Old July 23rd, 2013, 01:15 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Tons of Diesel Options Coming Our Way In 2014 and Beyond

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/21/au...nted=1&_r=0&hp

"The number of available diesel car and S.U.V. models is expected to double by the end of 2014, to 34 from 17, according to the Diesel Technology Forum."

I was reading this in the NYTimes today - it looks like VW currently sells a diesel 1 out of every 5 sales. Audi is looking to do nearly the same in the next three years. Additionally, as we've suspected all along, the EPA hates diesels, and loves hybrids...perhaps to the point of commiting fraud. The EPA may finally have to answer some questions as to their testing methodologies, as a class action lawsuit has been filed by hybrid owners who are dissatisfied with the real-world MPG's vs. what the EPA window sticker stated.

"Given that [Sales of diesel passenger cars and S.U.V.’s jumped by nearly 26 percent from 2011], some automakers are wondering out loud why new-school diesel cars — which in some cases burn even less fuel and produce lower levels of global-warming gases than hybrids — are getting no love or largess from Washington."

"Owners of the Ford C-Max and Fusion Hybrid have filed class-action lawsuits over window-sticker ratings that proved overblown. That has focused attention on the E.P.A.’s testing regime, which seems to credit hybrids for illusory mileage while understating diesel efficiency."

“'You’ll never find a diesel driver complaining that they’re not getting the posted mileage,' said Allen Schaeffer, executive director of the Diesel Technology Forum. 'They all brag that they’re doing better.'”

Some other notable quotables:

"An industry analysis firm, LMC Automotive, projects that diesel market share will double by 2018, from 3.7 percent to 7.5 percent. That would rival the 8.7 percent for all hybrids and plug-ins combined. And battery-only E.V.’s? They’re expected to capture just 0.6 percent of sales."

"gallon-for-gallon, diesel fuel contains some 12 percent more energy than gasoline. The upshot: diesels consume about 15 to 30 percent less fuel over all."

"Americans flocked to diesels in 2012. Sales of diesel passenger cars and S.U.V.’s jumped by nearly 26 percent from 2011. That’s despite the stubbornly high price of diesel fuel that, at $3.87 a gallon on average, is 23 cents more than regular gas (but a penny less than premium grade)."

"About 6.7 million diesel vehicles were on American roads in 2012, according to R. L. Polk registration data, but barely 800,000 of those were passenger cars and S.U.V.’s"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 23rd, 2013, 01:19 PM
The Dro
Dro
1988 Ninety

Registry
Good article.

This is great:

The limo-size Audi A8 TDI sedan, in my testing, delivered 39 m.p.g. even at a 70-m.p.h. cruise, 3 m.p.g. above its estimate.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old July 23rd, 2013, 02:02 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Wont be able to afford a Range Rover Diesel.

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 23rd, 2013, 03:21 PM
Jackie Treehorn
A
1985 (legitimately)

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/21/au...nted=1&_r=0&hp

"Americans flocked to diesels in 2012. Sales of diesel passenger cars and S.U.V.ís jumped by nearly 26 percent from 2011. Thatís despite the stubbornly high price of diesel fuel that, at $3.87 a gallon on average, is 23 cents more than regular gas (but a penny less than premium grade)."
great article.

could also have something to do with the barely-flamable gasoline they are trying to pass off as "fuel" these days. A buddy was over my place the other day bragging about 39MPG on his new Passat TDi. He's in the energy business (converting fleets of trucks from diesel to LNG) and he loves his TDi! He puts between 400-700 miles per week average and wanted to make the move years ago, but there were just too few viable/economical options.

The next big leap will be when somebody delivers a lightweight diesel outboard motor!
Old July 23rd, 2013, 03:44 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Perhaps I'm insulated in that most of the people I know are somehow car-enthusiasts, but it seems to me (i.e. I have no empirical evidence) that the individuals who are purchasing diesels these days seem to be mostly car enthusiasts, while those purchasing hybrids seem to be primarily those who are not exactly car enthusiasts, but who blindy believe they're doing the best they can for the environment without delving any further into the details. Many of the brands who are implementing diesel engines into their passenger vehicles seem to be the brands with some of the most brand-loyal consumers, and these brands are simply listening to their consumers.
Old July 23rd, 2013, 03:50 PM
DOX
Eric Doxey
1995 Defender 90

Registry
Once US diesel regulations fall in line with European regulations you will see a lot more options. I believe that is in 2016
Old July 23rd, 2013, 04:16 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

My 2011 VW TDI sportwagen is great. I don't really drive my rovers or jag or lotus much anymore other than trips to dinner and such.

