Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old March 30th, 2012, 03:29 PM
kpmatt00
Matthew Mozelak
1985 D-90

Registry
Titling a ROW truck in CT

Hey guys,

My 1985 Defender is in port today - tracking it on my system at work (AISLIVE.COM) - and unloading now. I spoke with the port/custums and it will not be inspected until next Thursday, meaning earliest pickup is next Friday.

My Question is - Does anyone know the easiest way to get a temp title in CT, so that I can drive her home. I am guessing go to DMV with proof of insurance and old canceled title from The Netherlands, bill of sale, and stand in line, then another line, prob a 3rd and 4th line and 50% chance come back and do it again. In all seriousness though, has anyone done this recently and know exactly how to easily do this?

Appreciate the help! Enjoy your weekend,

Matt
Advertisement

Old March 30th, 2012, 05:25 PM
mongosd2
Frank Rafka
01 D2 96 D1 83 110

I drove my 110 cross county on the UK tags with just US insurance....
Old March 30th, 2012, 05:26 PM
Naplm00
Matthew
1983 110 200tdi 3 door soft top

^^ asking for trouble
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 30th, 2012, 05:35 PM
kpmatt00
Matthew Mozelak
1985 D-90

Registry
Unfort it won't have tags - I asked for them just to have as a souvenir, but no dice. I am going to head to DMV on Monday with all the docs I have but if I could avoid the debacle it would be fantastic.
Old March 30th, 2012, 05:39 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpmatt00 View Post
Unfort it won't have tags - I asked for them just to have as a souvenir, but no dice. I am going to head to DMV on Monday with all the docs I have but if I could avoid the debacle it would be fantastic.
Wait...why no tags? The number plates in the UK are part of the car I thought. Who pulled them and wouldn't give them to you?
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old March 30th, 2012, 05:48 PM
kpmatt00
Matthew Mozelak
1985 D-90

Registry
Jason - I will double check but I sent Mike an email and he said he had to keep them. I bought it from RiverHouseMini. I hope I am wrong...No, just checked. He said that the plates had to be handed in upon exportation. So I assume it will be plate-less...
Old March 30th, 2012, 05:58 PM
Jackie Treehorn
A
1985 (legitimately)

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanwind View Post
Wait...why no tags? The number plates in the UK are part of the car I thought. Who pulled them and wouldn't give them to you?
I think he mentioned it was Netherlands origins, so not neccesarily a UK truck. If Riverhouse Mini did it, it is probably a strip-down, rebuilt truck and the plates would have probably been turned in.

Regardless, I agree that while technically legal to drive with UK plates (as long as you're properly insured in the US) you are asking for trouble. You would at a minimum get pulled over by a CT trooper and hassled. I considered driving on my UK plates until they expired, but do you really wantto attract that much attention from the law?

I don't know how it works in CT, but there is a strong liklihood that your local DMV or police will need to verify the VIN when it doesn't come up on the US VIN computor. This would be probably a first step before they issue a state title for the first time. Obviously, they have to create the title before they register it, so I think you're gonna need the truck in your posession BEFORE you try to register it.

Let us know how you make out.
Old March 30th, 2012, 06:04 PM
ipgregory
Ian Gregory
'97 D90 ST #1008

Registry
Can't you just rent a u-haul or something trailer for the trip to bring it home ?
Old March 30th, 2012, 06:11 PM
kpmatt00
Matthew Mozelak
1985 D-90

Registry
Yes, I can trailer it, I was hoping though I didn't have to do that. It may be the easiest way however. Like Jackie said, wait until I have the truck and all paperwork in hand to generate a new title. I'll keep you posted.
Old March 30th, 2012, 06:14 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
I don't think this is a UK truck. Rules regarding original plates may differ by country. But with the truck already in port, it's unfortunately too late to worry about that now.

First thing's first, get insurance on the truck NOW no matter what you do. The fine of driving without plates is small. The fine of driving an uninsured vehicle is huge and is probably a crime of some sort in your state.

In response to the OP, if you have all the original paperwork including import papers, just register the truck and get the temp tags in advance. It's easy. Just do it. You don't need the truck to do it. This is the cheapest option.

If not, then you have several options:

1. Tow the truck home. A uhaul car hauler can easily take a defender anywhere you need it to go. Just do round-trip / in-city move.

2. The absolute worst case option: If the distance isn't long, drive the truck home without plates. You can/will be pulled over and ticketed, but unless you have an outstanding warrant for your arrest, you're drunk, or you have problems dealing with authority, then you will simply be fined. Let the police officer know the circumstances of why you don't have plates.

I can assure you that towing the truck home is cheaper than the tickets.

If you don't have a tow-capable vehicle, then just rent a truck from uhaul.
Old March 30th, 2012, 06:21 PM
tjfslaughter
thomas
Burbon

Drive it home. Take a piece of paper and with a sharpie write "tag application in process"

As long as you are insured you will be fine. If you get pulled and a small ticket fight it in court, I am sure you will get out of it with the extenuating and mitigating circumstances.
Old March 30th, 2012, 07:13 PM
mongosd2
Frank Rafka
01 D2 96 D1 83 110

I drove over 2700 miles, with no problems. I talked with highway patrol and cops along the way and they got a kick out of the truck. The UK MOT is valid and as long as you can prove ownership and have valid insurance, you'll not have a problem. I did a lot of research on this...
Old March 30th, 2012, 10:34 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I have driven 30,000 miles in the US on various european plates. If the truck is insured you can drive on the plates legally for 30 days. Cops avoid them like the plague. Talked to a friend who's a Md trooper and he said that most would figure its a waste of time to write a ticket to a foreigner who won't show in court or pay the ticket. Julian did the Bull Run Rally accross the US with UK plates and was usually 20+ miles or more over posted speed limits. He drove all the way accross the US this way. Lot of gloom and doom here. Enjoy your truck Matt.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Old March 31st, 2012, 02:32 AM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

When you buy a new car in California you don't get plates or a temp tag in the back. You get a piece of paper that is folded and tapped in the corner of the front windshield that literally no one can see. It might be a weird state but no one gets pulled over here for not having plates. I know people who lease cars and never bother putting the plates on for the life of the lease.
Old March 31st, 2012, 11:27 AM
kpmatt00
Matthew Mozelak
1985 D-90

Registry
Thanks for the advice guys. It SOUNDS like the overwhelming advise is just drive it home with insurance. I do have a pickup that can tow, and can borrow or rent a trailer so that may be my best option. I am still going to try to get it registered Monday with all the documents I have - can't hurt, worst case I guess I just waste a lot of time in DMV lines. Since the truck is shipped from The Netherlands apparently the tags have to be surrendered thus there are no tags. The small piece of paper "tag application in progress" is a good idea!
Old March 31st, 2012, 12:57 PM
broadstone
Chris
'84 CSW 90 '74 NADA III '97 CSW 110

Registry
I am in Ct and drove mine from the port with foreign plates and on my ins. policy. You will have enough ignorance to deal with when registering it. You will have to show all import docs. before they will do any of the temp. plates so do not waste you time trying before you even pick it up. Not sure about NL though as never had one from there.
Old March 31st, 2012, 02:17 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

In California when you buy a new car you don't get temp plates and it can take six months to get your plates. You basically get to drive around plateless until the dmv makes your plates. Cops won't pull you over for it here.
Old March 31st, 2012, 05:05 PM
navydevildoc
Neill Thornton
1984 D90 300 Tdi / 1965 Series IIA
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjf
When you buy a new car in California you don't get plates or a temp tag in the back. You get a piece of paper that is folded and tapped in the corner of the front windshield that literally no one can see. It might be a weird state but no one gets pulled over here for not having plates. I know people who lease cars and never bother putting the plates on for the life of the lease.
The late Steve Jobs was famous for this. His Mercedes never had plates, he had an agreement with the dealer to rotate out the car on lease so he never busted the time limit for no plates in CA (I think 90 or 120 days).

Old March 31st, 2012, 05:14 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Weird my first post never showed on my phone.
Old April 1st, 2012, 08:22 AM
steinhnj
Neil Steinhagen
1990 Perentie GS

Matt, have you checked out the Grey Market Registration site for CT DMV?

http://www.ct.gov/dmv/cwp/view.asp?a=804&Q=244900

Looks like you should have no problem getting a temp tag if you want one. It's not crystal clear if you HAVE to get the temp tag from the Wethersfield or Enfield office or not. I would guess that as soon as you step up to the counter at any DMV office that isn't the Wethersfield or Enfiled office and say "Grey Market", the Pavlovian response will be "Sorry Sir, but you'll have to go the Wethersfiled or Enfield office".

My $.02, just drive it. It's not like you're going to be breaking any land speed records. Just bring some basic tools, a cell phone and an EZ Pass. RHD on the NJTP is a bitch.

-Neil

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat