tool for fitting window rubber seal - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old June 6th, 2015, 10:11 PM
Ben01
Ben
Defender

tool for fitting window rubber seal

Does anyone know what the tool is called? I have to get the bead in my rear quarter window. I'm sure it is on amazon, I just can't find it! See below thread if my description is not clear.

Land Rover Owner • View topic - Rear Quarterlight Rubber
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 6th, 2015, 11:42 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
window lock strip tool.

matco makes one.
Old June 7th, 2015, 12:20 AM
CDN38
Scott Pelly
2000 110 TD5

Registry
Spray the strip with silicone and push it in. You will be left with about an inch long portion f the trip hanging out, work it backwards into the seal.

Just tinted all my windows (rears and alpine) and didn't use a tool on the lock strip, no problems putting it in. Biggest resistance you will have is in the corners.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 7th, 2015, 12:48 AM
icnsltmfg
Adam
1988 D90 RHD 19J

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDN38 View Post
Spray the strip with silicone and push it in. You will be left with about an inch long portion f the trip hanging out, work it backwards into the seal.

Just tinted all my windows (rears and alpine) and didn't use a tool on the lock strip, no problems putting it in. Biggest resistance you will have is in the corners.
Scott...was it easier to tint with them out? The rears I have heard are pretty easy to her back in but the alpines can be a PITA.... btw did you tint the rear door glass? Can you tint over the heating coils?

2017 Range Rover L405 HSE TD6
2008 Range Rover HSE L322/MkIII - Gone but not forgotten
1988 D90 County RHD 2.5TD
2015 Porsche Cayenne TD
Old June 7th, 2015, 01:50 AM
CDN38
Scott Pelly
2000 110 TD5

Registry
I have a 2014 rear Puma rear door I am putting on, so, I pulled out the rear glass in order to paint the door. With the glass out I thought, OK, time to get the tint job I always wanted. So I had time in the shop (with a broken injector, waiting a couple days for parts) and figured I would take the other windows out(rear quarters and alpines). Sliders have corrosion on the frames, and my plan is to re-finish them next year, so those will be tinted in place for now.

My impression has always been that it's easier to do (and you get a better job) by taking the glass to a glass shop and have them tint them there, in their nice clean shop. Not having to work around trim and confined space is going to be easier. The tint is first rate, no crap or bubbles in the film. The rear glass film is right over the heat coils, no issues.

Thought re and re of the alpines was going to be a bit of a challenge as I have a Hannibal rack that I didn't want to fully remove, and the feet are right in front of the glass (with tent and spare, the rack is heavy) so we lifted up 1 side with a forklift. Worked perfect. The actual in and out of the glass and seals wasn't bad at all. One side done, we did the same on the other.

The old seals were dirty and full of crud, but not cracked, so I cleaned them up with acetone, then soap and water which brought them back to life.

Hopefully the new door comes back from paint this week. I'll put the glass back in and re-install the wiring, wiper handle etc. and drop it on with the new hinges and SS bolts. Watch the classifieds, I'l have a used TD5 rear door to sell soon.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TINT.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	122458  
Old June 7th, 2015, 02:02 AM
Ben01
Ben
Defender

Quote:
Originally Posted by icnsltmfg View Post
Scott...was it easier to tint with them out? The rears I have heard are pretty easy to her back in but the alpines can be a PITA.... btw did you tint the rear door glass? Can you tint over the heating coils?
Alpine are a pita,the rest are no big deal. You can tint over the coils. Easier to remove the quarter windows but getting them back in is annoying.

------ Follow up post added June 7th, 2015 02:02 AM ------

Thanks ordered!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
rubber, window