I get 40mpg measured at the pump and I am not even trying to save fuel.
Old July 23rd, 2013, 04:19 PM
Daddymow
Raub A.
1987 D110 Tithonus

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post
Perhaps I'm insulated in that most of the people I know are somehow car-enthusiasts, but it seems to me (i.e. I have no empirical evidence) that the individuals who are purchasing diesels these days seem to be mostly car enthusiasts, while those purchasing hybrids seem to be primarily those who are not exactly car enthusiasts, but who blindy believe they're doing the best they can for the environment without delving any further into the details. Many of the brands who are implementing diesel engines into their passenger vehicles seem to be the brands with some of the most brand-loyal consumers, and these brands are simply listening to their consumers.
X2 on the hybrids. I have a friend who owns one, when I asked him about the carbon foot print of making and disposing of his battries I got a blank stare. Now my other buddy is an environmental engineer and he drives a diesel Jetta, it gets great mpg and he is well on his way to 300,000 miles. That Prius won't last much over a 100K.
Old July 23rd, 2013, 04:20 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij View Post
My 2011 VW TDI sportwagen is great. I don't really drive my rovers or jag or lotus much anymore other than trips to dinner and such.

I get 40mpg measured at the pump and I am not even trying to save fuel.
40MPG is nice. And judging by your past posts I bet that VW is driven WOT a lot.

That Jeep diesel will be on the list if and when we swap out the L322. But it will be my wife's car so gas powered will be needed for convenience.

I would love if GM put a small diesel in the next generation of the Suburbans. A diesel, barn doors in the back and vinyl mat option for the rear and that vehicle would be just about perfect.
Old July 23rd, 2013, 04:28 PM
evilfij
evilfij

WOT in the VW will put you well over 100mph very quickly. I cruise at 75mph in 6th at 2k rpm and shift around 2500rpm. I rarely downshift as it is not needed. Amazing flat torque curve. But yes, I do use WOT to get to 2500.
Old July 23rd, 2013, 04:41 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij View Post
WOT in the VW will put you well over 100mph very quickly. I cruise at 75mph in 6th at 2k rpm and shift around 2500rpm. I rarely downshift as it is not needed. Amazing flat torque curve. But yes, I do use WOT to get to 2500.
Sounds like a nice little sleeper of a car. That flat torque curve must be great in traffic/congested conditions.
Old July 23rd, 2013, 04:46 PM
evilfij
evilfij

Ya, it is not jag super V8 fast, exige S fast, but it is plenty fast in traffic.
Old July 23rd, 2013, 07:06 PM
JohnsD90
John
74 SIII 88", 88 110, 91 110

Registry
What sucks is all this DEF shit they shove down our throats though, as well as the DPF's too, right when people are trending towards diesels now you have to have a bunch of unneccesary crap added to the car that will make people not want to buy it. With the Exhaust fluid now you have to add it every 2k-5k miles depending on the vehicle or else it hits limp mode. And the Diesel Particulate filter, you have to make sure it gets burned off or else it can get clogged and be harmful to the motor, so now you have to let a truck sit there and scream at a high idle every couple thousand miles to burn the shit out of the filter, now i dont know how you clean the filter on the passenger cars, but that doesnt sound like something "joe blow" with do.

On a side note,Im not against the computer controller diesels or anything i love the fact that you can send the right amount of fuel to them motor at any point in time, compared to my 12 valve which will smoke till the turbo catches up, but they jammed too much tech on these new motors and i believe that is killing some of the fuel efficiency.
Old July 23rd, 2013, 09:59 PM
Capt Milks
Mike
Defender V-8, Defender 2.25

My dually Dodge 6.7L crew cab long bed diesel gets over 17 mpg on the highway and getting better as the motor only has 50K miles. It has the particulate filter. No urea. The particulate burn off is computer controlled and you don't notice it when it happens. On the Jeep MB diesel you could smell when the particulate was burning off, but nobody else noticed it. The new Jeep Diesel with have both the particulate and urea, 10,000 miles between Urea fill ups. At least the new Jeep diesel, Italian made, is forecast to get 30 Mpg highway with the 4wd.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
diesel