Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old March 16th, 2013, 07:34 AM
solarguy
Abraham Bell
1985 Defender 110 Tithonus
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Tithonus

So how many Tithonus owners do we have on the forum? Let's see some good pics of your truck.
I will be working on my truck this weekend and I will take a couple good ones of mine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 16th, 2013, 11:26 AM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

87 Tithonus here. Mine pulls up at the dock in about three weeks.
Old March 16th, 2013, 11:56 AM
Michael110
Michael Dickin
1986 110 Tithonus - Now Sadly Sold

Registry
My 1986 LHD Tithonus hard top.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20130316_114218_884[1].jpg
Views:	149
Size:	121.6 KB
ID:	68233   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20130316_114235_081[1].jpg
Views:	342
Size:	103.1 KB
ID:	68234  

Name:	IMG_20130316_114312_616[1].jpg
Views:	173
Size:	130.6 KB
ID:	68235   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20130316_114352_634[1].jpg
Views:	221
Size:	53.3 KB
ID:	68236  

Name:	IMG_20130316_114430_256[1].jpg
Views:	148
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	68237   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20130316_114602_597[1].jpg
Views:	170
Size:	81.2 KB
ID:	68238  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 16th, 2013, 12:06 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris snell View Post
87 Tithonus here. Mine pulls up at the dock in about three weeks.
pics?
Old March 16th, 2013, 01:54 PM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

Michael, your truck looks really clean. I probably asked you this already but did you buy directly from Witham? How did they rate the condition? When I bought, I asked them for the cleanest truck on the lot. The salesman told me that he had 2,000 trucks on the lot and he wasn't about to go check them all...but promised that he would pick me a nice one. We'll see.

Michael and Abe: Did your trucks come with the soft top or did you buy yours extra? Mine is coming with the fiberglass top but I need to locate a soft top and drop tailgate for the summer.

Finally, did your trucks come with the Webasto heater kit?
Old March 16th, 2013, 02:17 PM
Michael110
Michael Dickin

Registry
Quote:
Michael, your truck looks really clean. I probably asked you this already but did you buy directly from Witham? How did they rate the condition? When I bought, I asked them for the cleanest truck on the lot. The salesman told me that he had 2,000 trucks on the lot and he wasn't about to go check them all...but promised that he would pick me a nice one. We'll see.

Michael and Abe: Did your trucks come with the soft top or did you buy yours extra? Mine is coming with the fiberglass top but I need to locate a soft top and drop tailgate for the summer.

Finally, did your trucks come with the Webasto heater kit?
Yeah was bought direct, an auction actually. Was described as; "Looks and drives fantastic, no faults recorded" and so far I've been perfectly happy. They have probably got 2000 land rovers, I doubt they have 2000 1987 LHD Tithonus 110s though, as far as I know there are less than 3000 in total, and most are RHD.

My 110 doesn't have a soft top, I'm quiet happy with it as a hard top for now. I've not seen a Tithonus with the Webasto heater kit fitted from the MOD. The only extra heated MOD land rovers I've seen are the Winterised ones, which have little radiators in the rear load space and extra heater ducting in the cab.
Old March 16th, 2013, 09:36 PM
solarguy
Abraham Bell
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Michael very nice truck. Chris yours looks nice also.
My truck came with a hard top and I bought my soft top off of ebay. I lucked out as I bought everything I needed from one guy. I got the tailgate and all of the bits for that from Safari HP. My truck doesn't have a wabaso.
Old March 16th, 2013, 10:00 PM
Michael110
Michael Dickin

Registry
Thanks, I like the way the soft tops look but keeping mine hard top for now, a little more secure. Might go down the soft top route if I end up moving to Texas later in the year. Going to try keeping it broadly military in appearance, but adding bits here and there as funds allow. Currently got a Rad Haz insulation kit added, and MUD UK snow cowl and dash console which with a bit of playing just manages to fit the 6 way light switch without taking up more than one DIN mounting space.
Old March 16th, 2013, 10:25 PM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

I will keep an eye out for the soft top on ebay and also ask David @ Urban Land Cruisers about one. Witham was useless for getting one. I'm pretty sure that there's a pile of soft tops and XZLs on their property somewhere but those guys are in the commodities business. The less customer interaction for them, the better.

------ Follow up post added March 16th, 2013 07:25 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael110 View Post
Currently got a Rad Haz insulation kit added
What's that?
Old March 16th, 2013, 10:45 PM
Michael110
Michael Dickin

Registry
Quote:
I will keep an eye out for the soft top on ebay and also ask David @ Urban Land Cruisers about one. Witham was useless for getting one. I'm pretty sure that there's a pile of soft tops and XZLs on their property somewhere but those guys are in the commodities business. The less customer interaction for them, the better.

------ Follow up post added March 16th, 2013 07:25 PM ------

What's that?
You are spot on about Withams Chris, their primary business is selling lots of vehicles and equipment wholesale, if you want to buy two dozen armored cars, or 100 Bedford trucks then I'm sure their sales patter improves. That's not to say they are not a good company to deal with, they just aren't really a retail dealer. Withams are the sole UK military equipment disposal agents, and as such they sell directly from the military to all the other military surplus retailers, like P Blanchard's or L. Jackson.

As for the Rad Haz kit, it's basically a kit of three insulating panels that fit inside the hard top, designed to protect the Land Rovers crew and those operating the radios inside FFR (Fitted For Radio) vehicles from the effects of the radiation emitted by the high power radio antennas. It was made for the military by Trim Technology in the UK, (Same company who make most of the seat covers, dash covers, snow blinds etc for the military). Each panel consists of a sheet of closed cell foam, with aluminium sheet on both sides, all covered in a green pvc cover. The kit fits inside the hard top and is why in the interior photos of my 110 it looks like its a soft top, but outside its a hard top. They happen to have the added benefit of insulating the hard top against heat, cold, vibration and road noise to a small extent. There are a few sellers offering them on ebay.co.uk as brand new (sealed packets) for very little money (mine cost about 10 uk pounds). They cost the military about 400 pounds each.
Old March 16th, 2013, 11:04 PM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael110 View Post
As for the Rad Haz kit, it's basically a kit of three insulating panels that fit inside the hard top, designed to protect the Land Rovers crew and those operating the radios inside FFR (Fitted For Radio) vehicles from the effects of the radiation emitted by the high power radio antennas.
Interesting. Although my 50W HF radio isn't going to put out that much EMR, the insulation abilities would be nice fo when I sleep in the truck. I will have to add it to my UK goodies shopping list, if it can be palletized easily.
Old March 16th, 2013, 11:16 PM
Michael110
Michael Dickin

Registry
Quote:
Interesting. Although my 50W HF radio isn't going to put out that much EMR, the insulation abilities would be nice fo when I sleep in the truck. I will have to add it to my UK goodies shopping list, if it can be palletized easily.
Comes in a big flat plastic pack, so it should palletize nicely. I got mine from here;
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MILITARY-L...item4ac27ac77f

The pic in the listing shows the kit kitted to a WOLF, and also shows a rolled up fume curtain between the cab and the rear which isn't part of the kit. The kit does come with all the fitting straps, bolts nuts and Velcro fasteners needed to fit it though. The kits don't come with instructions, but if you need them I have .pdf copies of the instructions for the 90 kit, which is the same except it only comes with one less panel.
Old March 16th, 2013, 11:23 PM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

0.99. I'm loving it.
Old March 17th, 2013, 12:07 AM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

I doubt that I will have the space to dedicate to this gear but damn, it looks sweet.

Old March 17th, 2013, 12:09 AM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by solarguy View Post
Chris yours looks nice also.
Have you seen pics I/we haven't or something? Chris, post some pics already.
Old March 17th, 2013, 12:57 AM
solarguy
Abraham Bell
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Come on Chris show them the pics. It's sweet!
Old March 17th, 2013, 07:34 AM
mightymo
matthew m
'95 Disco 300TDI

Registry
More pics! More pics!
Questions for Michael and Abraham (or other Tithonus owners)... When you received your trucks, where they "drive ready" with no issues? Or did you have to do some mechanical work on your end?

I'm really interested in contacting Witham, but what to get the scoop from those that have bought trucks from them.
Old March 17th, 2013, 09:22 AM
solarguy
Abraham Bell
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I drove mine the same day I got it. I had a leaking hub seal, and a steering box that needed adjustment. I later cored my radiator as I had a very vey small pin hole leak. Great ever since.
Old March 17th, 2013, 09:34 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I think I can guess which salesman you guys had @ Witham's. Some are far more helpfull than others. Some will go out and take copiuos pictures of a truck and send them others will just "pick one" for you.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old March 17th, 2013, 09:42 AM
Michael110
Michael Dickin

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by 130Tdi View Post
There was aguy on ebay UK that went by the name of Overstocks or something to that effect who was selling the insulation kits new in the wrapper. Cabell bought one for 40 quid. I don't think he ever fit it.

I think I can guess which salesman you guys had @ Witham's. Some are far more helpfull than others. Some will go out and take copiuos pictures of a truck and send them others will just "pick one" for you.
That's the same seller I got mine from Doug, he's still listing them, they go for between 9 and 30 depending on who you ate bidding against.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
tithonus