Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old March 25th, 2014, 06:10 PM
Flagg
Flagg
1995 Defender 90 NAS

To HOSPITAL in SNOWSTORM

Hi,

Let me start by saying that this is hardly a Defender Story. I have no doubt that the Defender could have made this drive. I have driven the Defender LOTS of times in the snow. But……...The kids love the Defender, and it is full of too many car seats for this drive. Plus, my wife might not have enjoyed the limited heat and comfort the Defender would have offered…...Or me having to keep pulling over to wipe off the snow build up on the vertical windshield

So we also have a 2012 Subaru Outback……….and I am continuing to like Subaru more and more. Here is a message I just posted on my Subaru Outback chat Forum - that I thought some of you would like to read.

------------------------------

On March 17th our third child was born - a beautiful baby Girl. Baby and Mother are healthy and happy - and my two sons (age 7 and 5) are excited as well. It is a magical time!

NOW I am a bigger believer than ever of the Outback's ability in the Snow. They were calling for a storm on Sunday night. All day Sunday my wife had no real signs of labor - but we joked around about how ironic it would be if we ended up driving to the hospital at 3:00 AM, in the middle of the Snowstorm.

Well……..we ended up leaving for the hospital at 3:00 AM in the worst part of the storm. This was not a huge storm - and there were only probably 4-5 inches out there when we left. The problem was it was snowing so hard…..

First we had to get up our long, steep hill to the street without shoveling. No problem. Then out our unplowed street, and work our way to the main roads. No problem. I figured we then had it made - because the main roads would not be that bad.

The problem was that there was NO ONE on the main roads. We sometimes passed a plow on the side of the road, or a police car, or a car that had spun off the road - but for the most part there was no traffic either direction. And there was stretches on this 2 lane, divided highway without overhead lights.

Our view looked like in Star Wars when you go into Light speed. Mesmerizing. When your car is providing the only light - it is hard to see in that much snow. One of my sisters was with us - and with 3 pairs of eyes, we followed the road.

Sometimes there was a pair of tire tracks to follow. Sometimes it was a blanket of white. In those cases it was hard to tell when the road was slightly bending because you could not distinguish what was the road, shoulder, or grass.

What is usually a 30 minute drive took us over an hour. We drove at speeds around 35 +/- mph. The one thing that we DID NOT have to worry about was the SUBARU. It gave so much confidence, and feeling of stability, that it surely helped me not panic during that drive. We love the car even more now!

Our little girl was born at 8:23 AM. We could not have waited until morning after the storm to go to the hospital.

Thank you Subaru! (do I sound like a classic Subaru commercial now?)

--------------------------------------

I am sure it will not be long before my new daughter falls in love with the Defender as my sons have!

FLAGG
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 25th, 2014, 06:19 PM
Broncoduecer
peter
D90

Congratulations! Glad all is well and you all made it ok!

We have had a couple of Foresters now and we've been very impressed with them. I've had a couple of NV shortcuts go bad on me and the Forester always got us through. And got to love the "all weather" package with the heated windshield and seats.
Congrats!
Pete
Old March 25th, 2014, 06:20 PM
d90boy
keith humphreys
aka: Mr Fancy Pants

Registry
Congrats! a baby girl will change your life forever! =)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 25th, 2014, 06:33 PM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
Congradualtiosn! Now take everything you've learned about parenting those boys and throw it out the window. Girls are a completely different animal.

-Jeff
Don't you know it!

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

"What's with this death wobble, Uncle Douglas, I can't keep it in 1 lane?"
UD: "Just Power through it man!"
Old March 25th, 2014, 08:04 PM
Mpigapicha
phil
1995 Defender D90

Congrats!
I'm also big fan of the capable Subaru.... had various and currently have XV which this winter it also proved itself! can't beat them.
Old March 25th, 2014, 08:54 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

When my current DD dies in x years an Outback is on the short list unless Honda gets it's act together and produces a decent AWD wagon.

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old March 25th, 2014, 09:20 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
i really like the xv, probably my next vehicle. subarus are pretty awesome, the new outbacks and legacys are fugly the impreza looks like a prius. great cars though however the styling has gone downhill
Old March 26th, 2014, 04:45 PM
Flagg
Flagg
1995 Defender 90 NAS

Thanks for all the comments! We are excited to try to raise a girl - and I am sure it will be different. I will post a picture of her when I get some good ones with the Defender.

As for Subaru - it is interesting to see that other people on this page like them too. We needed two cars about the same time. We bought a 2012 Manual Subaru Outback - Green - about 2.5 years ago in the beginning of the 2012 production run. We had never had a Subaru before.

When we needed to replace another car, 9-10 month later, we ended up buying another 2012 Subaru Outback, CVT Transmission in Gray. We could not find anything else that served our needs as well. Kind of funny to have two of the same car - but they seem to be GREAT cars - and everything I read and learn about Subaru seems impressive.

Mine is the simpler Manual model with less features. My wife now drives the fully loaded Automatic. We are both happy.

FLAGG
Old March 26th, 2014, 05:29 PM
Mpigapicha
phil
1995 Defender D90

Quote:
Originally Posted by rover4x4 View Post
i really like the xv, probably my next vehicle. subarus are pretty awesome, the new outbacks and legacys are fugly the impreza looks like a prius. great cars though however the styling has gone downhill

XV is a bit underpowered which I can deal with. Mileage is ok.... probably average around 28-30 mpg. It replaced a diesel, so anything is going to hurt after 45 mpg.
Old March 26th, 2014, 05:49 PM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

Congrats! My daughter just turned 10 on 21st... They are sweet, loving and fun...until they turn 15. I am not looking forward to dating.

Old March 27th, 2014, 08:21 AM
LRNAD90
Scott T
1995 Defender 90 ST

Registry
Congratulations on the new Addition! Girls are great (at least that is my opinion now, but mine is still 'only' 9 years old and still loves her daddy, so...

If you think the Outback was great in the snow on the Stock Contis, put a set of these on when they wear out, and you won't believe how good it can be in the snow..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old March 27th, 2014, 02:47 PM
Flagg
Flagg
1995 Defender 90 NAS

LRNAD90 - I followed the link and read about that tire.

That tires write up seems to say that it will preform BETTER in the snow, AND BETTER in the dry? I thought you could only have one or the other. Are they that smart in Finland?

Have you seen or use these tires. Seems like they are available in the US in the spring of this year. Do they cost a fortune?

Seem's like an awesome tire - but are they really better in the Dry? Maryland weather does not usually have winters THAT bad - so I don't want to be running a snow tire year round. Will the ride and noise be OK?

FLAGG
Old March 27th, 2014, 04:34 PM
94Rover
KCB
NONE

Congratulations on the birth of your baby girl.
Old March 28th, 2014, 08:16 AM
LRNAD90
Scott T
1995 Defender 90 ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flagg View Post
LRNAD90 - I followed the link and read about that tire.

That tires write up seems to say that it will preform BETTER in the snow, AND BETTER in the dry? I thought you could only have one or the other. Are they that smart in Finland?

Have you seen or use these tires. Seems like they are available in the US in the spring of this year. Do they cost a fortune?

Seem's like an awesome tire - but are they really better in the Dry? Maryland weather does not usually have winters THAT bad - so I don't want to be running a snow tire year round. Will the ride and noise be OK?

FLAGG
Sent you a PM..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat