Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old October 4th, 2012, 01:29 PM
Jpayne
Jeff Payne
'83 110 3 Door

Registry
To 4BT or not...

I have a lead on a 4BT that is currently sitting in a 1980 frito lay van. I'm curious to know what the value of the package should be worth. And if anybody has ever bought a package deal like this, how much would a person expect to get for the body when scrapped or parted out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 4th, 2012, 02:04 PM
JohnsD90
John
74 SIII 88", 88 110, 91 110

Registry
$2k sounds like a good price, if the motor runs they usually go for $2k, and the body is aluminum so that helps the value. I'm doubting it has an allison behind it but if it does those are worth good money.
Old October 4th, 2012, 02:33 PM
slorocco
Dan Prasada-Rao
1963, 109 Station Wagon

Check 4btswaps.com for good info along the lines of what you are asking.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 4th, 2012, 03:16 PM
Jpayne
Jeff Payne
'83 110 3 Door

Registry
Well they are asking $3500 for the whole truck and don't want to come down or sell just the engine. Not sure what all is under the hood yet but might go look at it. It sounds like that is too high
Old October 4th, 2012, 04:56 PM
oilburner
JL
large pile of parts

I imagine the aluminum is worth 1K easy but you would have to strip it - lots of time.

Other than the engine there is probably not a lot you can use. The TH400 trans is not great for a diesel, and the other bits are common stuff you can get from other applications, hydroboost, etc.

I bought a whole Dodge W250 when I built my 109 CTD and used very little of it. For 2000-2500 I could see you getting a really good engine that's ready to install, instead of a months worth of time to strip and recycle the donor...

Keep in mind that there is the Isuzu 4BD1T that is super common in Isuzu NPRs and has a rover "heritage", plus it has a higher redline than the 4BT. Adapters to fit it to the NV4500 are common now.
Diesel-swapped 1994 80 series Land-cruiser
And a difflocked 4wd turbodiesel Lambo
Old October 4th, 2012, 05:13 PM
grnrvrs
Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilburner View Post
Keep in mind that there is the Isuzu 4BD1T that is super common in Isuzu NPRs and has a rover "heritage", plus it has a higher redline than the 4BT. Adapters to fit it to the NV4500 are common now.
Love my 4BD1T. If I were to start a conversion using a truck engine, it would definitely be a 4BD1T, MSA5G, & LT230 (using Grubs adapter kit from AUS).
Old October 4th, 2012, 07:24 PM
texrover
Jason
71 SIIA, 03 RR, 94 D90 (PO), 83 110

Registry
tjslaughter should know, he had a line on some 4BT's (I think)
1994 D90 ST (PO)
Old October 5th, 2012, 10:29 AM
oilburner
JL
large pile of parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by grnrvrs View Post
Love my 4BD1T. If I were to start a conversion using a truck engine, it would definitely be a 4BD1T, MSA5G, & LT230 (using Grubs adapter kit from AUS).
I'd do the same and am thinking of dropping my 6BT for a 4BD1T in the next truck. I swapped a Mitsubishi 4D3 into my Toyota Landcruiser, which is essentially the same engine (power, torque, size, redline etc) and it's a great engine. Plus the turbo position on the 4BD1T is great for a Rover since you have a straight shot for the exhaust. On the 6BT/4BT the exhaust is on the driveshaft side and it's tough to route past the T case.
Diesel-swapped 1994 80 series Land-cruiser
And a difflocked 4wd turbodiesel Lambo
Old December 13th, 2013, 02:03 AM
Dave Thiessen
Dave Thiessen
85 Land Rover 110

Registry
Not to jack this thread at all but I've got a line of several 4bts in san diego and I've very interested in swapping to the 4bt. I have an Isuzu 4jb1t in my truck. Thoughts on whether it's better to go for the 4bt or pull and rebuild the 4jb1t?

My inclination is to go for the 4bt for ease of maintenance and parts availability here in the states. It's also a significantly larger engine 3.9 as opposed to 2.8). I know you guys are talking 4bd1Ts.... I'd have to do some researchto know the difference.
00 DII- RIP
Old December 13th, 2013, 07:07 AM
Viggen
Jarrod
none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Thiessen View Post
Not to jack this thread at all but I've got a line of several 4bts in san diego and I've very interested in swapping to the 4bt. I have an Isuzu 4jb1t in my truck. Thoughts on whether it's better to go for the 4bt or pull and rebuild the 4jb1t?

My inclination is to go for the 4bt for ease of maintenance and parts availability here in the states. It's also a significantly larger engine 3.9 as opposed to 2.8). I know you guys are talking 4bd1Ts.... I'd have to do some researchto know the difference.
There are massive differences between the 4BD and the 4JB. It is more than just displacement. The 2.8 is a light duty motor while the 4BD is a medium duty diesel. The 4JB is more like a 300TDI in driving mannerisms while the 4BD is heavier, makes more power, and is a truck motor in all that implies. I personally would never put a 4BT in anything. It is tall, heavy (as in big block Chevrolet+ heavy), and loud (as in, forget trying to have a conversation around a running motor). NVH nightmare. Hydraulic mounts help a bit but not that much. The 4BT swap used to be a popular thing in 80 series LCs. People would dump thousands and thousands into their trucks and then within a year or so, they would be up for sale because of NVH.

If you have a 4JB and are happy with it, why replace it? Although the 4BD is a better motor than the 4BT, it is still a little rougher and heavier than the 4JB.
Old December 13th, 2013, 07:48 AM
The Dro
Dro
1988 Ninety

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viggen View Post

There are massive differences between the 4BD and the 4JB. It is more than just displacement. The 2.8 is a light duty motor while the 4BD is a medium duty diesel. The 4JB is more like a 300TDI in driving mannerisms while the 4BD is heavier, makes more power, and is a truck motor in all that implies. I personally would never put a 4BT in anything. It is tall, heavy (as in big block Chevrolet+ heavy), and loud (as in, forget trying to have a conversation around a running motor). NVH nightmare. Hydraulic mounts help a bit but not that much. The 4BT swap used to be a popular thing in 80 series LCs. People would dump thousands and thousands into their trucks and then within a year or so, they would be up for sale because of NVH.

If you have a 4JB and are happy with it, why replace it? Although the 4BD is a better motor than the 4BT, it is still a little rougher and heavier than the 4JB.
Did you get the RRC?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old December 13th, 2013, 09:50 AM
Viggen
Jarrod
none

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dro View Post
Did you get the RRC?
No, it is not worth what he is asking for it. It is pretty solid but needs a complete resto. The interior is a mess due to weather, use, etc... For the money he wants for it, I will keep looking.
Old December 13th, 2013, 06:32 PM
Dave Thiessen
Dave Thiessen
85 Land Rover 110

Registry
Truth be told I'm not happy with the 4jb. It's actually pretty anemic. I used to have a 109 and THAT was a REALLY anemic 4 cyl NA diesel, but the 4JB doesn't seem to be as advertised by folks that advocate the swap. Additionally, the 4JB isn't much for driving conversation either. I have a simple stereo I cant even hear at highway speed. It also sits fairly tall under the hood as well and does not run an intercooler.

Where am I at with it? The engine needs to be rebuilt. Plain and simple. So I'm just trying to evaluate whether I try to fly in all the new engine parts from OZ or the UK to overhaul the thing, or just do an American Diesel swap, probably for the same money.
00 DII- RIP
Old December 13th, 2013, 09:47 PM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
Any reason to not just do a 200/300 tdi? Unless the motor you are looking at is super cheap, I would say stick with a Land Rover diesel. I'm not a purist by any stretch, but I'm also not a big fan of non Land Rover engine swaps. I feel like having a non Land Rover engine in a Defender would devalue it when compared to a Land Rover engine.
Old December 13th, 2013, 10:06 PM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

I have driven a nas 4bt 90, it was a pig, had to start in 2nd gear and very loud. If you want more power, go with another option.

Old December 13th, 2013, 10:11 PM
madcowdungbeetle
Carter
1994 D90 on 37s supreme balla style

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by woldd90 View Post
I have driven a nas 4bt 90, it was a pig, had to start in 2nd gear and very loud. If you want more power, go with another option.
I think we've driven the same one, and aside from the biofuel aspect, I didn't like driving it at all. The novelty of it is cool, but that's about it.
Old December 13th, 2013, 10:22 PM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

Jon, that was the truck... Right now, the 4bt is gone and a Chevy 350 was installed.

Old December 14th, 2013, 11:24 AM
Roving Beetle
Doug
Many come and go - and leak fluids.

There are a lot of tweaks that can be done to a 4JB to get substantially more power and it's a fantastic motor overall. The rev range and smoothness are an excellent match for the rover.

In stock form they are a bit sluggish but with easy adjustments and an intercooler or water/meth injection really wake up.

I owned one living in New Zealand (in a Isuzu bighorn/trooper) it was a TERRIFIC motor.

------ Follow up post added December 14th, 2013 11:25 AM ------

The 4bt is a great motor for what it is.

FOR WHAT IT IS!

It a a heavy duty low revving torque monster. It's a work horse NOT a cruiser and not made for comfort at all.

The Isuzu 4BD1T is a bit of an in between. A bit smoother and quieter and slightly higher rpm range. Still a bit heavy duty, big, heavy and slow revving. Honestly the 4JB or newer 4JG is simply a better match overall in a rover. It's like a 300tdi but with better parts support, cheaper to maintain, has bigger power potential "easily" and overall a much better motor.

Doug

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat