extension to check the diff fluid. But when I picked it up, the first stop was Home Depot for a fire extinguisher. But I didn't really need anything special, other than the the 1/2 socket wrench and extension to add fluid to the rear diff. Because of the gear oil leaking out the ARB air solenoid filling up the battery box.
Although a AAA card and cell phone is probably this best tool.

"They are, in factory original condition, noisy, they leak water in from the top and oil out from underneath, you can never demist the windows in winter, they handle like scaffolding towers, and use more fuel than Beijing." Richard Hammond
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 5th, 2010, 02:08 PM
jefhuf
Jeff Huff
'94 D90 ST #655
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I posted about this as well when I was buying my truck earlier this year. in the end, I took my wallet and cell phone but the truck I purchased ended up being only about 100 miles from home.

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...ad.php?t=25314

If you are serious about the purchase, you may want to try shipping things instead of packing them and as was said before, only bring what is expensive. Fluids and even cheap tool sets can be found at most of the big chain stores for around $20-30.
Old October 5th, 2010, 03:41 PM
MonLand
Loic Fabro
95 D90 - 96 Disco -06 LR3

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash303 View Post
But I didn't really need anything special, other than the the 1/2 socket wrench and extension to add fluid to the rear diff. Because of the gear oil leaking out the ARB air solenoid filling up the battery box.
Plugged axle breather I assume?
it is not hoarding it is selective collecting
---
MonLand
1995 D90 NAS
1996 Discovery NAS
2006 LR3 NAS (hers, but comfy! :) )
Old October 6th, 2010, 07:24 PM
Crash303
Josh Harris
97/ D90 ST #1190

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonLand View Post
Plugged axle breather I assume?
No that was the first thing I looked at when I noticed the gear oil. And it was clean and clear. Now I haven't gotten knee deep into it yet, but from what I have read. It is a bad o-ring in the ARB locker that is allowing oil seep into the air side of the locker and travel up the air line. It doesn't hinder the operation of the locker, just makes a mess!!!

"They are, in factory original condition, noisy, they leak water in from the top and oil out from underneath, you can never demist the windows in winter, they handle like scaffolding towers, and use more fuel than Beijing." Richard Hammond
Old October 6th, 2010, 07:41 PM
ArmyRover
Bill Ski
83 110 "Frankenstein"

If you need a ride or something from the airport let me know I work about 30 min from o'hare.

Unknown Author

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
716-898-8153
Old October 6th, 2010, 10:48 PM
michael67
Michael White
110 Tdi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyRover View Post
If you need a ride or something from the airport let me know I work about 30 min from o'hare.
Nah, I should be good. The owner lives not too far from O'Hare and will be picking me up. The only thing he asks (assuming I buy it) is that I drop him off at the train station.

Thanks anyway.

------ Follow up post added October 6th, 2010 10:19 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonLand View Post
I would only take with me the tools that costs a lot of money/hard to find. Then I would stop by Harborfreight or equivalent to buy the wrenches, screwdrivers, etc you might need (I.e. The heavy stuff) and some other place for fluids.
If it's a true D110, it will be 99% metric.
What do you need?
Set of metric sockets (12 points) up to 19
Set of metric wrenches up to 19
Adjustable wrenches (for those odd bolts you may not have a socket for)
Multi meter
Some electrical wires
8ft of rope
Tow strap and two D shakles
Hammer
Pliers
A good jack (stock bottle is fine) and some pieces of woods so you can make a sturdy jack stand
Wd40
Brake cleaner
Rags
Plastic bags
Cell phone (with AAA membership # and charger)
Cash
List of Rover owner contact info so you can stop by when you need help/parts
Kit to repair tires/tubes if you have a leak
Small/cheap air compressor
Empty containers (or with water)
Can of diesel

Whatever you don't use, return it when you arrive at destination!

Personally, I'd do a "tune up" before driving it (fluids in engine, transmission, axles,etc., air filter, diesel filter).
My sockets and wrenches are cheap Craftsman or Ace Hardware tools, so I don't mind bringing them - United Airlines is bringing the most of the way there . I may pick up some of the other stuff locally, or at least on the leg of the trip to Ohio. I'll probably end up with most of what you've suggested, along with a flashlight and blanket (if I'm lying on the ground, I may as well be comfortable....). I'm not sure why I would need the rope and shackles, given that I won't be (intentionally) going off road, and the chance of ice or snow are pretty slim along my route.

A tune up was done by the shop that built it up as part of the pre-sale inspection, so I should be good there. As part of the sale, the owner had the shop repair the fuel tank as it was dripping, so I should be good there too (it's a classic car restoration shop).

It's not a true 110, it's on a 65 chassis, and still has some 65 components, most notably the fuel tank and frame, which now has coil springs.

Speaking of routes, anyone here live along the way, just in case? My route will start Chicago to north of Columbus, Ohio off of I-71 mostly along US30. I'll be mostly sticking to the interstates from Ohio to Austin: I-71 south to Columbus, to I-70 west to St. Louis, to I-44 west to US69/75 south in Big Cabin, Oklahoma, to I-35 in DFW to Austin. Not the most adventurous route, but I'll save that for when I'm comfortable with it.

Thanks!
Old October 7th, 2010, 09:40 AM
andyrad
Andy Radlgruber
None.

I would keep it light as possible, like a complete socket and wrench set and two large adjustables, to take care of the basic things.

I sold a 90 to a guy in Vancouver and I swear everything was good and tight. I checked it over and greased it all up for his road trip from Calgary to Vancouver but he still lost a u-joint on the way.

Nothing can prevent it from happening unless you have him replace the u-joints before you leave. Even have it certified that the wheel bearings were checked and re-packed. These are the sort of thing that are a pain to fix on the road if they can even be fixed without replacement parts on hand.

Take an ipod and a good set of earbuds or headphones to kill the noise for a while.
Old October 9th, 2010, 08:49 PM
michael67
Michael White
110 Tdi

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyrad View Post
I would keep it light as possible, like a complete socket and wrench set and two large adjustables, to take care of the basic things.

Take an ipod and a good set of earbuds or headphones to kill the noise for a while.
Thanks. From the test drive I took, though, this is a relatively quiet Defender. Much quieter than my old Jeep. The transfer case gearing is from a Discovery, so the acceleration is nothing to write home about, but it did cruise nicely at 70 MPH. Of course, I had just spent eight hours driving my Exige, the last couple hours or so in Chicago traffic, so anything that didn't transmit every road imperfection was a bit of a break .
Old October 10th, 2010, 01:05 AM
ArmyRover
Bill Ski
83 110 "Frankenstein"

If you need anything let me know.

Unknown Author

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
716-898-8153
Old October 12th, 2010, 05:33 PM
DNinety
JP
1984 Ninety 200TDI

I did the same thing and besides what everyone else said - I needed a portable charger for my phone/portable music player/gps....b/c the cigar lighter wasn't working. I just charged the charger every night and it got me thru the day.

"A tune up was done by the shop that built it up as part of the pre-sale inspection"

Which shop if you don't mind me asking?
Old October 12th, 2010, 10:24 PM
DMSLongLake
Dave Sherwood
1994 D90 ST

Registry
Drove mine back from Denver to Minneapolis and here was my list:
Red Bull
Duct tape
Hose clamps
zip ties
sunflower seeds
Red Bull
ipod
Ear plugs
Old October 13th, 2010, 12:37 AM
michael67
Michael White
110 Tdi

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNinety View Post
I did the same thing and besides what everyone else said - I needed a portable charger for my phone/portable music player/gps....b/c the cigar lighter wasn't working. I just charged the charger every night and it got me thru the day.

"A tune up was done by the shop that built it up as part of the pre-sale inspection"

Which shop if you don't mind me asking?
Good thought. I -think- I recall the current owner having his cell phone plugged into something, but I'll bring my AC charger just in case.

Northshore Sportscar in Lake Bluff did the work. They specialize in British cars. They built this Defender up from a '65 frame. Small shop, though - one bay, one Scottish mechanic. It took about a month to have the pre-sale inspection, the gas tank relined, and the fluids, etc.... changed. From what I've heard, he does good work. Just have to be patient and keep tabs on things.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
trip