Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old March 7th, 2009, 02:41 PM
LenB
Len Bruffett
NAS '97 ST /SW-POE Config

Registry
Titainium Roll Cage

I had some extra dough to spend on my truck so I went to Merlin Metalworks (famous for making great titianium bicycle frames) and had them fab up a new NAS SW roll cage for my truck to replace stock the mild steel unit. They threw in the head badge for free!

Just kidding....last week I sold off one of my old merlin bicycle frames to buy a new lens for my camera and saved the headbadge.... it looks pretty cool on the cage.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	merlinbadge.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	96.4 KB
ID:	18130  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 7th, 2009, 03:18 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
You're a man of diverse tastes Len B!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old March 7th, 2009, 03:28 PM
LenB
Len Bruffett

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC
You're a man of diverse tastes Len B!
Hi Jim,

I guess that is true... I like to eat a good hot dog as much as I like to eat a nice piece of grilled salmon! I'll be out on the New Jersey shore near Atantic City this week working on some cancer treatment hardware.... If I were a little closer I'd stop in and say hi.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 8th, 2009, 12:14 AM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Merlin is high droool. Looks cool but that badge almost doesn't go with the mig welds of the LR

Was the one you sold made in Cambridge? Not as nice as a ti frame but I have a '97 Rhygin sitting in the shop set up w/ 1 gear.
Old March 8th, 2009, 12:59 AM
LenB
Len Bruffett

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by don
Merlin is high droool. Looks cool but that badge almost doesn't go with the mig welds of the LR

Was the one you sold made in Cambridge? Not as nice as a ti frame but I have a '97 Rhygin sitting in the shop set up w/ 1 gear.
Yes, those welds on the roll cage look more like "tooth paste" than a weld!
The frame I sold was an old merlin mountain frame made in '95. They were in Cambridge then. I understand Lightspeed bought the company some time ago. I replaced my merlin with a Seven in 2003. Rob Vandermark designed my old merlin and also designed the Verve I ride today - (straight gauge tubing) build to stand the test of time. The merlin I sold looked like new - no dings or dents ( I cleaned it up with some fine scotchbright). I replaced it because it used a 1" steerer tube on the fork and it was getting hard to find a quality suspension fork with 1" steering tubes.

I agree, a single speed is fun and simple..... you never have to think about gear selection! I also have a single speed bike I use daily to walk the dog and for ridding down to the store. It is an old '91 Bontrager with horizontal rear dropouts. It is a pretty slick setup - It still has the original powdercoat gray finish and a newer custom phil wood single speed hubset/wheelset. This frame was hand made when Keith was making limited production frames (450 to 500) a year. I use to do a lot of his photography work for him in the early 90s - that is when I got the frame from him.

Old March 10th, 2009, 08:59 AM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Great stuff Len! That Ti Seven sounds sweet. Their stuff is pure amazing.

And you have a '91 Bontrager w/ horizontal drops?! Now that is a something else. I've always like the KB stuff from the 90's.
Old March 10th, 2009, 01:28 PM
LenB
Len Bruffett

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by don
Great stuff Len! That Ti Seven sounds sweet. Their stuff is pure amazing.

And you have a '91 Bontrager w/ horizontal drops?! Now that is a something else. I've always like the KB stuff from the 90's.
Yea, the horizontal rear droputs were designed so the rider could "tune" the wheelbase length to preference. Shorter wheelbase for zippy handling ot longer wheelbase for a less twitchy ride. They were made of a super hardend, lazer cut steel plate. With the horizontal dropsouts I shorten my chain to length, then pull the rear hub/axle back further into the droput to tension the chain. I see you are Rumson, NJ. I am currently doing some system testing on radiation treatment hardware at the Atlantic Care hospital near Absecon (southern NJ). We work in the evenings from about 5 pm to 3 am when the hospital is not using their Oncology hardware.

I have seen a butt load jeeps out hear but no defenders yet.

Old March 10th, 2009, 02:32 PM
ini88
Daniel Marcello
Alloy+Grit Creative Director

Merlin always made some sweet bikes. Did they ever make the frame with no pivots with the rear shock? or was that Dean? I though that was an awesome idea in using frame flex! I have switched and gone the Downhill route. XC got too boring for me.

Don and I will come get you and you can ride with us through Pine Barrens this weekend
show you what east coast mud and swamps look like.
Old March 10th, 2009, 02:59 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Len,
Being from Jersey and loving Ringwood riding I say you take that offer and run with it.
Old March 10th, 2009, 06:26 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ini88
Merlin always made some sweet bikes. Did they ever make the frame with no pivots with the rear shock? or was that Dean? I though that was an awesome idea in using frame flex! I have switched and gone the Downhill route. XC got too boring for me.

Don and I will come get you and you can ride with us through Pine Barrens this weekend
haha, I got my run in last weekend w/ the crew. In CO this week and have to stay local this weekend - but would love to go again. Yeah, there are some wheeling in NJ - it's different but still fun.

yeah, I grew up racing BMX then thought I was too old and started XC riding. Like you said - a little too boring so now I ride DJ's and cross-stuntry even tho I'm an old fart. As Len is down south, a really fun place that should be dry soon is Allaire. And I can show you some fun poppers in and around the park.

Follow-up Post:

Found a pic of an Allaire local on one of the poppers there...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	allaire.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	175.6 KB
ID:	18245  
Old March 11th, 2009, 12:21 AM
LenB
Len Bruffett

Registry
Quote:

Yes, early merlins (mine as well) were rigid frames. I even rode my merlin for the first 4 years with a early bontrager rigid fork. The bike did single track like you were on rails, and yes the frame would flex vertically to dampen the ride. Most of the suspension was done with tall sidewall tires and air pressure control. Just enough pressure so you would not pinch flat!

I appreciate the offer - but I will likely be working through saturday - My work schedule is fubar - we have to go into the hospital after their workday is done....We start at 5pm and we usually leave at 3 am and sleep till 11 am - not a lot of freetime - I am impressed with the open space though, a lot of trees and sandy soil. I went out for a couple hours to visit one of the local wildlife refuges - I saw a lot of swamp land-

I would like to come back in the summer when everything is green.

Old March 11th, 2009, 11:41 AM
ini88
Daniel Marcello
Alloy+Grit Creative Director

all good Len. nex time you are out we can go some off roading in NJ.

Don do you ride Diablo at all? I try to get up there each weekend in the summer. I am actually redoing Brooklyn Machine Work's website right now and Joe is giving me a Racelink frame in exchange! So I will have my new Racelink and old TMX as a spare that someone can use if they want to go riding sometime.

And for Pines... we need to coordinate with Gordie better! it seems like whenever i go with Gordie you can't and when you go I'm never around. We need two Defenders in the Pines next time
Old March 12th, 2009, 10:02 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Quote:
all good Len. nex time you are out we can go some off roading in NJ.

Don do you ride Diablo at all? I try to get up there each weekend in the summer. I am actually redoing Brooklyn Machine Work's website right now and Joe is giving me a Racelink frame in exchange! So I will have my new Racelink and old TMX as a spare that someone can use if they want to go riding sometime.

And for Pines... we need to coordinate with Gordie better! it seems like whenever i go with Gordie you can't and when you go I'm never around. We need two Defenders in the Pines next time
I haven't been to Diablo in a couple years. That place is fun but I can never seem to get a full day for it in the summer. Maybe this year as I'm sure they are adding even more features.

That BMW sounds nice - I've had a couple HT's from those guys - burly stuff. You need to post a pic of that thing for the D90 folks when you get it as it's the bicycle version of Buck's 90 and I'm sure a lot of people will appreciate it :D

And 10-4 on getting with Gordie at the same time. I should be able to do more Pine trips this year - I like the Disco guys and all but wouldn't mind rolling with another 90 - haha

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
cage