Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old November 19th, 2012, 10:52 AM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Tires for a Suburban

I will need some new rubber for the Chevy very soon. Seems to be some other full size vehicle owners on the board so wondering what they have been running.

Vitals:

Stock size: 275/55/20 (32")

Questions:

-I am thinking a wider 32" like a 305/50/20, or could I go a 33" like a 275/60/20 or 305/55/20 without messing things up?
-Having MT's on my 90, of course I am thinking of going to an AT - I want an do all kind of tire - run thru snow well and go on the highway solid also. Or should I just go another all-season closer to the stock tires?
- Anyone have experience with the Falken Rocky Mountains? I have a riding buddy that is running them on his Yukon and he likes them: http://www.discounttiredirect.com/di...yp=Truck%2FSUV
- Anyone with Nitto Terra Grapplers? I can get those in a 285/55/20 which is a hair taller/wider. Just not sure how good Nitto tires are.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 19th, 2012, 11:21 AM
JohnsD90
John
74 SIII 88", 88 110, 91 110

Registry
Considering you have a Defender already, I would just run a normal set of all-season, i like my Michelin M/S's on my Series, I have Hankook Dynapro's on my 4runner, and I have never had a problem going through snow at all. The Allseasons will be cheaper to buy and probably give better fuel economy, so why burn the money if you already have another cool truck.
Old November 19th, 2012, 11:29 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Dale Knepp- Rovertrader here has a burban and is running pretty good size rubber. Ping him. Not sure what engine he's got.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 19th, 2012, 11:35 AM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnsD90 View Post
Considering you have a Defender already, I would just run a normal set of all-season, i like my Michelin M/S's on my Series, I have Hankook Dynapro's on my 4runner, and I have never had a problem going through snow at all. The Allseasons will be cheaper to buy and probably give better fuel economy, so why burn the money if you already have another cool truck.
Yeah, the more I am looking I am thinking the stock 275/55/20's are the way to go. And like you said the fuel economy aspect of it and the Suburban is the road-trip vehicle so it gets the most miles.

As for cost, seems like if I can get a tire in the $200/ea range I will be more than happy.

What DynaPros do you have?

Looking at TireRack's survey - the Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armors got nice marks all around.

Also thinking Cooper Discoverer AT/3 and that Falken Rocky Mountain

Edit/Add: Just came across the Michelin LTX M/S2 - will add that to the list - seems to have good marks
Old November 19th, 2012, 11:53 AM
rover26c
Lee
1994 D90 ST

http://www.tirebuyer.com/searchpage?text=275+55+20

[QUOTE=don;388622] As for cost, seems like if I can get a tire in the $200/ea range I will be more than happy.
Old November 19th, 2012, 12:33 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

My father gets 70k or so out of BFG long trails on his sub, but they are 16in tires.

I like them in snow, and he drives the snot out of it in all weather (we live north of Buffalo).

$177 in stock size at tirerack

BFGoodrich Long Trail T/A Tour

Crossover/SUV Touring All-Season

Consumer Rating

Warranty Rating
Size: P275/55R20
Sidewall Style: Blackwall
Serv. Desc: 111T
UTQG:
580 A B
Price: $177.00 (each)
Estimated Availability: Fewer than 12, Additional Due 11/19/12
Estimated Arrival: Get Estimate
Qty:
Optional Road Hazard Program: Add $17.49 per tire

Add Road Hazard: $69.96
Set of 4: $708.00

Add To CartShipping
QuoteAdd To
Wish List
Old November 19th, 2012, 12:39 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
I run these on my suburban. Im on my 3rd set and get 50K-60K out of them. That being said, I don't run DUBS.

http://www.bfgoodrichtires.com/tire-...n/tire-details

-Jeff
I know, thing is you can't get any decent interior without getting DUBZ. I was almost going to go -2 and down to an 18" but don't want to spend for new rims. The stockers aren't horrible for a 20" as they are polished and look typical Chevy.

Thanks for the intel. I've been reading up a bunch and kinda going toward the Goodyears. Might make a trip to the Goodyear store tomorrow and see what they look like in person.
Old November 19th, 2012, 12:41 PM
JohnsD90
John

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by don View Post
Yeah, the more I am looking I am thinking the stock 275/55/20's are the way to go. And like you said the fuel economy aspect of it and the Suburban is the road-trip vehicle so it gets the most miles.

As for cost, seems like if I can get a tire in the $200/ea range I will be more than happy.

What DynaPros do you have?

Looking at TireRack's survey - the Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armors got nice marks all around.

Also thinking Cooper Discoverer AT/3 and that Falken Rocky Mountain

Edit/Add: Just came across the Michelin LTX M/S2 - will add that to the list - seems to have good marks
I have the Hankook DynaPro HT's 245/75/R16, i like them, the tread is very deep compared to other tires. These should last a long time, i pulled them off of a utility van, a believe they were setup to get many miles.

I am running 2 Michelin M/S and 2 Michelin M/S 2's on the Series 3 and i went up and down some wicked hills in my town with 6" of snow in 2nd gear without hesitation, i ever turned around on one. They aren't the coolest looking tire, but they get the job done. Michelin's usually get 50-60k out of a set, i doubt i will keep them till they run out as they will probably dry rot first cause they're on the series.
Old November 19th, 2012, 12:42 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij View Post
My father gets 70k or so out of BFG long trails on his sub, but they are 16in tires.

I like them in snow, and he drives the snot out of it in all weather (we live north of Buffalo).

$177 in stock size at tirerack

BFGoodrich Long Trail T/A Tour
Thanks Ron - man, can't beat the price. Will look into those some more as well.
Old November 19th, 2012, 01:29 PM
Jpayne
Jeff Payne
'83 110 3 Door

Registry
I have the Nitto Terra Grappler in 285/70 R17 on my Titan and have been very pleased. I have about 30k on them and they look like they could go that far still. It surprised me how good they were in the snow. Fresh tracks down residential streets in 8" of snow no problem. Seem to be good rain or shine.
Old November 19th, 2012, 02:01 PM
jefhuf
Jeff Huff
'94 D90 ST #655
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I ran Nitto Terra Grapplers on an F150 and then switched to Goodyear Wrangler SA's when they wore out...loved both but the Goodyears were awesome. I got about 40K miles out of the Nittos and closer to 50K miles on the GY. I also like the Cooper Zeon's I run on the LR3 (the ones I had on when I came up your place earlier this year). I have about 35K miles on them and still around 40% tread remaining
Old November 19th, 2012, 06:01 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by jefhuf View Post
I ran Nitto Terra Grapplers on an F150 and then switched to Goodyear Wrangler SA's when they wore out...loved both but the Goodyears were awesome. I got about 40K miles out of the Nittos and closer to 50K miles on the GY. I also like the Cooper Zeon's I run on the LR3 (the ones I had on when I came up your place earlier this year). I have about 35K miles on them and still around 40% tread remaining
Thanks Jeff - good to hear you liked the Goodyears as I am leaning towards them. I know how you drive so I bet they would be plenty fine for me

The Cooper's did look good on the LR3 - I remember thinking how much better your rig looked vs. the stock LR3's I see all the time in town. Plus my youngest is named Cooper, so that would be pretty cool.

Honestly, seems like every brand has a solid tire out there in that size. It might come down to availability, price and even looks (as I am a sucker for cool looking tires). Going to stop at the Goodyear place tomorrow and see what's up. Will keep the thread updated. Thanks all for the info :
Old November 19th, 2012, 07:54 PM
jefhuf
Jeff Huff
'94 D90 ST #655
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
FWIW, I found the best deals on the Goodyears at places like Tirerack.com or similar. The local shop wanted me to bend over!
Old November 20th, 2012, 07:37 AM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Quote:
FWIW, I found the best deals on the Goodyears at places like Tirerack.com or similar. The local shop wanted me to bend over!
Tirerack does have a nice price on them and had the best price on the mtr/k's on my 90. Part of the reason to stop at a local shop is to see what they look like in person. And just to see what the total cost would be with mount and balance
Old November 20th, 2012, 08:09 AM
bossman429
Adrian
1988 90

Registry
Discounttiredirect.com has always had the best price for me. But then again i usually am ordering Tires you can't get at tire shops easily.

Major downside to ordering your tires online is paying to get them mounted balance Try Costco/bis/Walmart I've never been but I think they are usually very competitive

I would deff get an all season road friendly tire. You know that thing is doing 99.999% of its miles on dry highway. At's are going to be noisier,less mileage, less fuel economy, and more $. All for what? The two/three times your in a little snow?
Old November 20th, 2012, 08:18 AM
101stAirborne
Battle Ewing
1997 D90 LE 255/300

Registry
I put a leveling kit on my Silverado allows me to r

------ Follow up post added November 20th, 2012 05:53 PM ------

I put a leveling kit on my Silverado which allows me to run 285/65/18s. I saved a ton of money ordering them online but its expensive to constantly get them rotated. They are BFG ATs and I've gotten about 65k miles out of them but its time for new ones.

All tires are expensive right now and I don't see the price going down anytime soon. If ever
Old November 20th, 2012, 10:43 AM
jefhuf
Jeff Huff
'94 D90 ST #655
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by don View Post
Tirerack does have a nice price on them and had the best price on the mtr/k's on my 90. Part of the reason to stop at a local shop is to see what they look like in person. And just to see what the total cost would be with mount and balance
The other thing I have done with Tirerack is get them to deliver to a local shop (Merchants) and they normally get a good rate on the mount/balance. I wanna say the last time I did it I paid about $60 for all 4 to mount and balance
Old November 20th, 2012, 10:48 AM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

I pay $80 cash for mount and balance from my local guy and I just order from tirerack (I miss the days when I had access to a tirerack wholesale account). I am sure he would do it for less but anal retentive me insistents on new valve stems, stick on weights, and bead sealer.
Old November 20th, 2012, 02:02 PM
JohnsD90
John

Registry
Quote:
The other thing I have done with Tirerack is get them to deliver to a local shop (Merchants) and they normally get a good rate on the mount/balance. I wanna say the last time I did it I paid about $60 for all 4 to mount and balance
Thats what i pay for mount and balance when i bring tires.
Old November 20th, 2012, 02:55 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnsD90 View Post
Thats what i pay for mount and balance when i bring tires.
Around here its $28 for mount and balance of 4. One of the small consolations of living in bfe.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
tire, tires