Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old April 1st, 2012, 09:50 AM
kpmatt00
Matthew Mozelak
1985 D-90

Registry
Hi Niel,

I actually didn't see the Grey Market site, but that is interesting. Since it is over 25 years old looks like all I need is a VIN # identification then the proper documentation, bypassing the EPA/DOT/Emissions and safety inspection - and I can get a temp tag to get the truck to the DMV to do so. Thanks for the link - getting pretty excited to pick it up!
Advertisement

Old April 1st, 2012, 12:03 PM
jayz
Jason Zolezzi
85 200tdi 110

do a quick check for burnt bulbs or fuses. You don't want to get pulled over for having a brake light out or something minor like that. Mine had no brake lights or turn signals when it rolled off the transport truck.
Old April 2nd, 2012, 09:34 AM
kpmatt00
Matthew Mozelak
1985 D-90

Registry
For $100 (Uhaul car hauler) I think I may just tow it home and avoid any problems with breakdowns, burnt lights, no plates etc and then deal with it with no time restraints. Hoping it is checked and cleared Thursday by customs - as I was told they only do this once a week on Thursdays in Newark.
Advertisement

Old April 2nd, 2012, 09:50 AM
cthoekenga
Craig
1997 BRG D90

Remember that DMV is closed on Mondays in this great State of CT. Good luck with your new truck.
Old April 2nd, 2012, 09:54 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by steinhnj View Post
Matt, have you checked out the Grey Market Registration site for CT DMV?

http://www.ct.gov/dmv/cwp/view.asp?a=804&Q=244900

Looks like you should have no problem getting a temp tag if you want one. It's not crystal clear if you HAVE to get the temp tag from the Wethersfield or Enfield office or not. I would guess that as soon as you step up to the counter at any DMV office that isn't the Wethersfield or Enfiled office and say "Grey Market", the Pavlovian response will be "Sorry Sir, but you'll have to go the Wethersfiled or Enfield office".

My $.02, just drive it. It's not like you're going to be breaking any land speed records. Just bring some basic tools, a cell phone and an EZ Pass. RHD on the NJTP is a bitch.

-Neil
Neil do even own a Rover ? Powerstroke traitor !

Matt, FWIW a UHaul car transport trailer is $55 day unless you get the optional ins not $100. Rented one last month had it for 3 days and bill was $110. The port auth in most ports usually only gives you 4 days to clear cargo through and remove it before they start charging storage. I haven't had an instance where customs took a week to inspect a truck in Newark. Mine have happend in 3-4 days.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old April 2nd, 2012, 10:34 PM
kpmatt00
Matthew Mozelak
1985 D-90

Registry
Hi Doug - my freight fwd told me that US Customs only inspects cars on Thursdays, and since the truck arrived on a Friday I'd have to wait. I am not going to be too excited if I show up and have to pay storage. I am definitely going to rent the Uhaul car hauler for $55 a day. I did look it up on the website and saw $55 and thought that almost had to be wrong.

Craig - thanks for reminding me!
Old April 3rd, 2012, 04:41 AM
broadstone
Chris
'84 CSW 90 '74 NADA III '97 CSW 110

Registry
Daily storage is cheap at Newark I cannot recall the exact price though, and I think it is only charged after 3 days.
Old April 4th, 2012, 09:44 PM
Stormer
JP
2008 RRSC

Registry
You can get the VIN verification done at any of these locations: http://www.ct.gov/dmv/cwp/view.asp?a=804&q=460746. I did it and it was straightforward.
Old April 4th, 2012, 11:14 PM
gravitysucks
Andy
94 D90

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjf View Post
In California when you buy a new car you don't get temp plates and it can take six months to get your plates. You basically get to drive around plateless until the dmv makes your plates. Cops won't pull you over for it here.

Actually cops pull people over for this all the time in California. It's one of the easiest things to stop someone for besides window tint. Great way to check for stolen cars or people who don't pay their registration.
Old April 4th, 2012, 11:46 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Maybe different in your area. I know people who have driven for years without an issue in los angeles. Coworker is on her third lease since I have worked there and she never has put plates on. I personally think it is a bad idea but I still see it.
Old April 5th, 2012, 01:34 PM
kpmatt00
Matthew Mozelak
1985 D-90

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
You can get the VIN verification done at any of these locations: http://www.ct.gov/dmv/cwp/view.asp?a=804&q=460746. I did it and it was straightforward.

Thanks JP

Looks like my BL isn't even here yet....arrives tomo, and the port is closed, so I'll be picking up Tuesday. I decided to just trailer home and avoid any issues with temp reg or breaking down. Thanks for the help so far. Looking foward to next week.
Old April 10th, 2012, 10:58 PM
kpmatt00
Matthew Mozelak
1985 D-90

Registry
Just wanted to update - I picked her up today at Port of Newark - Not terribly hard once Customs released the truck. Trailered home for act $63 all in and arrived safely. Tomorrow my wife is going to the DMV to get temp reg and start the process of titling. I will add some pics tomo - Keep you posted - Matt
Old April 10th, 2012, 11:23 PM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

Do you hate your wife?

After the pain / effort it took to get mine done I would not wish that on anyone.
Old April 11th, 2012, 09:22 AM
kpmatt00
Matthew Mozelak
1985 D-90

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave_lucas View Post
Do you hate your wife?

After the pain / effort it took to get mine done I would not wish that on anyone.

Do I have to answer? LOL - no she volunteered bc she wants to drive it so bad she is willing to sit in the DMV with an 18 month all and an 2 inches of paperwork. I lucked out!
Old April 17th, 2012, 02:25 PM
kpmatt00
Matthew Mozelak
1985 D-90

Registry
So after 3 trips to the DMV - the truck has a temp reg - I was never acutally given the origional old canceled title - so had to wait for that to come. And the best part, my wife made every trip. Now to get it titled and registered. Apparently the VIN came back as a 2010 in the system, which isn't correct and my wife was told everything had to be done in Wethersfield, CT. Let's hope not - Bridgeport/Norwalk is MUCH closer!
Old April 30th, 2012, 12:28 PM
kpmatt00
Matthew Mozelak
1985 D-90

Registry
Now another problem, Can only find one VIN # on the truck - which was in the engine bay on the passenger side near the firewall. Any ideas where else to look? Everything else was painted over - frame/body...ideas? thanks.
Old April 30th, 2012, 12:54 PM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

If it has the original frame, it should have the VIN stamped on the frame by the front right tire.

Old April 30th, 2012, 01:01 PM
kpmatt00
Matthew Mozelak
1985 D-90

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by woldd90 View Post
If it has the original frame, it should have the VIN stamped on the frame by the front right tire.

It does but it is coated in this black protective coating, i will scrape it off i guess around the front right wheel now and get back. Thanks.

------ Follow up post added April 30th, 2012 01:10 PM ------

BOOM!!!! Thank you!
Old April 30th, 2012, 01:11 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Is there an aluminum vin plate riveted onto the bracket behind the brake booster ? Should be. Since your truck came out of the Netherlands a coating on the frame is to be expected- use some laquer thinner and you should be able to remove it and read the stampings on the frame.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Old April 30th, 2012, 02:04 PM
kpmatt00
Matthew Mozelak
1985 D-90

Registry
Thanks Scott and Doug - found the vin stamped on the frame inside the front right wheel. VERY light in some spots, and took the mechanic about 7-8 min of looking at it with a light to say "OK" and sign the slip. ONe more step closer. Thanks for the help!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat