Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old April 17th, 2012, 03:03 AM
diesel_jim
Jamie Austin
1992 110 Td5 CSW & 1989 MB G-Wagen

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukoffroad View Post
Holy Alternators Batman, that thing is HUGE. Congrats

24v 90amp (well, nearer 28 volt usually)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 17th, 2012, 10:16 AM
ersatzknarf
Frank
'96 hybrid

Quote:
Originally Posted by diesel_jim View Post
24v 90amp (well, nearer 28 volt usually)
Do they paint it that colour to make it easier to find ?

kidding !

I like the looks of the Tithonus.

Is that the battery bank in the back, just behind the front seats ?

Glad to hear that the purchase is working out.
Old April 18th, 2012, 10:07 PM
solarguy
Abraham Bell
1985 Defender 110 Tithonus
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Picked up the truck today. Put about 70 miles on it and it did very well. It is better than I expected!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 18th, 2012, 10:09 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by solarguy View Post
Picked up the truck today. Put about 70 miles on it and it did very well. It is better than I expected!!
Pictures!!!
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old April 18th, 2012, 10:21 PM
solarguy
Abraham Bell
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I drove 6 hours and then I went to state farm and then I sat in the dmv for a hour. I couldn't stand it anymore I had to go for a drive in it. I was having so much fun I ran out of daylight. I will get some this weekend.
Old April 19th, 2012, 07:31 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Congrats! This is about the best result you could ask for.
Quote:
Originally Posted by solarguy View Post
Old April 24th, 2012, 09:44 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Abe so was I right that you didn't need the import docs to title it in Florida ?

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Old March 25th, 2016, 06:41 PM
RyanNX211
Tom
none

There are two for sale in Greenville.
Maserati Lotus Greenville | Vehicles for sale in Greenville, SC 29607Maserati, Lotus

One is listed as a Tithonus and the other isn't. Is the milage rolled back when they are restored.
Why are ANY of them LHD?
How reliable are they? I go to work before the snow plow and am looking for something I can park in bad areas.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2016-03-25 at 6.35.36 PM.png
Views:	69
Size:	151.4 KB
ID:	145927  
Old March 25th, 2016, 08:04 PM
Daddymow
Raub A.
1987 D110 Tithonus

Registry
1. Who knows the true mileage of any 25 year old import.

2. British military absolutely has LHD vehicles for operations in LHD countries such Norway, France, Germany, etc, etc.

3. The Tithonus trucks were frame off refurbished but still sport the crappy 68hp 2.5na rattle trap. They were also fitted with Exmore seats, mat system and a Safety Devices cage among other things. Every Tith I have seen has had an absolutely solid frame and been very clean. So they are a good starting point because you don't have the rust and corrosion associated with most 25+ year old Rovers.

As far as reliability goes they are 25 year old Rovers and none of them are without their issues. If you drive it on roads where they apply salt it will corrode quickly. I wouldn't.

As for parking in "bad areas" I doubt anyone would steal it because it is a stick and few car thieving millennials know how to operate a 5 speed much less get that shit box 2.5na to start.
Old March 25th, 2016, 08:47 PM
RyanNX211
Tom
none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddymow View Post
1. Who knows the true mileage of any 25 year old import.
Yes, but was it their practice to do this?

Quote:
2. British military absolutely has LHD vehicles for operations in LHD countries such Norway, France, Germany, etc, etc.

3. The Tithonus trucks were frame off refurbished but still sport the crappy 68hp 2.5na rattle trap. They were also fitted with Exmore seats, mat system and a Safety Devices cage among other things. Every Tith I have seen has had an absolutely solid frame and been very clean. So they are a good starting point because you don't have the rust and corrosion associated with most 25+ year old Rovers.

As far as reliability goes they are 25 year old Rovers and none of them are without their issues. If you drive it on roads where they apply salt it will corrode quickly. I wouldn't.

As for parking in "bad areas" I doubt anyone would steal it because it is a stick and few car thieving millennials know how to operate a 5 speed much less get that shit box 2.5na to start.
Thanks, I've got almost 250K city miles on an original clutch. What makes it so hard to start?

------ Follow up post added March 25th, 2016 06:49 PM ------

What's radio ready?
Do they have heat?
Old March 25th, 2016, 09:13 PM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

Quite honestly, mileage is a useless number on any Defender except a collectable NAS.

Buy on condition, not milage. You want a good frame and a straight body.

These trucks aren't hard to start; don't worry about that.

Never heard of "radio ready" but Fitted For Radio (FFR) is a term often used to describe these trucks, as they come off of military service with a rack mounted at the front of the tub, behind the front seats, that was used to hold the Clansman radio set when they were in service. They also come with a secondary 24V alternator for running the radios, antenna mounts, some intercom junction boxes, a battery box in the tub, and a few other accoutrements of a military radio truck. Unless you're buying this to show it off at military heritage auto shows, you'll probably strip this stuff out soon after buying, since it's basically useless and takes up a lot of space.

They do have heat but it is feeble. These trucks have diesel motors that run very cool. On top of that, the blower fans are weak and most importantly, the trucks have no insulation and are drafty. You will freeze your ass off in the winter.

I suggest you spend some time doing research here before buying. These trucks are not for everyone and have many drawbacks when compared to a Jeep or Toyota. They are as barebones as it gets and you'll know it the first time you drive one on a cold day.

Good luck.

/
/
/
/
Old March 25th, 2016, 09:48 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
holy ancient thread batman

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Old March 25th, 2016, 10:09 PM
GuamPilot
Mike & Carrie Wendt
1986 90 2.5NA

Registry
Tom (RyanNX211)

I've put 27k miles on my 1986 ExMoD 90. While it isn't a Tithonus, it has the same 2.5NA. I really don't understand the vitriol directed at this engine. Yes, it's quirky and crude, but I've come to respect it and yes, enjoy driving it.

When the weather is cold, you'll sit on the glow plugs for 2 minutes or more. The engine noise is LOUD! It's only 68HP so don't plan to pass anything. If you want to attempt to keep up with highway traffic you MUST put in a 1.2 LT230 transfer case (cheap from a salvage Discovery or other LR.) At sea level and a level road I can cruise at 65mph. Maybe even 70. TRUE!

You will notice significantly less power above 5000' elevation (and it smokes more.) I've had no problem going over 10,000 foot passes (but you need patience.)

When I told the seller I planned to drive it from FL to AZ, he seriously tried to talk me out of buying it. The 2.5NA isn't for everyone. As long as you understand it's limitations I say don't let anyone talk you out of buying one.

Best advice, try to find one to drive so you know the truth. And if you don't like the 2.5NA, there are plenty of viable engine swaps.

That being said, I just bought a 1988 110 station wagon with a 300Tdi. WOW!!! What a difference! A much more safisticated, smooth and quiet engine.

Enough rambling. Questions?

Mike
Old March 25th, 2016, 10:20 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
so Ive encountered one N/A and it fired right up and got down the road with ease. I was impressed by this little engine, it even smelled better than a 7.3 when I was behind it. Surely they cant be that bad.

Im not sure what engine Raub has in his truck but it sounds like the old Peterbilt tender with the big cummins (straight pipes)
Old March 25th, 2016, 10:25 PM
GuamPilot
Mike & Carrie Wendt
1986 90 2.5NA

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuamPilot View Post
Tom (RyanNX211)

I've put 27k miles on my 1986 ExMoD 90.
Typo! I've put 37k on it!

Mike
Old March 26th, 2016, 05:47 AM
rovertrader
Dale
Tithonus 110, D-90, 109 S/T 5-door

I have had numerous 2.5 NAD trucks over the last 20 years. Solid and reliable! Hard to start- yes if cold, below 35-40, otherwise no issue.
I have driven cross country several times in them, not fast, but steady! It is all about matching expectation with reality.
I have seen similar results as above- sea level, solid 65 mph. Uphill, varies as to incline. Crossing the Rockies, painfully slow at 10+k' elev. Wheeling at altitude in low range, great! I am not sure about the 1.2 case, as it seems it would lack the power to turn steeper gears. However, going to 8.25 XZLs at or near sea level is sweet spot. I would not recommend wide tires, but stay tall/skinny.
My Tithonus is one of my favorite trucks, and I drive it near daily!

Old March 26th, 2016, 07:17 AM
Howski
Kevin
2002 Land Rover Discovery II

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanNX211 View Post
They've both been there since I moved to Greenville in the fall, although I haven't checked them out. The two of them seem to be quite overpriced compared to many that come up for sale on here
Old March 26th, 2016, 07:24 AM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howski View Post
They've both been there since I moved to Greenville in the fall, although I haven't checked them out. The two of them seem to be quite overpriced compared to many that come up for sale on here
Spent lots of time on Laurens when there in Feb dealing with the inlaws Volvo debacle. Not Volvo's fault, we need to take the cars away from my FIL. I'll be back shortly.
Old March 26th, 2016, 07:25 AM
solarguy
Abraham Bell
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Great trucks. Lots of fun and always a head turner.
I have had mine for almost 4 years. When we got it my new bride and I drove it to Missouri for our honeymoon. About 1200 miles one way with the 2.5na. Solid little slow motors and gearing to match.
Put a 200 or 300tdi in it and it becomes a blast to drive while returning good fuel economy.
Although I haven't seen the trucks for sale , in general they provide a good bang for the buck. It seems to me the prices on those is pretty high. A good solid Tithonus here in the U.S. should run about $16-20k. Import one and you can expect to spend $13-15k. If you have any questions please ask via PM. Good luck.
Old March 26th, 2016, 10:28 AM
Daddymow
Raub A.
1987 D110 Tithonus

Registry
For the record I was referring to a young, inner-city would be auto thief in a "bad area" trying to steal an exMoD truck with a 2.5na in it. But for the record I do think the 2.5na in a Tith Defender 110 with the heavy cage is ridiculously under powered. It wasn't too bad in my 90 but hated it in my 110 that I drove up and down the eastern seaboard several times. But it is well known here that I dislike the 2.5na.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
tithonus