to sell or not to sell That's the question - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old February 5th, 2014, 09:58 AM
down_shift
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3

Registry
The NLA cage padding has seen better days. Note the bumper mount. Signs of an overspray.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 5th, 2014, 10:04 AM
thewap
Marc
'95 D90 SW#106

Registry
Looking at the ebay ad the lack of pictures and details makes for a no brainer *pass on this one*.
It's hard enough to buy sight unseen with MANY detailed pictures, but with the lack of visual info on this one makes it impossible.
Old February 5th, 2014, 10:07 AM
Z.G
Zack
300Tdi 95 D1

Registry
I've seen resprays done with the doors left on, but with the ARB left on!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 5th, 2014, 10:14 AM
down_shift
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3

Registry
Other pics from his prior ads.

Old February 5th, 2014, 10:17 AM
Nomar
Jeff B
RR HNTR,RR LWB Tdi

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by down_shift View Post
The NLA cage padding has seen better days. Note the bumper mount. Signs of an overspray.
Oh, also note the bumper itself. It looks like total crap-more rusty crusty.
And since this is a one owner original Defender...who can take credit/blame for all the rust?

This 90 below was lowered to 18.5k for a clean looking salvage title truck.

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...ad.php?t=50675

I doubt the rusty yellow 90 in question would do as well.

Real Rovers have round headlights!
Rent my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
!
Just a few miles from 4x4 access!
Old February 5th, 2014, 10:20 AM
Daddymow
Raub A.
1987 D110 Tithonus

Registry
He did say "GAME ON!"
Old February 5th, 2014, 10:24 AM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Here are some of the things I can see with the few pictures provided from your eBay ad. My (our) advice would be to either address these issues in order to get top dollar, discount accordingly if unwilling to do the work...or keep it.

-Additional holes drilled in the driver side wing, plus a large dent: $150+paint
-ARB bumper: has multiple rust spots, and is bubbling up from underneath. Strip and powdercoat needed: $400
-ARB bumper: is it installed all the way? Has it been tweaked? It looks a little off from the front, and droops down to the passenger side. Just replace with a stock bumper at this point: $200
-Hinges replaced with those cheap squared-off ones. Replace plus paint: $200
-Bulkhead repairs were carried out near the windshield. Redo those repairs properly: ~$300
-Doors (soft top): they look out of alignment (drooping in the back). $50
-Doors (soft top): door top finish appears to be breaking down: $50
-Doors (hard top): I can see overspray onto the window seal. Shows they likely weren't professionally painted. I can also see either green or blue peaking through the paint. How is the rust on them underneath? $100-500 if only prepping and properly painting. More if repairs are also done.
-Floors: no one wants diamond plate. That photo alone is probably decreasing the value of your vehicle more than any other photo. Depending on how much needs to be replaced, I'd say removal and replacement (with paint) would probably be $400 per side, so $800
-New pedal covers: $50
-Re-upholster seats to correct vinyl from the SW fabric type: $300?
-Paint the diamond plate on the Tuffy black: $10
-Full soft top: $600-1,000

That's about $4,000 right there. My advice would be to first just remove that ARB and winch, and remove the snorkel. Sell the snorkel for as much as you can get, as well as the winch and the ARB bumper. Use those funds to start repairing some of the issues already mentioned, with either resale or longevity of ownership in mind. Replace the bumper with a stock unit for like $200, you'll also need to replace the stock air intake horn, and the wing top cover. You'll still have money left over to begin the other work.

--------------------

OK wow now I see the cage padding photo which isn't even mentioned in the eBay ad. Honestly, if you're not willing to disclose this stuff upfront then why even put it up for sale? This truck needs some searious love and attention, and the photos and description in your ad really do not accurately and completely describe the overall condition of the truck at all (in my opinion of course).
Old February 5th, 2014, 10:49 AM
Nomar
Jeff B
RR HNTR,RR LWB Tdi

Registry
Rob, I see lots of potential issues but I'd still do 15,9 for the truck as is and I'll do a quick sale.

Rent my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
!
Old February 5th, 2014, 12:04 PM
down_shift
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3

Registry
$15.9k is crazy money for something that looks like it spent its entire 20 year, 126,000 mile life in the salty roads of PA. I don't get it. There are no bones here to start with.
Old February 5th, 2014, 12:42 PM
101stAirborne
Battle Ewing
1997 D90 LE 255/300

Registry
Wow! I was extremely lucky to get mine in its great condition when I bought it sight unseen! The guy I bought it from restored and maintained it with great detail.

I fully agree with everyone now when they say to see it in person before you pull the trigger. The description he gave was very misleading, but you have to admit that everyone values their personal defender in high regards. If I were the current owner, I would spend the $5,000 to bring it up to speed and then try to sell it.
Old February 5th, 2014, 12:45 PM
Nomar
Jeff B
RR HNTR,RR LWB Tdi

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by down_shift View Post
$15.9k is crazy money for something that looks like it spent its entire 20 year, 126,000 mile life in the salty roads of PA. I don't get it. There are no bones here to start with.
Um, yeah...that might still be too high. But I tend to do a lot of work myself....and I was basing that offer on some fairly solid ROW trucks that have sold in the low to mid teens in the last 4-6 months. I guess I could live with that amount but 13-14K is probably a better price, huh?
I'm assuming, of course, that the mechanicals of this archaic 3.9 v-belt are indeed in good shape as the OP says they are. Having said that, the OP isn't much on corrosion prevention so that doesn't speak well for his maintenance schedule either...
If the truck was in fact driven 6 or 12 times a year, I have to wonder how much, if any, regular maintenance was performed.
There are 2 places I would check on this 3.9 that would speak volumes (no, I'm not saying what they are).

ebay= 1 bid @ 17K.... um, sure! better take it, unless it's your bro bidding up

Rent my
!
Old February 5th, 2014, 01:15 PM
Daddymow
Raub A.
1987 D110 Tithonus

Registry
I wonder if he is going to maintain his airplane as well as he maintained his Rover. Good luck with all that.
Old February 5th, 2014, 01:48 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Once you have posted here, there is no escaping the Rover Mafia.

You cannot leave. If you try by selling, you will be forced to buy again.

Resistance is futile.

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old February 5th, 2014, 02:17 PM
Nomar
Jeff B
RR HNTR,RR LWB Tdi

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post
Here are some of the things I can see with the few pictures provided from your eBay ad. My (our) advice would be to either address these issues in order to get top dollar, discount accordingly if unwilling to do the work...or keep it.

-Bulkhead repairs were carried out near the windshield. Redo those repairs properly: ~$300

OK wow now I see the cage padding photo which isn't even mentioned in the eBay ad. Honestly, if you're not willing to disclose this stuff upfront then why even put it up for sale? This truck needs some searious love and attention, and the photos and description in your ad really do not accurately and completely describe the overall condition of the truck at all (in my opinion of course).

Is that more "Diamond plate" riveted over the rust on the bulkhead?? (lower R. corner of pic)

Puhleez... I'm thinking more than Josh's estimate for bulkhead.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2058 (2).jpg
Views:	142
Size:	153.2 KB
ID:	89209  

Rent my
!
Old February 5th, 2014, 02:25 PM
NPT90
JT
D90 óriginalé

Registry
woof, not sure that even qualifies as a repair
Old February 5th, 2014, 02:28 PM
geoellis
George
1995 D90 #2904 - BB

Quote:
Originally Posted by bar11 View Post
I have a '94 d-90 with 128,000 miles in decent shape and I am thinking about selling, I know there has been alot of talk hereabout this subject. I was just wondering if the majority of d-90 owners think the value is going tot continue to increase and if so by how much over the years? or has the value and price ppl are willing to pay for a 20+ year old d-90 has topped out? whattya think??

In response to your question, IMHO I think the value of NAS Defenders will stay strong. Not sure how much upside there is, but the trend looks good given the limited original production numbers coupled with the undetermined annual attrition rate (accidents, oil line fires, etc.)

The big unknown is what will happen to prices beginning in 2019 when ROW Defenders become eligible for importation and offer an alternative to the NAS 90s from '94 onward. I still think that NAS prices, especially for soft tops, will hang in there, but it's a crap shoot.

That's my general price perspective, however, condition of the truck is critical for individual pricing. Defenders aren't worth crazy money in just any condition. A low mileage and pristine NAS 90 may command $50k plus, while a neglected rust bucket might be lucky to sell for $10k. In the grand scheme of things even, $10k is pretty good for a 20 year old tractor!
Old February 5th, 2014, 02:31 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomar View Post
Is that more "Diamond plate" riveted over the rust on the bulkhead?? (lower R. corner of pic)

Puhleez... I'm thinking more than Josh's estimate for bulkhead.
Oh clearly more could be spent on that bulkhead! My estimate was really only for that little part that can be seen in the few pics from his eBay ad (not sure I even saw the passenger side in the pics). I believe you can buy the replacement pieces for just that portion of both sides of the bulkhead, though.

Feel free to add on the other items that need attention with the additional photos you've either found or been sent. I'll add:

-Roll cage cantrails needed: $700-800 (don't throw away the old ones though, as you can probably sell them)
-Windshield gasket: $100-150? I haven't looked at these in a while
Old February 5th, 2014, 02:42 PM
gliebig
Greg Liebig
95 D90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddymow View Post
I wonder if he is going to maintain his airplane as well as he maintained his Rover. Good luck with all that.
Lol. I was thinking the same thing.

Who wants to go for a ride?

Old February 5th, 2014, 03:06 PM
NPT90
JT
D90 óriginalé

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by gliebig View Post
Lol. I was thinking the same thing.

Who wants to go for a ride?

Old February 5th, 2014, 05:29 PM
revtor
Steve Maietta
1969 IIA 88" Bugeye

Registry
Yes you should sell your truck. It deserves better.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat